Help! Colonoscopy tomorrow and terrified

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm hoping someone can help put my mind at rest, I have a colonoscopy tomorrow and I'm terrified. I was fine until yesterday, I've had a colonoscopy before (about twenty years ago) and found  it was a little uncomfortable but basically nothing to worry about.

Then I made the mistake of reading the patient information leaflet that came with my appointment. This informed

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi john58521

I had colonoscopy this morning at 8:30 back home and all is fine it was a little uncomfortable but I had sedation so it wasn't to bad staff were lovely and doc knew I was nervous so took his time. Really the procedure isn't pleasant but well worth it for peace of mind

Good luck

Ps thank you all for my good luck wishes

• Posted

Hi John

When you arrive for your appointment tell them that you prefer to be sedated this way you should not have anything to worry about.

They are there to make you as comfortable as possible, when Marie had her colonoscopy they even missed one of her injections and didnt even give her gas and air yet she was fine with it.

Good luck with it and please let us know how you get on, youll be fine dont worry

all the best

Jon and Marie 13689

• Posted

I agree with other comments. Ask if you can be sedated, you won't be allowed on your own for 24 hrs and won't be able to drive, but I've had several endoscopies in the past and the sedation makes the whole experience better. I have had one without though and still here to tell the tale. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry sometimes those leaflets make you think of things your wouldn't normally have though of. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Hi john

You also get some painkillers with sedation and when mine got a little uncomfortable they topped it up but I was still alert enough to know what was going on and understand what was being said

Good luck

• Posted

Try not to worry, I had one on Thursday. It was only mildly uncomfortable.....I was sedated and felt like I'd had a glass of wine ..! Do exactly as they tell you with the bowel prep.......other than staying not to far from the loo..I had no issues, and used Sudacrem and baby wipes so no soreness at all...and the whole procedure was over in 15 minutes...great team in hospital. Sitting up drinking tea and eating a biscuit 30 minutes later.....

good luck !!

• Posted

Hi John

I had a colonoscopy two weeks ago and trust me I was the scardiest person in the world! My friend had to book me in at the hospital as I was near hyesteria (and that is noo exaration!) the doctor who was really lovely said we will get you sedated asap as I can see you are in a state...

Anyway I dont remember a thing  the nurse said I slept through the whole thing!

It really is worth having done for peace of mind, dont read the leaflet as I found it totally made my mind wander away with me...

All the best for tomorrow I am sure you will be fine, let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Karen 

• Posted

Hi  try not  to be scared  the sedation is  better than none at all  I know the leaflet scares you saying  your  bowel  could  rupture  and you  would need  a  colostomy  bag but  health and  saftey  brigade  demands they tell you that  trust me it wont happen  most  doctors that do this  are very experienced  in it   I had one  and  although the  pain meds did not  work  it was not that  bad at all  good luck and let us know how you get on
    • Posted

and if your doctor isn't experienced, then he is gaining experience by "trial and error" on his patients. Maybe that is why they call it "practicing" medicine.
  • Posted

I agree with other comments on here.  Ask to be sedated.  You will need to get someone to drive you to and from the hospital as the effects of the sedation stay with you for 24 hours; you will also need someone with you for 24 hours afterwards too, but it's well worth it! Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.