Cold Turkey Tramadol WD for First Time.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I've had issues on/off with prescription meds for a while, nothing extreme, but it's not something I've ever really discussed with anyone. So I deal with it alone. That's why I'm here.

I was prescribed Tramadol a few months ago due to back pain. I'm out of Tramadol now for a week. I'm not given a whole lot per month but I always find myself running out early as I'm only supposed to stick to 3x 50mg per day. I take about 200mg daily right now down from 400mg daily. Yesterday I took 150mg.

I have been 24 hours now without it. I take pregablin also so that's kept me calm. I am feeling okay apart from a little RLS in my knees.

What can I expect? How can I cope, I've a whole week of work now ahead of me so I have to pretend to be normal. I'm very prone to depression.

I will continue to take it when my pain is really bad, but I'd rather not take it every day. Eventually, I'd like come off it altogether and live a healthier life.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. smile

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi there is only 1 way to come off this drug and that is to taper down slowly, taking more one day than another will only make it more difficult and going cold turkey is a nightmare you need to get as much support as you can as it is a hard long road of good days and bad,I wish you all the best and hope you succeed, Belinda.
    • Posted

Thank you Belinda,

If I'm not feeling terrible after 28 hours, is this a good sign? I have amitriptyline to help me sleep tonight so hopefully that'll help.

• Posted

When I started coming off tramadol I tried cold turkey and only lasted 15 days before I really felt like crap and couldn't continue, started again by tapering down am still working at it have gone from 400mg per day to 37.5 per day so still fighting the battle,try not to reply to much on medication for sleep if you can.

• Posted

Hi, how long were you on it? I’ve been on 300 mg one extended release for about 5 years. Post back surgery pain. Just went to 200 mg last week and feel pain is worse and I’m achey, exhausted and crampy all over. Is that normal? Thanks 🙏 

• Posted

HI if you take tramadols for you pain and if you stop taking them how can you live a healthier life. if you stop taking them and live with pain you cannot have a healthier life. with pain can you I am saying this because I been on tramadols for very long time and is the only tablet that well relive the pain so I field ok but if I don’t take it I field the pain and miserably so that for me is not a healthier life is it .but I am please that I start taking 4 x 50 mg at day and now I only take one 50 mg a day and makes pain free and happier best like  Regards?
    • Posted

Thanks!

Well I don't have any tramadols until next Wednesday at the earliest becauss what my doctor prescribes me isn't enough. Maybe that's something I need to discuss with him, but I'm afraid if I ask for more he will take them from me. Having said that, I don't want to take them forever. And I am hearing horror stories about wds. I'm really afraid.

• Posted

Don't be afraid we all have weakness with these tabs as they rewire your brain even if you have pain they stop the body from dealing with this pain naturally,it's an addictive drug you didn't ask for this neither did I be strong and stay the course good luck.

• Posted

No probs just remember your not on your own ok,just be honest with yourself and others yeah.
    • Posted

It's now 72hrs since my last dose...and haven't had much wd apart from a little RLS and anxiety... which has eased. Tbh, I think the pregabalin may be blocking it which I've found before with codiene. Maybe I'm lucky this time.

• Posted

Hi there, Gemmy2685! I was put on Tramadol after a botched knee surgery & several knee surgeries to follow. It’s a great med to relieve pain but it does need to be taken ONLY as directed. It’s is extremely addictive. I’ve never had an issue with drugs before. I don’t even drink alcohol. After being on it for about 2 years, I craved it more because I needed more to help with my pain. I can’t believe I became addicted. My body was addicted to the med; I was addicted to not being in pain. After 2 years, I got so tired of having to go see a pain doc that I decided to stop taking it. I decided to stop it almost cold turkey. I went from taking anywhere to 400-600mg/day to only taking 150mg/day. Shew! It was absolutely miserable. I went into full blown w/d’s. I was so determined to get off of it that I still had an entire prescription left & not once during those w/d’s did I touch another Tramadol. It literally took me 4 weeks to finally feel better. The anxiety was horrible & that actually stayed with me for a few months. I no longer have any after effects of the w/d’s. I also take Lyrica for the nerve damage done to the knee & that didn't help at all with the w/d’s. It was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever been through in my life. I got no sleep, was extremely anxious (never had anxiety before), horrible sweats, irritable, diarrhea, etc. I even worked through that ordeal & tried to stay busy. As hard as it was, I even exercised then I’d come home & soak in a hot epsom salt bath.  I now have to deal with the pain & it hasn’t been easy. I still have a prescription of Tramadol but now I only take 1 when I’m feeling at my absolute worse. I even gave the bottle to my fiancé to hide & he gets me one when I ask. The greatest thing now is that I can take just 1 of the 50mg pills & it helps with the pain; whereas before I’d have to take 2 or 3 pills for pain control. It’s not an easy drug to stop. I stayed at that 1 1/2 pills for about 2 months then I slowly tapered down 1/2 pill & stayed with that for 2 weeks or until I felt comfortable with the tapered dosage. Coming off Tramadol has been so liberating. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. It's now been 72 hours. I didn't have a lot of Wd thanks to pregabalin I guess. Or maybe I hadn't developed much dependance yet. Now, like yourself, I think it's time for me to develop a healthier relationship with Tramadol.

• Posted

Hi, how long were you on a high dose? I’ve been on 300 mg for about 5 years. Trying to get off and just went to 200 mg time release. I’m in pain, exhausted and hurt all over. Not sure normal. I want to quit but pain is worse. Is this normal and does it get better? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.