Colonoscopy stressed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 56 and have Benn getting a scope every 3 years, just because of my grandfather having it, been getting this done for the last 9 years with no problems, this time I'm really stressed out probably because I've diagnosed with acid reflux and on medication for that, taking pantoprazole 40 mg. That's kind of my question does anybody know if this medication can make you really constipated, that's what I'm stressing about, whether or not this medication is doing this or if I have some different issues

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes it can. It depends on the individual. If you have recently started taking it and recently developed constipation it is likely there is a connection. I would try boosting your fibre and liquid intake and seeing if that helps. If it does then the cause of the constipation is probably linked to your medicine or just a bout of constipation that everyone gets from time to time. That class of drug does not affect me that way, but Metformin (the diabetic drug) does do that to me even though for most people it has the opposite effect. Interestingly I had my DNA done by sending a sample and the most interesting section was on possible drug interactions where my DNA showed a more than average chance that I would have an a-typical reaction to Metformin. So it is very individual. Some people must have had constipation with the acid relieving drugs you are on because it is reported in the leaflet you get as a possible side effect. If it clears with some added fibre easily purchased at the chemist (but drink plenty of liquid too and give it a couple of days) then it's unlikely to be anything more. If that doesn't work and the constipation worsens then I would see the doctor. I have to say that if you are getting 3 yearly colonoscopies then the chance of something developing to the stage of blockage in that time frame would seem to me pretty remote.
  • Posted

Hi bruce, I am also on Pantoprazole but 20mg, I haven't noticed any bowel changes at all with it.  I don't know if it is stated on the information sheet as a side-effect.  Be worth checking on yours.  Getting stressed isn't going to help.  It could be something unrelated to the medication.  IBS I understand causes bith loose and firm bowel movements.  I also take Fybogel which helps to keep your bowels right.  Try not to stress about it.   Hopefully it will be found out on the next scope. 
  • Posted

A common side-effect of Pantoprazole is constipation. Try not to worry - sounds like you don't have any other 'red flag' symptoms i.e. bleeding, diarrhoea, pain, etc and you've been having regular surveillance screening for a while now (well done!) so you're actually in a better position than most of the general population as you're being monitored. Best of luck for your next check up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.