Colonoscopy Day

Posted , 7 users are following.

So today I have my colonoscopy at 2pm. Don't know why but I'm really nervous. Had my first moviprep at 7pm last night, waiting to start the second on at 6am this morning, is it normal to have a really dry mouth despite the amount of water I'm drinking?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

It's normal to feel nervous about having a colonoscopy, I've had two now and even though the first one was a good experience, I was still nervous with the second one. It's not normal to have a tube put up your backside and there are risks, but luckily they are extremely rare and I'm sure the procedure will go as planned. Some people report of not being able to remember the procedure at all, I have no recollection of my first one, but the second I was alert all the way through, and even though I was alert it was not that bad experience at all, some pain when they blow air inside to inflate the colon, but as long as you pass wind you won't feel a great deal of discomfort. Have you opted for sedation and pain relief? Just relax and I'm sure you will come out the hospital wondering what you were so nervous about.

As for the dry mouth, it's quite likely you are getting this because of the bowel prep. Your colon is drawing lots of water from your intake to effectively wash out your colon, ready for the scope, so you may well be feeling a bit dehydrated.

All the best and I'm sure all will be fine.

• Posted

Try not to overthink it .  I had mine on Friday , wasn't a good experience . I went in with the intention of not taking the sedative but had my arm ready incase I needed it .  Half way through I asked for sedation as it was too painful . After that I have no idea what happened but when I woke up I was told it had to be abandoned as it was too unsafe to carry on .  When I got home I was very teary & emotional & tired . I now have severe vertigo & have fallen over a couple of times.   I am going to speak to consultant today to ask for ct scan . 

There are loads of people who have the procedure with no problems & there are those who experience a bad reaction to the sedative etc .  All I can advise is to keep an open mind , try & relax as much as possible , when u come out drink as much water as u can . And rest . Sometimes it doesn't hit u for a couple of days just how weak ur body is .  Good luck . 

• Posted

Thank you. This is about my 15th one and for some reason this had affected me more than the rest.
  • Posted

You will be fine.  I was so nervous and my mouth so dry during the procedure too, I could hardly talk. I opted for no sedation as like to be aware and in full control of myself. It was fine, only a bit painful in three spots where I did deep  breathing  slowing to take my mind off it. 

The Dr was lovely and kept checking all was ok. 

I suppose it depends on what is wrong with your colon and how careful the Dr is. I found drinking the stuff the worst, 😩

Let us know how you got on. 😊

• Posted

How did the procedure go I’m due one Friday and very nervous 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

I've had two now and for each I was very nervous, I'm a bit of a wimp really and the thought of any hospital procedure scares me, so I know how you are feeling.

From my experiences the worst part is definitely the bowel prep, it made me feel quite unwell and it's very unpleasant. Advice for this is be close to a toilet, have wet wipes and vaseline to hand, make sure your tablet or ipad is fully charged and keep up the fluids. The actual colonoscopies went fine, however I did opt for pain relief and sedative and if you are able to I would do the same, it really does help. I don't recall anything from the first one, as for the second one the only discomfort I felt from the colonoscopy itself was from having air pumped into me to expand the large intestines to help give clearer image of your insides. My advice there is to pass wind, it really does help. Once I passed wind I felt more comfortable and was able to watch the whole procedure on the screen and didn't think anything of it really (probably the sedative helped with that).

You will be fine I'm sure, it's really not that bad.

All the best and I hope it goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.