is stopping 200mg sertraline cold turkey dangerous?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey, I have been on sertraline for about 6 months, but only been taking 200mg for about 3 months. I ran out of tablets on Wednesday and cant get more until Tuesday. I feel awful, shaky, dizzy and totally out of it. It is like being drunk constantly, but not happy drunk it is a horrible feeling. I want to know if it is dangerous, because if it isn't I don't know if I will bother going back on them just to feel like this again if I want to come off them. I don't like having to rely on medication to be 'normal'. Has anyone else felt unsure wether to continue their meds or not? I feel like there isn't much point living if I am going to feel like this all the time. Without meds im a mess, emotions all over the place, and with meds im a zombie, and cut to feel pain, just so I can feel something. I have also recently found out from my boyfriend that he feels like I 'chip away' at him, which is not a nice thing to feel, and I don't know why I am bothering anymore. He also said he will leave me if I cut again. I just recently told him about the cutting and he flipped, which I understand but the way I have made him feel makes me feel like a worthless piece of shit that is just going to drag everyone else down with me if I carry on like this. He thinks im sick, as I replaced cutting with nipping myself til I bleed, hair pulling and head banging. I know how pathetic this all sounds and I am sorry but I really want to get some advise. Me and my partner have been together nearly 7 years. This depression and anxiety has only been going on a few years but this year it has went extreme and I don't think my bf can cope. I have no idea hat to do and any advice would be most appreciated. I don't think he understands or believes mental illness and thinks I make things worse for myself as I over think and overreact and always think the worst, but I have tried to explain I cant help this and as much as I would love to not give a shit I do, when he leaves the house, to me he is dead, and point blank that is what goes on in my head, regardless how much I tell myself im being stupid, I know its stupid but I cant help it and he thinks I choose to think this way and I must say it pisses me off sometimes. I know this must be extremely hard for him too but I dont know what to do to help him. He is not willing to come to any of my therapy sessions with me or google my illnesses (I also have OCD and 'suspected BPD'' ) and I don't know what to do. Sorry to ramble, like I said im a but off my rocker at the moment. Thanks

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Pls ring 111 to find out where u cud go to a medical walk in clinic for more sertraline ASAP .i was taking 100mgs until Tuesday then thro gp reduced to 50 with diazepam added in case I got anxiety attacks due to withdrawal . Do not leave this til Wednesday this is dangerous 
    • Posted

Hey, thanks, i managed to get more. The withdrawl symptoms are awfull, and being on them i feel just takes everything that is left of me away. How long where you on them? Should i be feeling a difference after 6 months? I hope your doing well xx
    • Posted

Hi Rachael , sooooo glad u got more but this is really complex because it maybe sertraline is the right med for u but dose needs adjusting but because you have to give the adjustment a few weeks to be able to assess how you are the weeks and months roll on until next thing you know it's been a year , two u get the gist. Anyway I write a journal sometimes daily depends how I feel my sertraline reduction has stopped me feeling wired but I have needed the diazepam at times and my energy level has deteriorated significantly which I am really struggling with as I am a doer not great at sitting still for long , get easily bored but finally have a occupational health dr appt in May to consider psychiactric assessment. Keep in touch x
    • Posted

Hey, thanks!

I have been on 200mg for 3months now.

I also took the 100mgs for about 2months and the 50mgs for about a month.

My gp isnt very helpfull, when i was in on tuesday he said there was no point talking to him and just to talk to my therapist, which is fine but i only see my therapist once a month so i dont know hat to do in between.

I will continue with these and will discuss it with my therapist who i have next week. I also write, however when i read it back it just sounds like a crazy person has been writing!!

Im glad your feeling less wired, and sorry you feel so unenergised that is a horrible feeling! I am also a doer however i have been the same, soo tireed and no energy. Sometimes i will sit in my room for hours so i dont have to look and what i need to do (hoovering, mopping dusting ect) because the thought is just too much sometimes.

I am seeing a therapist and i does seem to help when i ever manage to say anything, and i am also waiting CBT and a psychiatrist appointment. I hope you manage to get the help and support you need!! Thanks for your advice! Let me know how you get on! Good luck xx

• Posted

I'm  taking it too and it makes me feel like I'm not myself. You should try taking it at night. 
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like a zombie on these, but i also still feel an overwhelming sence of worthlessness and anger and tearfullness but i dont know what to do with these feelings. I have tried taking both morning and night and nethere seems to ake much difference. How are you getting on with them? xx
  • Posted

I've been on 150mg for 3 months & didn't feel any benefit for at least 6 weeks and had terrible side effects of anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia. 3 months in and I still have very bad days but I have had days where I feel more like my old self too. I just know that I couldn't face coming off then or even phasing out to try something else. I hope you start to feel better soon. I saw a well being counsellor for first time on Tuesday and did feel that helped. Now have weekly appointments. X
  • Posted

Rachael are you still on this site.

I have read your post and i am in tears as i am exactly trhe same as you was and at the point of losing my bf and i am petrified and i dont know what more to do.

Last night we had a major row over a stupid little thing but hes obv been bbottling this up as he always says im unapproachable as i get upset and basciallyby bottling it all up he it erupted and i felt like the worst gf in the world.

I have been on sertraline for about 3 months now and am already at 200mg. I want to feel normal. I hate feeling like this. I am petrified this guy is going to leave me and i can not cope. my dad left and my grandad died and now i dont want him to go anywhere as every man i have even loved left me. God im starting to cry and i dont want to.

I cut myself, i punch myself. i have caused intense bruising to my face before where i hit until i cant stop.  Last weekend my bf had to sit on top of me and hold my hands until i had calmed down.  This isnt right but my docs dont help and when i went to counselling they were more concerned about why i dont trust my bf rather then me.

I really hope your still on here and will tell me if it has got any better.

If anyone else can help please

• Posted

Hey Kelli. Sorry to hear things are sounding so rough. Not sure if it will be much consolation, but sometimes hearing other people's problems can ease the pain a little. I've been taking sertraline for a few months now, starting at 50mg and now on 200mg daily. I'll get into whether I think they helped a bit later. I started out having a very happy childhood and everything seemed good. Until I hit puberty. I found out at an early age that I'm mildly autistic, and only until I was about 14 did it start to really bring me down. Doing social things just feels really awkward and forced for me when compared to "normal" people. Others around me such as classmates failed to appreciate the difficulty of the condition which lead to me being relentlessly bullied. I also found out about a year ago (I'm 19 now) that I'm asexual, which basically means I lack sexual attraction towards either gender. This made me extremely anxious as I didn't know if I was ever going to have a relationship in the future. I thought I was going to be unhappy for the rest of my life and die alone. Also recently, my parents are splitting up so me and my mum are going to have to move out. This is scary for me as extreme change makes me very anxious. On the days that I don't take the sertraline, I lose any modicum of hope or interest in anything I do or want to do on that day. My future looks hopeless and I don't see much point in living. On the days I do take the meds, I feel a bit uplifted and a bit more optimistic about things. The best advice I can give you is to eat healthy, stay physically active and try to talk things out with your bf. And yes I know, easier said than done, as with most things out there. But it's worth a try. All couples have their discrepancies and misunderstandings, but that doesn't mean we can't put them aside for the sake of a good relationship. You sound like a nice girl and I know he's lucky to have you in his life, so get back in there and try again! And please try to stop self harming. Things will get better, I promise. Much love, Usmaan. Keep me posted smile
    • Posted

Hi kelli, i am so sorry for such a late reply i havent been on here in a while. I have been on fluxotine since sertraline which didnt help and am now trying mirtazapine. I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I hope you have managed to get the help an support you need. I am still struggling and have gotten worse over the past year. I have just recently started the mirtazapine. After the sertraline and fluxatine didn't help i stopped all meds and never went back to any of my sessions. I was seeing a therapist monthly for a while then a phyciatric nurse weekly. A few weeks ago i went out with my mum and she said that i needed to go back to the docs so she came with me and now am giving the mirtazapine a go and have been re-referred for therapy/phsyciatry or whatever they feel necessary. I know how horrible you must be feeling right now, and although i cant say i have been cured i am really hoping if i really try this time and continue on the meds and with the help i get i will soon be able to come on here and give people real hope. Have you managed to talk to you boyfriend or close friends/family much about how you feel? You should ask your doctor to refer you to your nearest mental health hospital/organisation if they havent already.

I hope you see this and sorry again for the late reply!

xxx

• Posted

Omg I just saw this and it made me want to cry... I feel the exact same way. I have been on 200mg of Zoloft for over a year now... I tried to quit cold turkey because I didn't want to depend on meds just to feel "normal" anymore... But I started feeling all of my depression symptoms times 10 when I tried to quit... What would you recommend? Are you still on Zoloft?

• Posted

Hi raChelsea. How are you doing now. I to am on tablets. Your post made me join to reply. How is all going now has it eased
  • Posted

Hi rachael.

I just read your post.

Hows things?

Are you managing on your latest meds? Did you get back to therapy?

Are you still with your bf?

Let us know your update, your story really caught me.

Ive just started on 50mg sertraline. I have got some more today but i havnt had them for a week and my side effects are so annoying!

Crying in a training course, feeling like im not really physically here, as everytime i walk into or out of a room i feel drunk because of weird dizzyness.

Feel depressed, and im so angry at tiny little things just the anger i have towards things and people is ridiculous!! Grrrr. Im just trying to control it.

I hope now ive got back onto these today those side effects of just stopping the tabs, will go away. ( i lost them ).

My boyfriend chooses not to understand either, just says im being daft. Yet he goes mad when im acting a certain way all the time like i dont care about anything or anyone and i start arguments because im so angry and upset all the time.

He doesnt listen to me he doesnt understand me. My anxiety is really bad. It all came worse when my dad passed away when i was 14 (im 20 now) ...

And i suffered postraumatic stress and it got worse from there.

Anyway, i was on fluoxitine at 16yrs old,they worked. I went back on them on a stronger dose before i started sertraline a few weeks ago. They didnt really work so they doubled the dose.

The dose was too strong and made my symptoms exasperate. My depression and anxiety came back 10x worse including the post traumatic stress.

I feel sertraline is working for me now though.

Anyway,

Get in touch.

Devon xx

• Posted

Hay as its been a while since you posted your story I'm curious to know how things have gone for you? I'm I'm pretty much the same position, I'm 28 now but been suffering since the age of 13, my illnesses has progressed further and I'm diagnosed with a few different illnesses now, been in and out of hospitals, for up to oth at a time and not just for depression but all of my illnesses revolve around mental illness! I've been with my partner for over ten years now and after a short while of being together I developed anorexia and PTSD off the back of a serious break down at what was a crucial time in my life when I seemed to have it all going for me! I've been on sertraline for a few years now and just stopped it cold turkey so by what you've described you can guess the kind of thoughts and feelings I've been having since the very first day I stopped! I'm not going to go to deep into what's up with me as I don't want to bring you back down if you've managed2 sort things out yourself but please let me know how you are doing as I think I can help you with this if ur still suffering! Don't hesitate to contact me if needs be!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.