Surgery for degenerative lumbar scoliosis in 3wks , any info?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone else hare has had an operation for degenerative scoliosis? If so How was it for you ? How long did it take to recover. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Could you explain what degenerative scoliosis is specifically, I had an operation exactly 4 weeks ago to mend my curve, I had idiopathic scoliosis and I'm currently still at home recovering. I'm assuming your an adult, is that correct?
    • Posted

.i Mitzime. Yes i am an adult 66 yrs old, I was diagnosed with degeneartive scoliosis about 7 yrs ago. It is when the spine has worn through age rather than being born with it,  I think it is probably the same as Idiopathic. How di dyour operation go an dhow is your recovery. I have been told I will need 2 surgeries to correct it. Min eis in my lumbar spine /

• Posted

Okay I understand a bit better now. I am 15 years old and I wasn't born witscoliosis I developed it last year. As it was diagnosed late the curve was over 50 degrees.

The operation went really well but lasted 8 hours. Now my spine is completely straight which is awesome I was suprised and the outcome was really good and there was no problems. Only when I woke up my eyes were a bit blurry for 2 days  because I was laying on my eyes the whole time through surgery.

On day 3 I sat up for the first time and my spine felt really stiff and tight so I was advised to sit up and walk a bit, I was also on strong painkillers.

By day 7 the physio team discharged me in terms of movement because I was able to walk fine and up and down the stairs which was great.

The only issue before I went home was managing my pain relief as I was taken off of the strong painkillers.

After 4 weeks I'm basically back to how I was before surgery and my range of movement is increasing. For instance I couldn't raise my arms fully before without pain but now I can. However I am back to a daily routine but following doctors orders e.g. no exercise. but I have been taking it easy.

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. Even the first few days after are not that bad but you will need the nurses help but that is normal. Once you go home you will be able to do most basic things yourself so it's fine. Take into account that my curve was in the thoracic part of my spine so I was probably more stiff because I couldn't bend my head without pain and my movement was more restricted. 

That's it really I am well for the most part after only 4 weeks although of course the full recovery is a year and I can't do sports or exercise. I hoped this helped but if you have anymore questions I would be glad to answer them good luck though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.