Colonoscopy result - anyone else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been suffering with constipation for a long time but suddenly for the last year or so things became a lot worse and nothing I was prescribed seemed to have any effect, so my GP referred me to see a Consultant who recommended a colonoscopy. This was actually my third attempt, as with the first one I was prescribed Moviprep which didn't agree with me and I ended up vomiting for twelve hours so the test was unable to go ahead. The second time I was prescribed Picolax which I tolerated better but it wasn't very effective in clearing my bowel, so the procedure had to be stopped again as the Doctor could only get as far as the Sigmoid part. The third and final time (yey!) was several days ago where the Doctor again was unable to get all the way around as my ascending colon was too long and twisted! I was told that this could be due to scar tissue as I had undergone abdominal surgery when younger so I've now been referred for a CT scan to take a look at the last part of my colon. I'm interested to know if anyone has the same problem with a twisted colon and what treatment if any, did they have? Also since the procedure four days ago I've yet to have a bowel motion and was wondering if this is normal?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Exact same with me, 4 years ago now. Nothing was found on the CT scan.

Consultant reckoned I had a touch of irritable bowel syndrome and I had to find my triggers and amend my diet accordingly. I still get the odd attack depending on what I've been eating.

Keep a food diary and see if there are any food types that could be causing your problem, good luck and let us know how your getting on.

• Posted

Thanks Puppyluv. Its funny you should mention diet as I've always been told by professionals to 'eat more fibre' which strangely enough has always made my constipation worse! Am I right in thinking then there is no specific treatment for a twisted colon other than a change of diet? I also suffer with a lot of right-sided stabbing pains and trapped wind and I'm hoping that I can be prescribed with something to help with this as some days its very debilitating.

• Posted

A dietician told me that a high fibre diet isn't suitable for everyone.

As for trapped wind, yes a twisty bowel can cause gas pockets.

Eating and chewing slowly and burping, helped to lessen excess wind passing into my bowel. I also found taking to charcoal tablets just before meals helped enormously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.