Color of Sputum

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is it normal to have greener or yellowish sputum in the morning? Or does it mean infection. I was diagnosed with BX 3 months ago and never had an exacerbation.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Mine differs but on the whole it starts off yellowish and goes greener and darker as the day does on. if mine is green from the off, it usually means my one a day antibiotic needs a boost to fight infection.

• Posted

Mine is just yellowish or green in the morning and for the rest of the day it's pretty clear.Could that mean infection?

• Posted

Usually when I have an infection, my sputum color changes and I also have fever, chills, aches and fatigue. In those cases when more symptoms are present, I typically will drop a sputum sample by the lab for evaluation. Then my doctor will get the results (3-10 days) and prescribe a medication sensitive to the bacteria that showed up.

• Posted

P.S. I am not on a daily antibiotic.

• Posted

I am not on a daily anti biotic and if my sputum changes from white to green usually means I have an infection. My doctor leaves me a 5 day course of antibiotics to use at my discretion. I do not abuse and only use if I feel feverish and have the chills as well as the discolouration.

• Posted

How many times a year do you get an infection?

• Posted

A couple of times, I live out in the sticks, in mini mountains so good clean air no pollution except pollen. Do my shopping in the lunch hours when all good French housewives are cooking their husbands dinners ! Keep away from people with colds etc. I have 4 lung diseases (including bronchiectasis so have to be extra careful as now on oxygen.

• Posted

Hi Manu

i'm not on daily ABs and i never run a fever or get chills. We know i have an issue by the taste & darkenimg of my sputum & by the increase in my coughing.

With my lungs, i translate darker morning sputum to mean that the sputum has been collecting for 7-8 hrs while i sleep. Lying down is not particularly good for lungs.* This is part of why hospitals hound people to start sitting up & then walking soon after surgery: lessens chances of getting pneumonia.

They used to tell us that green automatically meant bad in mucus but here they no longer say that. i think Dr. Quack Quack Google still says that. For myself i wouldn't worry about sputum that changes as yours does. We are all different, tho, as you will have surmised from our varying replies. It is hard even 3 yrs after DX for me to know for sure when to call for ABs because i don't run fevers get chills etc. , but it was.so much harder that 1st year of the diagnosis. The general rule is when in doubt, call your doc.

Clear as mud, isn't it -- or should i say clear as a healthy lung's sputum (sorry, could not resist). Every now and then we have a round of What Color and Texture is Your Sputum? It's a slightly disgusting game which amuses only BXers and pulmonoogists.

• Posted

oops, forgot the asterisk.

*yes, lying down during postural drainage/using a lung pounder can be good

• Posted

I also have BX.My sputum is usually light straw coloured but can be darker without infection although greenish or yellowish might indicate infection for which you will need antibiotics.If you haven't got pain in the chest or feel unwell it may be nothing to worry about.

• Posted

It is normal just watch for color deep green, dark like pus, brown or red.

• Posted

I am currently being investigated for Bronchiectisis and have suffered chest infections for many years, my Dr often says my chest is clear yet within days i have deteriortated and end up back again getting antibiotics, she now listens to me as once the pain comes in my shoulders chest and back its a sure sign of infection.

Patients know their own bodies and need to be listened to, i feel lucky that even though i havent had my diagnosis i have a physio and COPD service are involved

• Posted

Hi Anne

My pulmonologist taught me something valuable. Every time any medico listens as you breathe, inhale & exhale through your mouth. i might not be as bad off as i am had i known this 10-15 yrs ago. Even now, my lungs that sound awful thru the stethoscope breathing w/open mouth, sound just fine if i inhale/exhale deeply w/closed mouth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.