Coming off amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have been on amitriptyline for 12 years taking a dose of 10 mgs. It was to help with insomnia and pain from fibromyalgia. I have always struggled taking it, feeling groggy most of the day but continued as I am very sensitive to drugs and can not tolerate many medications. I had tried many other tablets.

However my GP wanted me to come off it altogether as the grogginess was still happening even on 5mg dose and taken early evening.

I have been off the meds for 6 days now and really don't feel well. Awful headache and feel very muddled. I am also so very tired. I appreciate people can suffer withdrawal, but am frightened this is how I will feel for the rest of my days.

I really want to stay off this medication but feeling rather anxious about the whole process.

It would be lovely to hear from anyone re their experiences , thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I also have been on it for 10 years and have tried several methods to come off. what I do know is that you need to taper your tablets over many, many months in order to eliminate withdrawal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.