Tramadol withdrawal

Posted , 9 users are following.

My 1st week is nearly over with reduction of 50g tab of Tramadol (on 250g daily) Starting Monday I am gonna open up a tab and divide the powder to make 25g in England they only come in 50g capsules and not timed release. So tomorrow I will be on 225g daily of Tram...I'm doing a slow reduction. If this is too much I will slow down more. I know I am gonna go through withdrawals, but I'm praying they won't be as bad as last time where I gave up after being clear of Trams for 37 days. I've researched about the PAWS and am preparing myself for this. I just want to be on pharma drugs no more! I am looking at 2 years to fully recover and I can't wait!!!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I ran out of them last week after taking 6-8 a day for chroinc back pain was hell I also on amitriptyline for sleeping which works but during last week I was in agony I got my dates mixed up and forgot to ask for a new prescription cold sweats shaking flu like symptoms did take co codamol which helped but the pain is constant

I wish you well it's hard

• Posted

Hello Ruth

I sincerely wish you all the best. I'm in exactly the same situation with Tramadol. I did try breaking the capsule and taking some out but sadly I didn't manage to successfully continue that way as I could not get the amount accurate enough. I suffered more than I did if I reduced it tablet by tabet. I'm still on 50mg three times a day.  If you do succeed and find a way of accuratley doing it I would be interested to know. Please don't think I am being awful I just wanted to warn you of the problems I had. But I am probably less able due to my disability than you are. So I wish every success in you reduction of tramadol..... horrible drug that medics too easily dish out.  Take care  and all the best. You can do it!

• Posted

Anyway you could ask a pharmacist how to divide powder? Tell you are doing slow taper. Or look on internet an you could find possibly on there. Just remember "slow" . Your body an brain has to get use to the new dosage before you drop each time. No withdrawal symptoms then you drop. Thats slow tapering. You can do it. Exercise to!
  • Posted

Wish people would read the leaflet that a printed i the boxes says don't stop taking the medication on your own seek help from a doctor people will never learn
  • Posted

Hi Ruth. Don't stop now. I did it the same way.

I have been off the tramadol for a month. I really feel alot better. I can think clearer now. You will too. Take care and good luck

• Posted

go for it ruth86511thats the attittude and hope of desperation you need to move you forward  and prepare for your future,wow what a journey, dont look back, and be loving to ones self... al.82657
  • Posted

Well, I managed to divide the powder from the Tram in half (roughly) and am on day 2 of week 2 of reduction (225g) a day. Just a slight headache but don't feel to bad at the moment. Yep, I am gonna do this! Thank you all for all you support and advice. Love Ruth
    • Posted

You can do it. Remember the feeling lousy will pass. Just say to urself "this will pass!" An preoccupy urself!
  • Posted

Your doing it the same as I did. I. Took 1/2 at a time, and when I stopped, it was finally over and I had no withdrawls. It will take about two mobths to really see the difference in how you think and feel. Hang in there.
    • Posted

Can't wait to be clear of this drug! Thanks for your reply
  • Posted

Coming off of Tramadol is extremely tough.  The withdrawals are horrible, and they last for weeks.  But it is possible to stop taking it for good.  I was dumb enough to do it twice.  The only way to come off of Tramadol is to slowly taper off a little at a time.  If you have withdrawals, coming off cold turkey feels nearly impossible.  One of the worst withdrawals is the extreme restlessness, making it nearly impossible to sleep for weeks.  Tramadol stays in your system for a long time.  You will need to taper off slowly until you are down to a half a pill a day.  Then you may need to take that 1/2 pill for over a week until you are albe to come off it 100% and not have bad withdrawal symtems.  Or you can see how long you can eventually go without taking a pill, and then only take a 1/2 pill when you feel the withdrawal systems coming back.  Again, tramadol stays in your system a long time.  This is not a quick process, but I promise, it's doable! 
    • Posted

You so right about how tough it is! unfortunately I'm back on 8 x 50g a day! I hate this drug but at the moment havnt got the will to start withdrawal again at the moment :-(  Even on this amount, I can still feel as if I'm in withdrawals of some sort, don't get it? Maybe my body is so use to them that I need to up the dose to get fid of the mild withdrawals, but I'm not gonna do that! Thanks for your reply, I will set a new date to start the withdrawals all over again, soon x 
    • Posted

Ruth, I took it for 18 years, when your ready, you will do it. Consider asking your doctor for withdrawl meds. They are not addicting and really help. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks for reply. Didn't know they have meds to help with withdrawal, I will ask my doctor and see what he says!
    • Posted

Can you please let us know what your doctor says? My doctor says I don't need withdrawal meds cause I won't have withdrawal at "only" 150mg/day (for 4 years).
    • Posted

That could be true, but how does your Doctor know this! I hope you don't have withdrawals, but if you do, you will know! My advice would be to start a slow withdrawal programme, say dropping 50g a week, or even longer. What I did, and I not suggesting you do, but I opened the tablet up and divided the powder, making 25g. I even divided it more to make 12.5g as I need a real slow withdrawal. Unforantly I haven't succeeded and hopefully will start withdrawal in the near future!

hope you succeed x 

• Posted

Tramadol is eliminated fast fr the body. That is why withdrawals start quickly after missed dosed. If you want a fairly withdrawal free dosage drop, your gonna have to do it extremely slow. Dropping 50mg in a wk is way to fast. Because of the short half life of Tramadol. You will need to drop either by 25mg for 3-4 wks or drop by 50mg for 4-6 wks then drop again. If you drop to fast your gonna feel like crap an wanna give up. The end result you want is to be off rt? So take your time so you will be successful. SLOW. Like take a mnth between each 50mg drop. You may start slowly getting the blues or anxiety. You can ask your Dr for an anti-anxiety med like Klonapine or xanax or valium. Goodluck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.