Do not have the snip

Posted , 2 users are following.

I just hope that I stop somebody else from the pains and misery

that my vasectomy has caused me.

They used to say 1 in a thousand went wrong,(when I had mine) then it became 1 in a hundred, now it`s one in 10 with PVPS and a risk of about 4% with other problems. How long before they tell us the truth, some say as high as 30% with problems!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It will be a long long time before they tell the entire truth with regard vasectomy and all the risks associated with it due to the amount of money involved or to be gained from a Dr or GPwSI performing the procedure.

What makes me laugh the most is the hypoctatic oath...first you shall do no harm. Still hypocratic is close to hypocrosy!

Bigeest lesson I have learnt after two years of agony and frustration is they lie to you to get you have the vasectomy, then they try to wash their hands of the issue, then they throw lots of drugs at you, then they admit thay can't do anything and it is your fault for listening to the lies you were told...in other words I have learnt the NHS and it's Dr's and the private sector GP's (yes all GP's are private sector) are really not to be trusted further than you can throw them.

• Posted

Just wondered after your reply,with so much vested interest in many different walks of life, do GPs get paid extra for say fitting a coil or getting a man the snip? Were as they probably don`t for telling a patient to get a supply of condoms!!

Surely we need to know which contraceptives are likely to be best for our particular circumstances rather than which pays doctor best.  

• Posted

Not so much a case a case of getting paid more (although that is a feature for the GpwSI performing the vasectomy) but also a case of cost savings for your surgery itself....if your partner has the pill this costs the GP to prescribe and it is an ongoing montly then yearly cost for as long as your partner is in on it, therefore a drain on the surgery resource & funding...if the partner has a vasectomy it is a one off cost and more cost effective for the NHS (as is the female tubal ligation).

When you get referred for a vasectomy if to another GP surgery the GPwSI (GP with Special Interest) picks up a fee for his surgery by performing the procedure whilst the referring GP surgery no longer has the ongoing cost of monthly prescriptions for the pill....every GP is a winner but the not the patient.

The only good contraceptive for anyones need is a condom, even do latex free for allergy sufferers now. The condom is a one time use, can be removed immediately if allergic reaction and has no long term side effects.....however we're all human and either worry about the condom splitting or being a bit too passionate and fogetting to put one on...so our partners usually end up ont he pill....which is fine for (upto) decades until their body gets used to / begins to react to the pill by which time we've usually hit the point where our kids have grown up and we don't want more...but rather than being sensible re condoms we want a "permanant" fix so we either look in to vasectomy or tubal tying for females....both are loaded with horror stories and the bad news for females is the occurence rate is far more common than PVP - but then we hit the old chestnut of the GP / NHS doesn't highlight the horrors of both becuase it wants YOU to be cost effective for THEM so they don't tell you the full facts until AFTER the procedure and when you get the problems.

Only the NHS / Dr's interest is at the heart of the issue not what is best for your circumstances

• Posted

Thanks for that you have highlighted the facts perfectly. Vested interests at work and yes not what always suits the patient best!!

I say make condoms work,because they are the best contraceptive still and perhaps the most important of all, no long lasting harmfull side effects.

• Posted

I'll echo PVP Ouch.

I have a complaint into the NHS GP Commissioners and it's been a joke. Just got my reply after a year and it seems it was OK for both the GP's operating on my to forget about the surgery. I got a GP training. It's also OK for the supervising GP to have false records saying he did the snip, when he was out of the room.

The Pain Clinic can't offer me any more pain relief, I've even had injections into my testicle not pleasant) and I'm now on Testosterone replacement as they have packed in.

My GP says they use the advice from this site, but he 'conveniently' left out the bit about long term pain and it being in-curable.

I may have to lose both testicles as they don't work anyway, but my Urologist can't guarantee I will be pain free.

The pack of lies you will get told if it goes wrong is shocking. You only get the truth from Urology.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.