Does Atorvastatin (Lipitor) cause severe muscle pain

Posted , 31 users are following.

I had a heart attack in June 2012 and was put on many medications one of them being Atorvastatin (Lipitor) 40mg per day. After a couple of months I was in absolute agony with muscle pain which started in my left arm and shoulder, even had some numbness in fingers. The pain over the last 18 months or so has worsened going into my left shoulder and left side of my neck and now is in the whole of both my shoulders and all the back of my neck.The doctor has constantly denied it is any of the meds that I am taking and has sent me to physiotherapy many times, needless to say none of the various therapists have helped. I have been to see an osteopath, this didn't help either. I have had steroid injections into one of my shoulders, no help from that.

My pain gets worse by the week and is seriously affecting my daily life from work (I am a secretary) to driving to doing any of my enjoyed sports of fishing and golf.

I have spoken to many friends on this statin and they all complain of similar muscle pain. Why won't the doctors listen to me when I tell them this.

I have today stopped taking the Lipitor as I cannot take this pain any more. I have previously stopped this on two separate occasions and found the pain almost went away until the Doctors got quite stroppy with me and told me I was going against medical advice doing what I was doing in stopping the medication.

Is there others out there that have suffered this and have found what to do to get GP's to listen to their patient??

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Atorvastatin 40 mg is too much, very roughly equivalent to over 80 mg of Simvastatin, no wonder you are in pain neutral
    • Posted

I've at last been to my doctor after being on 80mg of Atorvastatin for 5 years and feeling like I've run a marathon everyday. 

He immediately reduced my dosage to 20mg. 

How long can I expect to wait before these symts recede?

• Posted

80 mg for 5 years eek To be honest I haven't got a clue neutral
  • Posted

I tried a number of statins including Atorvastatin and suffered muscular pain (mainly left shoulder and hip) so had to give up.

I recently agreed to try again but instead of following the instruction to take them last thing at night I take it with my evening meal. This is 40mg simvastatin; the result, in 6 weeks, is cholesterol reduced from 6+ to 3.4 and no side effects.

• Posted

RESULT!  Went to my GP's surgery yesterday requesting to see one of the other GP's.  I explained all my muscle problems since starting Atorvastatin 40mg together with my memory problems coupled with bouts of confusion.  He agreed with me - he thinks it is the statin.  He liaised with a senior partner who also agreed my statin needs changing.  He is going to review all my records/blood tests and change to another pill.  He also said that instead of being on Atorvastatin (one of the cheaper options) he feels a more expensive statin could be the solution.  I hope this works and rids me of these horrible side effects. I am so happy that I have found a GP in the practice that has listened to me finally!
    • Posted

Hi I have Peripheral Arterial Disease and take 80mg Artorvastatin.  The pain on exercise in calfs is due to the PAD in my case not the tablets.  Dr. Said I have to keep taking them.  I also take a herbal tablet that's meant to stop the affects of statins.  It's called Q10

• Posted

Hi Debra I would get checked out because I had similar symtoms for 2 years was sent to Orthopedics then Physio for 6 months and in the end was found to have badly blocked arteries (Non Smoker) after an Angiogram so completely Shocked when I was told I had to have Quadruple Bypass I am now on 80mg Atorvastatin which I am trying to get reduced because of the muscle pain especially in my Calf muscles when I exercise I would get checked out again after all you don't want another Heart Attack! 

• Posted

Hi i had heart attack last October was put on a cocktail of meds. After 2-3 weeks suffered with severe neck and  pain in both shoulders. the cardiac nurse advised me to stop atorvastatin for 2 weeks to see if it was that. All pain went and movement came back after a few days! Saw GP who said to try them again and since them I have got much worse. i cannot lie on my shoulders, get a jacket on and off or move my arms backward or stretch my arms to reach anything. Its agony. Have halved my dose, 5 days ago but not making much change .Will see my GP in 2 weeks.Hope I can come off them .
    • Posted

I have read your reply and I might as well have written it myself. Hips, both shoulders and elbows and unable to sleep or get a shirt or jacket on. My heart attack was february and I have 6 stents fitted. I'm on 80mg and my cardiologist said this week that I will be on it for life along with 8 other meds. Quality of life is crap and been pensioned off on ill health grounds but at least I'm still here for now!

• Posted

Hi I have had problems with high cholesterol for some time, I started with limited later switched to simvastatin but side effects made me stop for years, some time ago I started having problems with breathing and was diagnosed with asthma, during my physical my doctor found my cholesterol was very high and started me on atrovastatin, it was life changing in the worst way ever, I really wanted to get my cholesterol under control and it did go down significantly but at what cost, the symptoms started with dry mouth that wouldn't let me sleep at night, rock hard nodes in my neck that went away after 2 weeks but when the pain in my shoulder started I got worried, my doctor also insisted I shouldn't be having this problem, some weeks ago I stopped this medication so far the dry mouth has gone away but the arm pains are getting worst, so you are not alone, I am basically waiting too see if it will go away with time mean time I am trying to exercise the arm and not made any painfully movements that put me in extreme pain, good luck and hope things workout well with you.
  • Posted

I sympathise greatly Debra. I was put on Atorvastatin 80 mg 5 years ago after a stent to cure angina. All seemed fine at first but after a few months I had dreadful pains in my legs and couldn't walk properly. I stopped the statins for 3 months and the leg pains receded, but my cholestoral count went up. My GP was very understanding and put me on 20mg of Simvastatin which has been much better. I changed my diet to vegan with no added oil and the comination of new diet and new statin has been very successful in terms of mobility and cholestoral levels.
  • Posted

Hi Debra - your account is similar to mine. It is an automatic action of doctors to put anyone on statins who has a hint of a complaint about the heart. Having been a victim of Atorvastatin (80mg) for two years with many deteriorating side effects that were studiously ignored by doctors, I feel there is an ulterior motive for prescribing so many millions with this insidious specie of drug. Side effects are many and horrifying - some will be fatal.

I see you have been prescribed another type of statin now. Please monitor any changes in your health carefully. You haven't mentioned your cholesterol level. Please be aware that the "safe" level of cholesterol was lowered from 6.0 to 5.0 enabling millions more people to be prescribed a drug they do not need. Very best of luck to your future and your health.

• Posted

Hello debra97721

I am glad you had the strength to stop taking Lipitor since it made you feel so bad. I hope you are feeling better now,  

I took Lipitor for a very short time and almost immediately started experiencing a dry cough, tightness in the liver, and felt depressed and aggressive. At the time, I was running a lot, but when I went out to run on Lipitor I was really surprised at how much endurance I had lost and how much fatigue I felt in my muscles. I also didn't enjoy running at all. It was very unpleasant unlike before. So, I just stopped taking it. I listen to my body first if it tells me something is wrong with a medication and I really felt it with Lipitor. So then I started reading online and watching videos to find out about the potentially adverse effects of statins. First, I found that they block the production of Coenzyme Q10 which causes muscle fatigue and pain since this enzyme is a great powerhouse for cell development.. Many doctors believe that taking statins without Coenzyme Q10 leads to a greater risk of heart disease because it weakens the heart muscle. Therefore, many doctors prescribe Coenzyme Q10 with statins. Furthermore when taking statins, the small amount that the risk of a heart attack is reduced for those at high risk is offset by the higher mortality rate for patients who suffer a heart attack with low cholesterol and low lipid fat levels. Furthermore, low cholesterol levels increase the risk for cancer, alzheimer's and memory loss since cholsterol is one of the main ways the body fights off disease,  heals cuts and promotes mental sharpness; a disproportionately high amount of cholesterol is needed in the brain so that is why there is a higher risk of cognitive problems and diseases with low cholesterol levels. Considering your pain, I hope you have the strength to stay off of Lipitor. You can try eating red apples, oatmeal, beans, peas, beets and carrots.to reduce cholesterol levels naturally and garlic and onions for blood pressure and to increase immunity along with blood pressure medicine. Please remember that in addition to decreasing the level of cholersterol and Coenzyme Q10 in the body, statins also reduce the level of chemicals that control mood and emotions, Finally, the liver is the storehouse for Vitaimins A, D, E and K so the body's supply of all these vitamins is also depleted when statins are taken because statins block a lot of functions carried out by the liver in addition to blocking the production of cholesterol, which is essential for your body as well.. .      

On balance, I think the health risks and side effects of taking statin outwieight any benefits. So, I won't take them.      

I hope you feel better, debra97721, and that you find a treatment plan that is right for you.

• Posted

Hello  job2016

Thank for your comments on the adverse affects of statins. You'll see from my reply to debra97721 how I suffered on Atorvastatin 80 and recovered afterwards. I learnt a lot about the downsides of statins from your post and will be very wary now and keep a diary of their effects.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.