Colonoscopy experience - by a white coat syndrome suffered

Posted , 1 user is following.

I felt the need to share my colonoscopy experience to help reassure folks.

Some background - I have horrendous health anxiety, white coat hypertention so the prospect of the colonoscopy had me totally overwhelmed.

I recently had my 1st acute diverticulitis flare that would not subside for 3 months and 3 lots of antibiotics. As per protocol a colonoscopy had to been arranged to rule out anything sinister and to see how advanced the DD was.

I was given Plenvu as bowel prep and whilst it's not the nicest tasting, it was not as bad as I had anticipated. Be sure to get the extra fluids in and be prepared for some bloating, strange rubblings and once you 'start', 2 hrs back and forth to the toilet. Try and get some sleep before the next morning dose (which works much quicker than the 1st)

Expect to 'pee' out of your bottom - that's the best way I can describe it !!

At the hospital, as expected my BP went through the roof, so it was touch and go as to whether they would do it. They did.

I was advised to have the conscious sedation and pain relief (administered by canula). Thoroughly recommend you do this.

I didn't feel any pain, just a few strange sensations as the scope went round the bends. Even with sedation I was fully conscious, watched the screen as it was being done - fascinating ! Asked the team questions as we went along.

Over in 30mins.

Will take a day to stop feeling groggy post sedation and nerves (if you're like me).

I was totally taken aback how smoothly it all went and would like to reassurance anyone facing it that there really isn't anything to worry about.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.