Not good enough!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am appalled by some of the statements on here relating to colonoscopy. As I understand it, if I had this procedure carried out in Australia, it would be under anaesthetic. Both my daughters have been through it, and despite being sedated, both found it decidedly painful and uncomfortable. Now I'm facing having it done. WHY isn't it done under general anaesthetic? Given how painful, not to say embarrassing a procedure it can be, shouldn't anaesthetic be offered from the outset as a matter of course? The way I'm feeling right now, I think I might refuse the investigation anyway and I do wonder how many more people feel the same way, and refuse the procedure, to their eventual detriment. VERY short sighted on the part of the medical profession.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Zadie,

It is important that you pluck up courage and go through with your colonoscopy. To help towards that end I suggest that you read again the account posted a few weeks ago \"colonoscopy - tips and don't be terrified\" by Mrs.S, which to my mind gives a balanced and realistic account of what happens. Her account was very timely for me as I had it done the following day.

Hundreds if not thousands of people every day are having it done. It is not painful for everybody. Try to think of it as being on a par with having a tooth filled. After you have had it done you will feel quite proud of yourself and will greatly benefit from either having a diagnosis or from knowing your colon is clear.

Also try not to worry about the psychological side of having it done to your \"nether regions\", believe me when you are in there the staff are all very chatty and matter of fact. I wasn't in the least bit embarrassed. It only took about 20 minutes which passed very quickly.

I would just add a couple of bits of practical advice. If it is at a teaching hospital and medical students are present you can stipulate as I did that they may only observe and are not to assist with the 'scope. Also try not to look at the 'scope when you walk into the examination room, unfortunately I did look at it and quaked rather.

Best of luck and report back to the rest of us won't you.

• Posted

Yes, many people have these procedures every day.  And without pain. 

On the other hand, some people like myself, go in believing that any "discomfort" will be handled properly.  I experienced pain, not just discomfort.  I am confident I will never experience such pain again, because I will never go back for an encore.

Because I do NOT trust the medical field to be honest about what may happen. 

• Posted

Zadie has asked the right question. Colonoscopies are painful for some people so why don't they use a general anasthetic? On the NHS the answer is cost of drugs and anaesthetist. Probably as much as 90% of patients are old and cannot afford either the medical insurance premiums or the cash cost (£2000?) of colonoscopies.
  • Posted

I have just had a colonoscopy and, at my choice, had no sedation. There was no pain and very little discomfort; it doesn't last long and is fascinaing to watch. Complications arise from anaesthetics so it is best to avoid sedation. I am terrible with needles and scared of pain but the colonoscopy was nothing. Please Please don't be put off. It is less stressful than a tooth extraction
    • Posted

Next time my doctor suggests a colonoscopy and I will naturally refuse, I will offer that spot on the colonoscopy schedule for you.

ENJOY!!!!

• Posted

I have never and will never have any form of invasive procedure, I will take my chances

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.