Colonoscopy - anyone gone through this story?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sunday lunch-time I had a colonoscopy. I followed everything I had to before hand. When I went in to theatre I was greeted by 3 doctors, 1 was probably the anaesthetist the other a nurse and then the doctor. They began feeding the drug into the cavitor and straight after that the scope began entering me. Straight away I was in pain! I was thinking this shouldn't be that painful after what I read. I even watched a video on YouTube, looked painless. I was telling them it hurts it's sore! They carried on, I was making noise , then they added more drugs and before I knew it I woke up in the day ward. I felt ok. I had a tea and biscuits and was picked up by my partner by car and went home. He even made a comment that "you seem ok you sat in the car fine"

We got home, I changed into my pjs, had some toast and tea and then went to bed. I didn't sleep I just laid down and watched tv. 4 hrs later when the drugs wore off I began to feel a pain in my tummy. I thought maybe I need to go to the toilet. I did and I went it was very dark. I didn't really take any notice about it only that I thought how quickly it had changed from yellow to the darkness so quickly. I went back to bed. Pain starting to become stronger. I thought this is probably to be expected? In the end I couldn't cope. I got my paper work out what the hospital gave me and read it. I had diverticulitis and they had done a biopsy. The dish charge letter had also on there if pain and toilet is dark to go to A&E . I phoned them told them what I was feeling and they said come in.

I arrived in A&E in pain and floods of tears. I couldn't sit I was leaning against the wall. The pain I was in I felt I was there forever! A&E was very busy! I could be in there all night I thought like this in pain. The pain level was 10! Excruciating. Finally I had my name called. They took details, temperature , blood pressure then fed a IV into my arm and gave morphine. It didn't touch the pain it was awful. 12.30pm was the colonoscopy-7.00pm arrived at A&E - 800pm see the nurse .i had an X ray also. After I have to go and see a doctor in A&E I told him what happened . He wanted to feel my tummy. I warn him not to date to touch where the pain is killing me. Next another doctor see's me... again I tell him what happened, he also wants to feel my tummy, again I say the same to him. By the way I'm still crying throughout. The doctor tells me he wants to admit me to hostpital . I am then taken to another part of the hospital. The doctor I have to see as well as a few more patients he disappears . It's now midnight. An emergency has come up. By 1.30 am I tell my partner go home. He's got work in the morning. 2.00am doctor comes back and is ready to see me. He looks exsausted. Goes through my file. Apologises about the paperwork. Reads my notes then asks me what happened . I tell them he goes and says I will be back! He comes back with a registra doctor . We chat and he says my colon may have been punctured when they did the biopsy. He ordered a CT scan which I had done 3.30am then I was taken to the ward in bed at 4.15am.

The CT scan showed I had blood on the outside of my colon wall and I have an infection. I'm still in hospital still in pain on antibiotics. Trying to eat today as I've been nil by mouth. And now just waiting for the doctor to see what is happening?

So they is my experience, I hope no one else has to go through this. I thought I would be back to work today? Instead I'm lying in a hospital bed.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi amanda so sorry to hear this you poor thing it can happen to anyone some say the tubes cannot be steralised like other instraments allways a chance i supose.there tests are so painfull for some i had 3 in the and last 4 mths as i had big polps on my colon to be removed and dreading going back in 3 yrs.hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply shirley. I'm just one of the unlucky ones. Since posting. My gallbladder has become aggravated. I'm waiting to have that removed. Who knows they may do it whilst I'm already in hospital? 

• Posted

Colonoscopes are sterilised but the bowel is obviously not and when anything from the bowel gets outside it wii cause infection, it is not the scope. When I had mine some days ago the doctor went through the consent and explained that perforation is a risk, albeit small. I understood that and like you had read the paperwork on what to do if I passed blood after going home. Sorry for your experience but it happens, hope you get well soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.