STRANGE migraines anyone???

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am just waiting for an appointment with a neurologist to confirm (and rule out anything serious) but my GP has said i probably have a very strange type of migraine.

Symptoms started last week sometime with my right eye feeling odd, sore, prickly.

Sunday i fell asleep in the day and woke up with my eye blurry and started to get blind spots and wavy lines in it. This has happened before with a migraine but this time no headache came.

Monday and i start to get odd feelings and a lot of pain in my right arm and leg and then facial numbness on the right side

I put up with it for 2 days and went to the docs last night. She found nothing wrong and thought thats what it was.

I felt awful yesterday i started feeling nauseus around lunch and got a headache - when that came the numbness went away.

I had a headache right up until this morning on the right hand side - could literally draw a line down the middle of my head and the pain covered the whole right side

That has now gone and facial numbness is back.

Its scary - im 22 female and otherwise healthy.

I had no idea migraines lasted for a week or more but the doctor said it was possible with some weird types of migraine and mine sounds very similar to one

Anyone else had or have migraines like this??

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there yes i have experienced this sort of migrain but it afects my left hand side to the extream that i loose the use of it. It starts in my eyes with the same symptoms u have discribed then iget a stiff neck then a tingling shoots up and down my left then it goes numb and if i dont catch them in time it causes me 2 have black outs. I found my biggest cause was dairy products so i dont do dairy now i still get the odd migrain but no ware near as bad and my GP priscribed me 4.5mg pizotifen which i take every day.
  • Posted

hi I have loss of feeling on left side ,and looks like stroke to most people ,feeling returns within 24 hours usually although mine has been a week at times, I have been diagnoised with severe hemiplegic migraine ,i dnt always have headache when it happens but do later, all my tests have come back clear even mri scan which is usual for this type of migraine hope this helps
  • Posted

I AM LUCKY IN NOT GETTING SYMPTOMS VERY OFTEN BUT I DONT GET HEADACHES. JUST AURAS AND AFEELING OF NAUSEA. I GET A CIRCLE OF STARS OVER MY HEAD ON ONE SIDE WHICH LASTS 15 MINUTES AND I MUST PULL IN IF I AM DRIVING AS VISION IS BLURRED. IF I GET HOT FROM WEARING TOO MANY CLOTHES USUALLY WHEN I AM HUNGRY I GET CLAMMY AND SHAKY AGAIN ONLY FOR 10 MINUTES. THE WORST EXPERIENCE IS A FEELING OF NAUSEA WITH NOISES IN MY HEAD STOMACHE TURNING OVER THIS IS THE WORST OF MY ATTACKS AND LAST ONLY A FEW MINUTES AND IS RARE, I HAVE HAD A MRI SCAN AND NOTHING WAS FOUND THANK GOD . ALL THIS WAS WORSE WHEN I WAS WORKING IN A STRESSFUL JOB AND IS MUCH BETTER NOW I WORK FOR MYSELF
  • Posted

[b:fed17b234e][i:fed17b234e] i had to be admitted into the lri and have mutiple tests including ct scans just to work out that i have severe migraines. they make you believe you have something as serious as a brain tumour. i was put on pizotifen medication and now have major aggrestion and sometimes depression. te be honest, i do not know which is worst, the migraines or depression.

tell me if you went through this please so i do not feel like and alien[/i:fed17b234e][/b:fed17b234e]

• Posted

Mine start with a headache and I don't necessarily notice that it is going to be a migraine. My husband usually notices, or people that I know very well, as my speech becomes slurred and I start to become incoherent. When it gets very bad my husband says that I am very zombie like. At this point I usually haven’t noticed that anything is particularly wrong and so haven’t taken any migraine medication. I have been known to pass out and have also had hallucinations.

So, if I don’t get my meds in me in time the aura then comes which for me is tingling and blurry vision and this can last for over a week. Generally the horrid pain goes within a couple of days, but then I am left with the numbness and tingling. Usually all down my right arm, face and sometimes leg. I feel exhausted for ages after also. It is grim.

The migraine I have now hasn't had much of the aura symptoms but it has lasted for nearly 4 weeks now. I am at the end of my tether and really do want to sort this out (the Dr has prescribed me lots of pills, none of which have so far worked. Today he has given me some Amitriptyline). I cannot figure out any triggers. Painkillers do not work. I understand how scared you can get. A previous Dr reminded me that I had been to see him twice before thinking I had had a stroke (but I didn't recall that until he mentioned it to me). Luckily I don't have any dependants otherwise I don't know what I would do.

Driving is a worry, and I know I shouldn’t when the attack is really bad, but because I can’t think straight (and don’t realise that I can’t think straight) I do. There always seems to be a little bit of my head (bottom left side at the back) that says everything is normal and that I am fine… does anyone else get these sorts of things?? :roll:

• Posted

hi,

it sounds to me like hemiplegic migraines, these show their selves with similar symptoms as a stroke because as the name implies it gives you one sided weakness and sometimes paraysis.

I was diagnosed with these in Feb of this year along with a stroke but don't let that scare you it was not the cause of the stroke, you can get preventative medication if you find they are becoming regular and disabling.

The tablets I have been prescribed do not stop them completley but do reduce the severity enabling me to function day to day.

Go see your G.P if the get more frequent and mention the hemiplegia and ask his opinion you have nothing to lose, he may say that these symptoms you are experiencing are not atypical to hemiplegic migraines but he may investigate further.

hope you get sorted soon as they can be more than annoying.

lisadeejay.xx

• Posted

i have been getting migraine for nearly 2 years had them as a teenager when I was diagnosed with M.E. which i am now in remission but still suffer extreme fatique where i sleep through 1-2 days. I get daily migraine with loss of vision, facial droop and loss of power. My speech slurs and I sleep walk and talk more than usual. I have been tried on Amitryptilline, propranolol, atenolol, and now am on Pzotifen and Indometacin which worked for a while but now i am missing days from work and when my vision goes it takes 30 mins - 4 hours to come back which at first scared me but now i am used to it. I saw a neurologist 3 months ago who said - because i am having daily migraine some worse than others - i am in status migranous (prob wrong spelling) i currently have a migraine for 3 weeks now, some days severity lessens. It is debilitating and i am fed up. Any advice would be welcome.
  • Posted

Hi. I dont really consider myself to be a migraine sufferer. Like most people, ive had a few in my life (im 36) but what happened last friday was something else. I had had a fairly hectic day and returned home after work. On coming back downstairs the hallway seemed to bend inwards towards me, like something out of the Matrix. It felt as though my eyes were looking in 2 different directions and i could feel my eyeballs moving around uncontrollably under my eyelids.

My wife drove me to hospital and when i arrived I had an aura and could not see. I was checked over, bloods taken, ECG, blood pressure and everything was OK so I was sent home by which time i felt better. Later that evening the same thing happened again and this time my wife witnessed by eyes flickering involuntarily. I was very distressed at this point so she called an ambulance and back up to hospital we went. Again, i was checked over without any problem.

Since then i have had a background headache, feel like im in a dream like state and the occassional aura. Im hoping that this is just a migraine but have never experienced anything like this before. I did have a heavy cold/cough/virus a couple of weeks ago but other than this cant think of any cause.

Anyone had anything similar? I would be reassured to know that they have. Thanks

• Posted

You may be suffering from an allergy. Have someone look at your irises during an attack to see if the black is going in and out rapidly, expanding, contract, expand, contract and this movement causes the "WWWW"s that you see. A person looking into your eye will see this W with the expanding and contracting. I get it when ever I drink gingerale. No other drink but gingerale so it has to be an additive that one is extremely sensitive to...right? Write down what you have eaten after an attack and see if you can narrow in on it. Write to your Health Department if you are able to narrow it down. This type of migrane should be monitored by the Health Department as it may be the result of a semi-dangerous additive that may have an effect upon undeveloped fetuses. Some babies yet unborn may be effected and we don't know if the damage to them is permanent...right?
  • Posted

I am 27 years old. For a few days I have had a headache on my right side which goes with a numb feeling in my cheek. I have pain down my right neck shoulder and arm which goes to my hand. I went to my GP today and he gave me pain killers Naproxin I think they are. I have took 2 already and due to take my third one. He told me I have a migraine.

I have left for 15 hours last night and another 3 today after coming back from my GP. I still feel tired. I have never had a migraine before but I am scared to death that this is not just a migraine. Any comments will help me. Please, I feel stressed out and cannot stop crying.

• Posted

I have suffered for 14 years. Hospital visits, personal oxygen tanks. I began taking 'ratio tecnal' and worked real well to get rid of the aura. But still have a headache afterwards. I was getting more frequently at least 3 times/week in summer and some 2x per day. I had botox in October between eyes (deep frown lines).No migraine since then. I have been on amytriptilline (sp?) Since may and have gained 15 lbs. I eat right. And workout. Very disappointing.
  • Posted

I can't even walk when I have theses migraines because of how bad my numbness is I'm only 17 and they basicly parilize me
  • Posted

Yes, migraines are a tricky thing and present with all sorts of symptoms. I had them for twelve weeks straight last year. Here is what I've done with much success to avoid the drug route. Balance my hormones, reduce stress by meditation, prayer, exercise. Adjust diet to avoid triggers. Increase magnesium levels (magnesium glycinate), add preventive supplements such as butterbur, 5htp, B2, and feverfew. You can get a supplement that has all of these in it by Vitannica. I went to the ER twice because the symptoms mimicked stroke symptoms and they say not to mess around with them. Now I am calmer about odd episodes. Knowledge and an arsenal of things to do is very reassuring.   Feel better. You are not alone. You will be healed by taking the proper steps.    Take care, Patricia

p.s. do be sure to rule out anything more serious by getting an MRI and a CAT scan tho!

• Posted

I have suffered these horrible things for 51 years. When I was fourteen I experienced first a numbness that travelled from one arm to the other along with a feeling that my limbs belonged to someone else. My vision became strange and my speech unintelligible. There was no headache. Over the years I had various episodes and a doctor diagnosed my symptoms as migraine. I never had two that were the same and by my thirties the headaches began. Some were unbearable and no medication touched them. Now I experience confused vision: flashing lights, jagged, coloured lights, fuzzy patches, missing parts of sight and difficulty making sense of what I see. My thoughts are vague and it takes me longer to recover. I am at present a week into a migraine and taking amytryptyline with no effect. My vision is strained and I can't stand light of much intensity. I live a bit like a vampire. I am assured that the condition is not fatal and I will get better. Life is not worth living at the moment but I suppose it could be worse. It seems that the only cure is to do as much nothing as possible. Sorry to be of no comfort,

being optimistic

• Posted

Hi Robert, it's horrible to hear your pain, but we have all been there. 51 years though is a long time. I wish I could provide you with an answer to help you, but sadly I can only be of comfort. Just remember that it will pass, you will feel ok again, this is not the norm. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.