Colposuspension recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have a bladder prolapse and stress incontinence and my surgeon recommended the colposuspension as this would lift the prolapse and fingers crossed stop the leaks.

I had my op 5 weeks ago and my wound has healed really well and the prolapse feels a lot better ( still feel it a little but no where near the bulge pre op) and I’ve sneezed a couple of times with no leaks but my abdomen is still sore and uncomfortable. I’m having pains in my lower abdomen which feel like something is pulling and it is a stinging kind of pain and my upper abdomen is sore and uncomfortable especially when I get up. I wondered if this is normal at 5 weeks post op? Am I expecting miracles? Is recovery a lot longer than 5 weeks? I'm trying to take it easy and not do too much as I don’t want to undo the good work done by my surgeon.

I didn’t ask my surgeon when to start my pelvic floor exercises again, do you think it’s ok to start them now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My doctor called the device I had put in a Bladder Sling, it sounds pretty similar to what you have. Recovery for me was pretty quick, about 2 weeks, so I would talk to your doctor about that and the pelvic floor exercises.

• Posted

i had Burch Colposuspension surgery 2 years ago. it was abdominal surgery and it took me a long time to recover. i was off work for over 3 months. it has been a great success and i am delighted i had it done, however, i wish I had known more about post op recovery. I think you need to listen to your body, dont do any lifting or heavy housework for at least 8 weeks. i felt discomfort and a heavy sensation for about 8 weeks, like I'd done a load of sit ups and my stomach muscles were sore. If you have any concerns at all I would contact a member of the nursing staff on the ward ( hopefully they gave you a number to call) Don't bother with your GP as they dont seem to know much about the procedure. Remember that you have had MAJOR surgery, dont treat it lightly and dont take advice from people who have had hysterectomies as its a totally different issue. You havent had something removed, youve had your bladder repositioned and its now attached to your pubic bones...it will take time to recover. It was a slow process for me but I don't regret having it done. Hope this helps a bit, just rest and recover and take care X

• Posted

forgot to add that I was advised to avoid exercise, especially running, however, I resumed pelvic floor exercises as soon as it felt right and was comfortable.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply and all your really helpful advice. It's good to hear from someone who has had the same operation. My op was abdominal too and I don't think I had appreciated just how big a surgery it was. I will put my feet up for a bit longer and take it easy, I don't want to undo all the work done by my surgeon. I'm really pleased that your op has been a success. I'm sure if I take my recovery slowly mine will be too x

• Posted

Thanks very much for your posting. Your post op symptoms are similar to what I'm experiencing (just had it done end August 2022) - the heavy sensation and sore muscles. It's very reassuring to be on this forum. I don't think I appreciated enough that I had major surgery and constantly need to 'go slow'.

• Posted

The abdomen needs to recover from the surgery in due time it will, and everything will go back to normal but in the meantime, take it easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.