Are there any multivitamins around without Vitamin K?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've just started on Warfarin for AF and find that I should not take my usual occasional multivitamins because they contain the dreaded Vitamin K.  To my surprise, I have found only one make of multis that does not show Vitamin K in its list of contents and ingredients.  Given the reported numbers of Warfarin users, I would have expected the manufacturers to have been keen to offer some others to potential buyers.  My find was Boots A-Z50+ in a blueish container - not the orange one shown on their web site, which claims to include Vitamin K but does not show it in the list of ingredients (????).  Any suggestions from UK sources would be welcome.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi BHD

You are looking for a multivitamin without vit k but I found this answer and question from last year

http://www.drugs.com/answers/warfarin-researching-vitamins-across-called-646845.html

So do you really need to find one without?

• Posted

Thanks for your response.  I had already found Clotamin but could find no reliable UK source.  Meanwhile keeping Vitamin K levels reasonably stable is seriously compromised by my tendency to take multivitamins irregularly.  Hence my conclusion that I do need to find the right kind.
  • Posted

hi Bhd

if i was you do ask your dr before you take any remidies of any kind its not safe when you are on wafrin only what your dr percscribes ive been on wafrin 12yrs you never buy over the counter drugs unless you ask your dr or the pharmacy they can send your warfin up or down ive been on them long enough to be able to help with any advise about this drug both me and my hubby is on it hes been on it longer than me but he went and bought some anti inflamotry drug last week its made him really poorly knocked the wafrin up its serious if you don't ask your dr or pharmacy to take any certain tablets without there knowlege if you look on internet you will be supprised what you haven't to buy or eat when i got put on them i got a sheet from the hospital telling me not to buy OTC drugs and any herbal remidies also a booklet but the books you have your wafrin monitored dosen't tell you nothing in them now.

hope this helps you do not risk anything till you speak to the proffesinal's sorry for the spelling mistakes.

christine x

• Posted

Thanks for your message.  We have to be sure that we get the best advice.  Unfortunately this isn't necessarily from the local GP.  In my case, there appears to be no substantive understanding there of Warfarin interactions.  Professional does not necessarily also mean knowledgeable.  My GP recently gave me medication to tackle steroid-linked oral thrush, only for the Warfarin clinic to panic over its super-potentiation of the Warfarin, which sent my INR shooting up.  And it is hopeless here to try to get to talk to anyone in the Warfarin clinic who might have more than the basic facts.   For instance, we all know that NSAIDs, birch oil, wintergreen etc are to be avoided; but there is therefore a dearth of pain-relievers other than paracetamol.  What do sufferers on Warfarin do for muscle strains, arthritis, bursitis etc.  Are topically applied NSAIDs etc totally barred?  What alternatives are available?  I can't find out!
  • Posted

Hi I had the same issue and couldn't find anything in UK, but I found a vitamin in America called K Free Daily which has been specifically designed BY people on Warfarin, FOR people on Warfarin. It's quite a large pill (just in case that is an issue) but I have had no problems since i started it. In fact my INR has been at its most stable for years! WARNING - if you just buy one pot you will get charged import duty due to the cost (it goes over the limit by £1 and costs a fortune in tax as I found out the hard way), but if you sign up to their bi-monthly scheme it lowers the price to under duty levels. Including postage it works out at around £23 for two months which personally I don't mind paying for the knowledge I am not messing up my drugs but it may be a little steep for some. Hope this is a help to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.