Colonoscope .

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my first colonoscope today . Didn't go well , had to be abandoned half way through .  I was doing ok till it got to a part that was really painful , so I asked for sedation , then I've no idea what happened , woke up in room to be told, it wasn't safe to be carried out so it had to be stopped. 

Now I've to wait to see if I can get another 1 only have a general anaesthetic , or a ct scan . After drinking 2 litres of the most disgusting potion ever .im so upset 😕

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so very sorry for you that it didn't go as planned. If it helps, these are my prep tips for the next time so taking the liquid is easier:

- go on a red meat free diet for a full week before

- try to stick to soups for that week

- mix the prep in a pitcher and only pour out half a glass at a time so that it's not over facing. 

- sip it through a straw- put the straw as far back in your mouth as possible and hold your nose while drinking

- immediately drink something such as elderflower cordial

- suck on a barley sugar a little

- rest and repeat

- for the other end- apply a baby barrier cream before it starts and after each motion, and you won't raw up

- use hypoallergenic baby wipes too.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi Rachel , the first litre was the worst , but then I read that you could make it into a slush , so it was part Icy . This made it go down a lot easier .   I'd been putting Vaseline on my bottom & using baby wipes to help , my diet is ok & im a vegetarian .  Really thought I'd be able to cope with the pain ,  I think once the drugs started kicking in , I was a bit hard to cope with , the nurse said it could have been me trying to get up that they'd to stop .  I can't remember anything as soon as the sedation started. 

• Posted

Hi Therese

Sorry to hear you are one of the people who have a problem with colonoscopy.  I too have been through the same thing.  Mine was stopped half way through, even though I was sedated.  I can vaguely remember crying out with pain.  I was told afterwards I have Diverticular Disease, and that one of the diverticula was in such a position that the scope could not pass it safely.  The endoscopist was concerned about causing a rupture.  I had to go through the prep a 2nd time a few weeks later, when I had a barium X-Ray.

Fast forward 16 years and my GP referred me for another colonoscopy, with I suspect the same disgusting liquid prep you had, despite me telling both her, then the hospital, that the previous attempt had to be abandoned.  Needless to say they ignored my comments, and my hospital records, and insisted in trying again, with the same result.  This time I was told in addition to the diverticula I had an abnormally thickened and twisted colon.

So my experiences might offer two possible reasons why your scope was halted.  I had a CT scan a week later, and this was a piece of cake.  The prep, which contains a contrast dye, was just 100ml of an acceptable aniseed flavoured liquid, taken twice, 12 hours apart.  The scan itself was virtually painless, just a bit of bloating from the air.  All over in about 20 minutes from start to finish, and I was on my way home.  Best wishes for a better experience.

• Posted

Hi Felinia. Yes, I'm still here and reading the posts from familiar names and other people. Just heard that my surveillance colonoscopy is early January. Something to look forward to over the Christmas and New Year season! It's the one they do 3 years after the first yearly one, i.e. four years after surgery. I've been ok with CEA tests so far, but like everyone, it's a nervous time. Hopefully all will be well. Best wishes to you and everyone. And a hello to Joann who will probably read this. Enjoy your shopping in the snow!  [biggrin] ?

• Posted

So sorry. Hope this can be over soon. I go in next month. Not looking foreword to it . Have to have it done every two years. Each time it never seems to get any easier. I read on another post in this category about a different prep for colonscopy. Prepopik if I remember right. It a prescription . I'm asking about it next month. 

Stay well , stay healthy! 

• Posted

Try and find out from them what the problem was: was it your reaction to the pain or that your gut had an unusual shape or some other problem. You are entitled to know. That would help plan your next step. Most people can put up with the discomfort (not pain) but if it is actual pain that is really bad luck particularly if you have slugged back that laxative mixture. My colonoscopist uses water and administers both sedation and buscopan and it is very trouble free but sometimes the shape of a person’s gut is just difficult for the test. Anyway, I would press them to tell you why they abandoned it and said it wasn’t safe.

Good luck, anyway.

• Posted

Thanks ,  I've to phone on Monday so I will ask then for more information .  I've a smear test booked for the afternoon , so I'm hoping that goes ok , it's just made me scared now .  I'm still in bed from last night because the room is still spinning from sedation .   It does help to know I'm not the only one who's had to abandon it . Burst out crying as soon as they told me , felt so stupid & weak . My heart rate was 122 , the whole thing is making me so anxious . 

• Posted

Ah Therese, I've just come home from a very similar experience, they had to abandon mine too because I was in too much pain in the sigmoid area and I've got to go back in the new year. Dreading it! Annoyingly I was feeling perfectly fine about it prior to the procedure but like you I just burst out crying afterwards! Ugh. Really didn't want sedation but apparently next time I've got to so hopefully that'll help.

All the best to you.

• Posted

Oh god Anna what a nightmare eh .  I've still got vertigo ! Got tablets off doctor for that , still awaiting the report on colonoscope .  I'm asking for a ct scan instead , there's no way I'm going through that again , bad enough the procedure without the added drama from sedation . 

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy yesterday after 6 weeks of becoming ill. 

The colonoscopy had to be abandoned as I wasn't clear enough. The whole experience was shocking. I went in the room and the porter was asked if he was going. He said no I think I'll stick around! He stated in and chatted to the the nurse who was supposed to be there fir me! I was left with the gas n air to do myself with no one to talk to. She then came and looked at the screen and said" ur still not flushed out. Have u been overindulging over Christmas! I said my appetite wasn't good so no I hadn't! I felt absolutely stupid! I was then wheeled out by the porter and put in recovery. The other nurse checked my obs and gave me a drink. She then said I could go. I then had to point out that I had a needle in my arm. Shocking! Hope u have a better experience than I did. Got to wait now fir another appointment with 4 sachets of citrafleet. 

I really don't want to go through all that again! 

• Posted

Which hospital was that?  Mine insisted I had 5 days low residue diet before going onto the 2 day fluids only before taking the prep.  You might want to try that next time.  Far less going in, so less to come out.  Never heard of Citrafleet but the active ingredients were the same as the 2 preps I had. 

Next time kick up a fuss if a non medical man wants to stay in the room.  Make him wait outside.  And make a complaint to the hospital - NOW - about him and the nurse who wanted to send you home with a needle in your arm.  If you don't complain they'll think they can keep getting away with appalling practice.  I complained about the butcher that left my hand blackened and swollen still 10 days after multiple failed attempts to get a needle in - and I have good veins.  Even then he missed and so I got no sedation.  Sorry for your experience.

• Posted

Hi, it was my local hospital. It's made me think that I might not bother going again and see if there's anything else I can have instead. 

Thanks fir your advice. 

• Posted

I actually meant UK or USA as treatment differs.  Was this done for a reason or just a routine well-woman check?  I know the USA does them as a matter of course, but in the UK we get sent testing kits to do at home and return.  The colonocscopy is only done then if there is evidence of blood.

But yes, the alternative is a CT scan or, if you go privately, swallowing a camera and retrieving it at the other end a few days later!!  Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you. It's the uk. Sorry fir the confusion. 

Feeling very sorry for myself today, even thought about ending it all. I've just had enough to be honest. 

• Posted

For god sake Deborah that's unbelievable ,  don't go through that again , insist on a ct scan . I'm still waiting for my results but I'm not having another colonoscopy .  

• Posted

Can I insist on a scan instead then? I think I'd rather have that tbh. Let me know how u get on x

• Posted

To be honest, it sounds as though it is the hospital that is the problem rather than the procedure. No test is 100% accurate and things get missed whatever procedure you have but colonoscopy is still the gold standard for being most likely to pick something up. The other problem is this: if, for instance, they find a polyp, the scan can’t remove it. You would need a colonoscopy to do that.  I would tell your GP you had a bad all round experience at your local hospital and try and get you referred to another one nearby.
    • Posted

I think you're right. I'll speak to gp and see what she suggests. Thanks for your advice 

• Posted

Hi Therese

I go in for colonoscopy meat week . I was wondering what your doc uses for prep ? 

I have read about others on this forum who used Prepopik see online. It has a easier prep than the conventional type. Omg 😲 I have to wear adult 

disposables it's just never ends! Constant and is very dehydrating and very hard on my poor bum! I have this every 2-3 years. How often is yours?

• Posted

omg wish this forum had edit.  Meat should be next!
    • Posted

Hi hope4cure. Mine is on 9th January, ?four years after surgery. For some reason, I'm already quite nervous, even though I'm told that it's not enough time, (3 years after the last one,) for anything nasty to develop. And if there are polyps seen, they can cut them out! So, good luck for yours, we can compare notes later. Happy New Year to everyone. 27 hours to go where I live. Might go outside then, look at the stars and go back to bed....

• Posted

Yes exactly I have had many puylops some pretty cancerous. The conventional prep is really tough on me. I have IBS so it just exacerbates the whole system.

Heres to a better 2018. And good luck 🍀To you !

Have a Happy New Year!🎉

• Posted

pre cancerous not pretty. Spell do annoying and no edit! 😡

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.