Thyroid and Swollen Painful Breasts

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have been on Levothyroxine since June and recently my breasts have felt swollen and painful.  I have had a check-up and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong so is this another side affect of Thyroxine?

Has anyone else experienced this?   It feels like the tenderness you get in early pregnancy but I am not pregnant!!

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Sadra, Yes!!! When I switched from NDT to Levothyroxin, my breasts blew up in addition tthe weight gain. I've always been small, but balloned in a short timo a 36DD.And yes, they did hurt. In the end, the levothyroxin was both way too low and didn't work properly for me. After a year and a half of nightmare with the synthetic T4 (levothyroxin)  I'm back on the NDT. I'm still having a little breast soreness, but feeling much better in general and my size has gone down to a 34C in the month and a half since I switched. Good  luck to you!
    • Edited

I am glad I am not the only one I thought I was imagining it at first!  Yes I have put a lot of weight on but it was the discomfort that concerned me.

I am seeing an Endocrinologist today so I will mention it.

What is NDT I have never heard of it.

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I don't know why your breasts are sore and swollen? But if your worried see if others have the same problem ?. U must admit my breast seems to have enlarged lately which for me can be a good thing !!.

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I have never experienced breast tenderness with the levothyroxine.  I went back last Friday after getting my blood tested again to see if my levels had improved since I started taking the 50mcg prescribed by my Doctor.  I had been on it for 8 weeks and the old symptoms came back.  I told him I was not making it up in my head - sore aching joints, overwhelming tiredness, low moods - again he had no answers but what I did find out is that I was prescribed 100mcg for almost 3 years - never had blood re-tested and I am managing my levels on just the 50mcg!!!  I had already asked them if I could be over-prescribed.  The sweating [clamy] is still there too.  I have said I will give it another 2 months on this dose and if my symptoms do not get any better I would be seriously thinking about coming off of it again and just see what happens.
  • Posted

do yourself a huge favor.  go see an acupuncturist.  if you are over 40 they can treat your hormones naturally and help you get in balance - because your hormones and thyroid support each other.  I wish I went a long time ago.  I have been helped within 1 week and I was completely off balance from estrogen and NDT.  I stayed on the NDT (30 mg. time released) and I have backed off  a little on the estrogen (1/4 g day) because I still have my ovaries and I feel like they are producing estrogen.
    • Posted

Hi

I too have really bad sweats to the point of not being able to wear any long sleeves . even if it's cold !!.

Since I've been diagnosed with my under active thyroid my body seems to have given up!!. My hiatus hernia is really bad I have to go back for another endoscopy, I've just had a melanoma removed from my leg and lymph nodes removed , I have lost interest in everything!!! I just can't be bothered with anything or anyone!!! I feel sometimes like I'm trapped in a body that is letting me down all the time??(if that makes sense)??

I've started having occasional dizzy and light headed episodes only occasional but I do get them which is scary ???

I already suffer with spinal stenosis as I had 2 discs removed a few years ago, also a new hip, but even the pain from my back seems to be exaggerated sometimes ???

Apart from that I feel fine lol I just wonder what's next all the time?? Which is thinking negatively which I don't want to do really!!!

Anyway I hope you get sorted out eventually???  C

• Posted

I started my levothyroxine in January and for the last week my boobs have started to hurt. And the tiredness I live In uk by the way . And I wasn't told anything about my thyroid problem just a few things about T4 T3 and am stkll dont understand it. the good news is you don't pay for prescriptions for life the GP said. So to try understand this hypothyroidism I turned to the Internet and i am over whelmed and none the wiser. I am tired all time my body hurts all time my weight is getting me down despite me using a cross trainer 4 times a week also I have degenerative arthritis in my back. Grr I feel for anyone who has our condition

Sending Huggs to all on here

• Posted

I am currently taking Levothyroxin and im dealing with the same problem. My breast also are swollen and very tender. I put on some weight due to the disorder. I honestly dont think my medicine is strong enough. Its 0.25mg! I however dont have migraines anymore which i am thankful for. I no longer have my panic attacks since they have put me on it and my monthly is finally regular because there would be times before i knew what was wrong that i would go 3 to 4 months without having one.
  • Posted

Hi Sandra

I was on Armour thyroid for 7 years was very well on this natur treatme t. The Cat would pay for it and put me on liquid thyroxine

my breasts became swollen and lumpy. I put a huge amount of weight on round the middle. I am fighting in court to not only get back on Armour but for the NHS to realize that one treaent for all is not suitable.

The mollecullar structure of thyroxine to the natural hormone is totally different

I take selenium, primrose oil , zinc, massive doses .of vitamin C to get the fall out which remains in the body and causes toxcity out of the body

I also detox 3 days a week from thyroxine and take liquid kelp instead.

I know a little about medicine as I am a chiropodist

• Posted

I heard brand name synthroid is alot more effective but dont know if the side effects would be the same. I have really sore nipples and I started taking 50 mlg and not even 2 weeks went by

• Posted

I am taking Synthroid (Levothyroxine) right now, and I'm having the same problem. My nipples are also sore, and my breastsand back hurts. I always feel tired and my joints hurt. Even if it's chilly outdoors, I can't wear long sleeves or a jacket because I get hot and sweaty. I took 100 mcg for 4 weeks, and when my blood test results came back, they were high. My doctor cut my dose down to 50 mcg, which I've been taking for a week. i have to go back again for another blood test on my 4th week to see if my dosage is working.

• Posted

my breast been soar and i had a little lie dry milk come out when i squeeze it but im on levothyroxine 100 mg my breast be soar i be thinking its my bra i dont no are my hormones

• Posted

wow I just started taking 50 mlg and my nipples are so sore

• Posted

yes i started on thyroid medication and within days i had swollen and tender breast. and it has been going for weeks. i emailed my doctor, a different doctor replied and said it was not a side effect of that medication. there is not other reason i would have this. I have had a complete hysterectomy over 5 years ago.

i plan to talk to my doctor in person soon.

• Posted

I too have this problem at 65. I have a recent and clear mamogram, but tender sore breasts. I have recently

realised this may come from using levothyroxine.

My Mum died 10 years ago from estrogen based breast cancer [sorry if this is very unscientific] and I am quite wary.

I would like my GP to support me to change to NDT, she has taken me seriously to date and been helpful around symptoms. I have found online an article affirming that UK GP's are indeed allowed to prescribe Armour, but are under pressure not to.

Has anyone tried and succeeded in getting NDT prescribed and were there any helpful words or phrases they used to support their request. I find approaching the GP can be quite stressful if you have done the research yourself.

M

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.