first time colonoscopy, nurse will see me naked?

Posted , 10 users are following.

i'm scare of nurse or doctor will se me naked, i am very shy person and feels bad now and i have test in next month or they will give me pijamas or something to cover my penis and testicles?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't worry 

They give you a gown which you wear throughout

You also get modesty pants which have a hole in the back so they can do the procedure

• Posted

Not in the US you don't. You don't get to wear anything with your gown except your socks,  and men are positioned in a way that part of the testicles are showing

• Posted

The norm seems to be that they will give you a pair of paper pants with a rear opening and a gown to wear.

no need to be hy they see ten patNents a day and think nothing of it.

• Posted

i've got social phobia so for me most of normal day things is hard to do and what about stay naked when some one is watching awww, i hope they will give me this pants and send me to changing roomsmile
    • Posted

The hospital will maintain your dignity .

There are seperate areas for men and women. You will get a changing room by yourself. You get the gown, the pants they give you to hide everything. They also suggest you wear your dressing gown. Even treat yourself to a new one if you like. I did . The only thing they anyone will see is part of your bum so they can use the endoscope. 

Trust me you will be fine. 

• Posted

All hospital give patients privacy to change and do most procedures with the patient well covered to prevent infection.
    • Posted

i hope you have right gents, thanks for the good words, ii hope i'll be fine too smile
    • Posted

that's not the point.  SEB doesn't even know these people, and of course he feels vulnerable.

Why don't the doctor and his support staff do it while in the nude.  After all, do they have something that the patients haven't seen??

• Posted

it has nothing to do with preventing infection. Its a "clean" procedure not a sterile one.  They give you a gown only because its required.  They wouldn't care if you were naked. As for seeing patients all day long, that  matters jot one wit.  Everyone is different and if you don't think they look or comment think again.  Google"patients recordscolonoscopy."

• Posted

I am sorry to say that the response of "they see ten patients a day" is a horrible one.  They see more like 18 and could care less about your modesty.  You are givena drug that causes amnesia.they can do or say what they want while you're under.   People have gone inwearing gowns and come out stark naked.  Doctors and nurses are first and foremost humans with human reactions.

• Posted

Try not to worry, you will get some pants and a gown and the doctor will do a quick rectal examination before starting the procedure.  Hope goes well for you
  • Posted

As everyone else has said you get a gown and some shorts with a slit up the back. No need to worry at at all! 
  • Posted

Hi seb:

I know exactly how you feel.

Looks like over there they try protecting you modesty & dignity with the pants.

Here in the states it's extremely hard to find a facility that will give you the colonoscopy shorts or allow a gentlemen to wear a pair of boxer shorts on backwards to protect his modesty & dignity.

Most places standard answer is you're covered with a gown and blankets.

Gowns and blankets always seem to find a way durning the test of coming off the patient & the facility personnel don't seem to mind even if the patient does.

Since most places here in the states don't off the shorts, some men have gone as far as requesting an all-male team to run the test because they know at some point they will be exposed more than they should be.

Standard answer to this request is "we cannot guarantee an all-male crew but we can guarantee an all-female team for the test".

Not much comfort for a guy.

They want people here to get tested but, they are not willing to work with people to address their concerns about the test.

They want it their way or the highway.

All that will do is create an adversarial atmosphere between healthcare & the public and everybody will lose.

My doc wants me to get tested but I am holding out until I find a place that can & will meet my needs.

Until then, I've agreed to do the InSure® FIT™ home test on a yearly basis. It's better than waiting for the healthcare industry.

• Posted

It seems to me that the simple answer would be to request that the medical staff performing the colonoscopy all be nude as well.  After all, they don't have anything that we all have not seen, and it puts everyone on the same playing field.  If it's ok for the patient to feel vulnerable, then it should be ok for the staff to feel vulnerable.
    • Posted

Hi Joe:

Sounds fair to me.

It just astounds me how the healthcare industry pushes to get everyone here to get tested but they won't work with people.

The test is barbaric to begin with so if you have someone willing to go thru the crap the night before you'd think they'd be willing to work with them.

I know some places allow women to wear a non-metallic sports type bras to the test to cover their chest. That being the case the same instutition should have to allow men to wear a pair of boxer shorts on backwards to protect his modesty/dignity.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.