Gym workouts and frozen shoulder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I am new to the group. I have a frozen right shoulder which started about 8-9 months go (Nov 2014). It has steadily got worse with severly reduced movement, pretty much constant minor pain in arm/shoudler/neck and the occassional short term severe pain when I 'catch' it.

I am keen to rejoin a gym and was wondering if anyone has any tips on what exercises / weights to do and which to avoid.

PS I had a frozen left shoulder in 2011/2012 - it has pretty much totally recovered although the movement of my left arm is still a little bit restricted.

Thanks,

Gerry

Scotland

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sorry - typo in above post - I meant Nov 2013.

Gerry

• Posted

Gerry,

have you had an EMG (nerve testing) done?? the pain extending from your neck should and arm sounds similar to what I was having during my first frozen shoulder and we discovered through the nerve testing my nerves had been damaged during frozen shoulder manipulation. I'm hope thats not your case but just thought I would bring it up...

• Posted

Hi Mariah,

I have had no physio on my right shoulder yet so not sure the nerves could have been damaged. However the FS in my right arm feels a lot different to when I had it on my left side. When I had it on my left side the pain was never constant (like it is now). Thanks

• Posted

Hi Gerry,

My left shoulder started 'freezing' 5 months ago when I could suddenly no longer wash my hair or dress easily with my left arm, started to have more and more pain in the shoulder joint radiating or suddenly appearing in upper arm, down towards hand, behind shoulder blade, into neck etc with extreme pain on some sudden movements or if I was knocked etc, trouble sleeping and being woken up to 20 times a night in face-wincing pain, confusion, bewilderment about what was happening to my body, visiting every kind of practitioner under the sun to try to find out what was causing this and how to fix it etc etc etc etc etc etc..... You know the story...... So anyway, after a few months and having to stop work because my other 'good' shoulder then got overworked and developed all sorts of pain and bursa problems, I was in tears at my physiotherapist appointment saying that I was missing my fitness and felt a desperate need to be able to move my muscles and my body, and we figured out a plan to exercise the rest of me without aggravating the shoulders. The short story is that she knew a good physical trainer and upon meeting him I booked in for 3 personal training sessions per week and began my 'recovery'. We did NO strength or flexibility work of any kind on my shoulders, but rather focused on legs, back, abs, and general strength and core strength as well as cardio. My understanding of health is that this would have helped to support my immune system, my muscle health, cardio-respiratory system, my mental and emotional wellbeing, and my overall general health and wellness. I felt pretty drained by the sessions, and basically rested in bed most of the rest of the time as I still had heaps of shoulder pain and wasn't sleeping well. But my body felt like it was on the right path and my doctor said that I was doing the right thing for my body. I have been doing this training for about 9 weeks now and I can say that about 10 days ago my traininer and I officially began gently including my arms and shoulders into my workouts. This is a day to day and minute to minute journey where some days I am stronger than others and sometimes I have had to pull back a bit from certain movements that don't feel right. But, I am steadily improving in my range of movement and in my strength in my frozen shoulder. Honestly this feels like a miracle as you would know having been on this journey before. I have less pain, I am now sleeping so much better, and I genuinely feel as if I am turning a corner. I want to explain that I could only hold my shoulder out about 10 inches from my side, on abduction, and could not lift it as hig as my shoulder out in front of me. I could not put it behind my back at all, and my rotation was way less than half. 9 weeks later, I have the typical deformity of the whole shoulder joint lifting or moving with motion as it is all glued stuck in there, BUT the surrounding areas are compensating with less pain and my range of motion is getting better. I don't feel it pulling quite so much into all of the surrounding tissues and it is resting better. Some days I still get aching pain but if I just rest and put a rolled up towel under my arm for a few hours it helps and I am not as debilitated for days on end. I am sleeping better which is giving me more energy and I am getting all over stronger and this is improving my posture. Now that we are working my arms and shoulders, I can feel my shoulder muscles starting to enjoy engaging and working as a coordinated team again instead of a drivelling mess of dysfunctional disjointed discombobulated weaklings that just can't move properly. I can touch my head and started drying my hair with two hands (gently!) for the first time in over 4months! What a thrill!!! This is all contributing to me using that arm more which is building the strength which helps the shoulder to stabilise and relax a bit more etc. everything feeds into a cycle of improvement, strengthening, energising and building up my whole health and now my shoulder is coming along for the ride. I cannot tell you how good it felt yesterday to feel myself enjoying a rowing machine, and although I still have a long way to go, I know that this strength training is key to my recovery. My shoulder did not like the stretching pathway... Stretches just seemed to aggravate things, and they are still aggravating things. My shoulder does not like stretching, but it does like strengthening, and so this has been my chosen focus. Listen to your body and feel out for yourself what kind of healing your shoulder needs, and if you feel that strength training would be good for you then I would encourage you to try it, be patient, find a good trainer or physiotherapist who will work with you and trust you to know what feels healing for your shoulder but who will encourage you to try and who knows how to build a whole rehab recovery program for you. Sorry to make this post so long, but I cannot emphasise enough how much the strengthening approach has helped me and I am hoping to make it through this AC journey in a shorter time and with better overall as well as better shoulder health at the end of it. Good luck and let us know how you go!! smile Hilary 

• Posted

Hi Hilary,

Your post was very interesting and I am glad things are improving for you. My position is that I am a full time mature student with very limited income. My GP told me that I could self-refer for physio, but there is a 3-6 month wait and it tends to be once a week. When I had physio on my left shoudler 2 years ago it consisted of one short session, after which the therapist gave me a sheet of exercises to do at home...which I rarely did.

I think what I need is just a list of 'safe' exercises I can do at the local gym - not aimed at my shoudler, but like you, aimed at other areas (core, abs, legs, maybe biceps etc) that I can do without being in pain because of my shoudler.

Gerry

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your story Hilary it has given me hope with my own frozen shoulder, which I have had for 9 months now. I just wanted to say I really appreciate you sharing so much information, with such clarity - I feel the light coming at the end of the tunnel smile
    • Posted

I'm fairly new to the frozen shoulder diagnosis. Recently, I was in a car accident that reinjured all my hard work. Your post did give me hope. The pain is a bear!!! Whoa! I  mean I've never felt something more painful. The information in your post does actually help me; and, seeing that there is a possiblity of light at the end of this dark and painful tunnel.  Thanks again.  smile Jmarie

• Posted

You are so welcome Tasha78763, I haven't written anything on this blog for ages! My other shoulder froze as well and so my journey was extended and intensified. It does move towards being better and so I do want to reassure you that over months things improve incrementally. We are all waiting to regain our lives! I continue with whatever exercise my body allows and it's always good for the spirit as well as the heart, mind and body as long as I don't overdo it. Each day is different and it's about quality of sleep when we can get it and quality of rest and of gentle exercise that we can tolerate. I also discovered prescription anti-inflammatories (Mobic) which has actually really helped with my pain. Frosty wrote a fabulous post about taking care of ourselves and I highly recommend finding it and savouring it. It's just so helpful to know that others on this site understand this condition through their own lived experience. Thanks to everyone who continues to share their stories here. Take care and go gently. smile
    • Posted

Hi Jmarie, I'm sorry to hear about your car accident. I absolutely sympathise with you about your frozen shoulder pain. It's extreme and relentless and it's very hard to bear over many months. Keep reading everyone's input on this site. There is such a great range of experience and tips and hints for helping ourselves here, and there is compassion and empathy and reassurance which we need so very much. Hang in there, find small things that help you moment to moment and be gentle with yourself. You are not alone on this journey. smile smile smile
  • Posted

Hi again Gerry,

I absolutely understand about the limited resources. And I agree that safety is paramount in whatever training you do (either with a trainer or self-directed), as AC is an illness, our body and our whole inner health is disrupted and compromised and we must take extra special care of ourselves at this time as we are vulnerable. Our capacities are limited and we are having to get used to living with a huge amount of pain and disability with mostly very little preparation and very little recognition and meaningful help. I have had to be very mindful and also assertive at times about what I can and cannot do in a training session. But yes, I consider myself incredibly lucky to have an opportunity just at the moment to invest in this training. It costs me $150 per week for the three sessions ($50 per session) and my trainer is very generous with his time so I am very lucky indeed. I have borrowed money from my family to make it happen, but I will get back to work sooner this way and will move forward with better health eventually. I could tell you all the exercises that I have been doing, but if you have trained before perhaps you can work out your own program. It's so important to listen to our body and our shoulder all the time for what works and what doesn't on any given day. There will come a time when I will have to cut back my sessions and work on my own program. There is no doubt though that the training sessions have moved me forward a long way in a short time. Once again good luck, and you know, even if you just visit the gym and hang out and do a little bit here and there it might be inspiring and will probably be healing and helpful if you like feeling strong. smile

• Posted

Hi Hilary

I thought I had read everything about frozen shoulder until your post. As similar to you about 12 years ago I had FS in my left shoulder and fortunately it went away just naturally after some 8 months or so. Two and half years ago I developed FS in my right shoulder and for the past many months have been doing physio - only stretching without much advancement Fortunately I no nonger suffer the excruciating in the upper arm ...the pain disappeared after a treatment called hydrodilitation. At my next visit to physio  I will ask for strengthening exercises... if it seems to work for you maybe for me

• Posted

Hi Edgar313,

I visited my physiotherapist today, and she was telling me that during the last 3 years she has become convinced that a strengthening approach rather than a stretching approach can be very helpful for AC. And in fact she really feels that a strengthening approach is what she now wants to recommend to her AC clients. She was agreeing that my shoulder is making great progress with the strength training. She has also noticed that with other AC clients the stretching approach seems to aggravate their shoulder and sends them backwards rather than forwards. I can certainly say that a stretching approach gave me more pain and made my shoulder want to retreat and freeze more, and that alternatively, the strength pathway has seemingly given my shoulder something to bite onto and chew. Even when it was not my shoulder that was working, it felt like the shoulder could benefit from the good work that was happening in the rest of my body. Finally the shoulder started to sort of settle and get calmer and less painful and a little bit of strength started to come back into the shoulder and arm muscles and it began to feel like it could join in on some activity again. I have not pushed it to do what feels too uncomfortable, and if I over work it and if it gets strained or sore or achey I just back off and let it settle again. Once it calms down again I start including it gently in ways that feel positive and empowering. The bicep muscle loves to bite into a bit of strengthening almost as a way of squeezing back into life. As I said earlier it can feel thrilling for the shoulder and arm muscles wanting to activate without pressuring them beyond what feels right. From what I have read about AC this is something that might come more naturally in the 'frozen' and 'thawing' phases. Having said that, I wonder if my general strength training, the endorphins, the good body hormones and chemicals that exercise generates, and the muscles I am building have all contributed to, and have encouraged my shoulder to start a healing process and move in that direction. It does feel that way. It is still very slow but it's moving in the right direction along with the added benefits of better general health and more motivation to eat well, etc. and of course the less nagging and extreme pain and the higher quality sleep helps hugely. I think for me it is all feeding into itself in a big whole person loop. I'm interested to know how you go with exploring this pathway so please keep us posted if you try it. Thanks, Hilary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.