Acid Reflux and teeth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I've suffered with acid reflux since i was taken into hospital when i was 13 with them thinking i was having a heart attack.

From what the doctors had said, i've suffered with acid reflux most of my life.( Due to the fact as i child i was always being sent home thinking i was going to be sick due to acid)

I've now suffered it with 9 years. I've been given very little help and support from the hosital or doctors. ( Seems like they dont understand or know much about the condition)

Anyways, went to the dentist recently. and in the past my dentist keep telling me off for drinking coke. Because from what he could see the acid coke was attacking my teeth at the gumline(i dont drink coke or any fizzy pop). This time i went i seen a different dentist and he asked if i suffered with acid reflux due to my teeth. (extra acid coming up my gullet)

Ive had a look about on forums and web sites for people that have spoken about this and i cant see anything.

If anyone has herd this is true and is there anything that can be done to help further to protect my teeth. I know i can go for an operation but my doctors are not willing to put me forward for the op until to become alot worse because they say i have a high chance of it returning in later life if i have it early in life.

thank u Ami

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I suffered with reflux for years, my teeth are ruined / a embarrasment to :? Havent you been given Omeprazole or anything like that? Yes its mostly a brilliant drug smile
  • Posted

Just a little question Dr Spock - if I have only recently been suffering and immediately diagnosed with GORD and oesophagitus and have been on 30mg daily of Lansoprazole, am I still running the risk of acid damage to my teeth? I don't get any acidic taste in my mouth at all but I would be devastated if this annoying and painful condition also ruined my lovely teeth!

Suze

• Posted

You should be alright [b:7ecc073f05]Suze[/b:7ecc073f05]. Saliva is the mouths natural defence just keep on top of any periods of dryness (say with sugar free gum) smile
  • Posted

Phew! thanks Dr Spock! At least I don't have the added stress of painful teeth to bear with the rest of this illness! Although I think all the honey I am gulping down to heal my poor oesophagus may contribute to decay! Will get my dentist to give me a serious check up next time I am there.

Suze

• Posted

Yes definitely lay off the honey, have a dose of Gaviscon if you still feel a little tickle down there smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.