Amlodipine - Gastric problems?

Posted , 39 users are following.

Having been stunned by the number of bad experiences folk have had taking Amlodipine I feel the need to make my own contribution.

Two months ago I had Amlodipine added to my current prescription of Irbesartan and Bendroflumethiazide to counteract my raised blood pressure, usually around 110/99. Certainly the Amlodipine made an immediate impact in bringing down my bp to around 120/78 but withing 4 weeks of atking the daily 5mg dose I've developed very uncomfortable gastric problems with the most noticeable side effect being lots of late evening flatulence which is usually more than just wind if you get my drift! I feel my bowel grumbling away, my stomach makes all sorts of noises and my appetite has gone. I only have to eat a couple of slices of toast and I feel like I've stuffed down a huge 3-course meal; bloated and with an uncomfortable feeling. As with many other folk here my Doctor looks at me disbelievingly when I explain what's changed with me but I know my own body and I know when something's not right.

No-one else appears to have reported gastric problems with Amlodipine - is it just me?

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was changed from 10mg Felodipine to 10mg Amlodipine recently, I started taking the Amlodipine a week ago, after just a few days of taking the new tablet when I woke up one morning my stomach felt uncomfortable, when I pressed on it, it was painful. Then the following morning I had stomach ache for a few hours. Six days after starting the new tablets in the evening at 6.30pm I again developed stomach ache, this persisted all evening. I went to bed at 11.30pm with it and then in bed I started to have palpatations, my heart was pounding so much I couldn't sleep. At 2.30am I went downstairs and took my blood pressure, it was higher then my norm.

The following day the left side of my chest was aching. I havn't had palpations for a few years since I was prescribed Sotalol by a Consultant. Also this is the first time in about 25 years I have had a stomach problem, I never even get indigestion. So a week after I have started taking Amlodipine I have reduced my daily dose to 5mg (by halving the tablets), I have informed my Surgery and I am now waiting fot their reply.

• Posted

I have been on amlodipine for about a year and had none of the side effects reported
  • Posted

i was only on these meds for a short while, whilst on then i felt constantly sick with tingling in arms and legs also couldn,t sleep. with cold hands and feet also felt as if my head was about to explode,ive since been told to stop taking bthem emediately and return to my gp.
  • Posted

I have been taking Amlodipine for the last 6 month. I noticed at the end of the day my ankles were unbelievably bloated and my stomach began swelling. It looked as if I was pregnant. 
  • Posted

My story with Amlodipine and severe diarrhea. I was taking the stuff (7.5 mg), with Hydrochlorothiazide, for about 8 months when the first bout set in. I have had this happen with other meds before so as soon as it happened, I stopped the meds. It still took about 3 or 4 weeks for it to go away.

The BP stayed high though so it wasn't long I went right back to it. Two months later, here it is again. Haven’t talked to my doctor, I've been pretty busy. She also seems pretty willy nilly about giving drugs for every little thing, so I'm a little hesitant. For right now I'm just riding it out to see if it will go away before I report it to her and see what she says.

By Severe Diarrhea, I mean almost anything going into my stomach, liquid, food, caused an “outpour.” I have to monitor liquids and foods carefully to make sure I am getting nutrition, water, and electrolytes.

I'm 58, male, haven't had much problem with health or high BP, but about 2 or 3 years ago it shot up and stayed there so I guess I have to deal with it. Working on exercise, nutrition, foods that are supposed the help with BP. So far the results are kind of questionable.

• Posted

I have had similar problems for 5 or 6 years and am now trying to isolate 1 prescription drug at a time. Do you have an update on your condition. The only thing I am certain of is that if I stop taking all my meds the symptons either dissapear or are not as bad
  • Posted

I had a similar experience taking this drug. I took the med at 7pm each evening. I was on 2.5 mil and had grumbling, daily gas with extreme morning gas. I had discomfort all day long and blamed the issues on foods that I was discovering I could no longer eat. I also had a great deal of guttural belching throughout the day. The 3 main issues were GAS, BELCHING, and WIFE #*& ing. I took this drug for 1 1/2 years before I even suspected Amlodipine. It was not until I moved up to 5.0 and experienced great evening pain that prevented long periods of sleep. Finally, my wife got me to go the doctor. I complained of deep stomach pain especially in the evening (2 hrs after taking meds and I still did not suspect this drug), pain under right rib cage, gas, inability to eat many foods. The doctor had me involved in many tests. It was not until I ran out of my meds on vacation and started feeling much better only to have the issues return when I started back up on the med when back from vacation. It took nearly 2 months after stopping this med to feel completely normal for the 1st time in years. My doctor was hesitant to believe that the med was the issue. I actually went back on it again before quitting for good as a test to myself and experienced the same issues as before. I am posting because of the severe pain I experienced and some lack of belief from the doctors who were trying to treat me. I am surprised that I missed so many clues (especially when I moved up to the 5.0) but I was in so much discomfort and feeling down overall for such a long time that I was missing obvious signs. I am literally better now in many ways. I am able to eat foods that I had not been able to eat for 2 years. One last comment is that the one factor that prevented me from discovering the cause earlier was the ability of NEXIUM to deal with many of the symptoms. I could not function without it. I tried several times to get off NEXIUM without success. While off  amlodipine on vacation I tried to get off NEXIUM once again and was able but I still did not suspect amlodipine. The fact that the NEXIUM worked was a probable cause that the doctor was hesitant to believe my story. He actually prescribed it for Acid Reflux, when I advised that was not even experiencing acid reflux.  

• Posted

I've just answered Gdog, like you I've been struggling with dreadful gastric/digestive problems for two years and hadn't even considered that it might be linked to amlodipine. I suffer with the feeling of my intestine being stuck in my rib cage, soreness and tenderness in that region, inability to eat many foods and most embarrasing of all the day long flatulance. Until two years ago I had never had any problems with my digestion or bowels. The bloating is so bad that I look pregnant and I've never carried weight around the midriff before. Big thanks to both you and GDog for your openess surrounding this problem, it has helped me to understand this problem which has restricted my ability to socialize normally for long enough now.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience with Amlodipine. I was taking it for over 12 years and like you missed many signs that it was the Amlodipine causing many of the symptoms that you mentioned. Also, I never like taking meds so many times I would not take it consistently until about 5 years ago. The gastric problems increased, pain on left side, neck, tingling mostly on left side, chest tightness and many other side effects. I stopped taking it about 2 or 3 months ago and feel alive again. Some doctors seem so surprised that it could be the Amlodipine causing many of the gastrointestinal issues.  After reading your comments, it confirms what I discovered from stopping and starting the Amlodipine and finally deciding to stop it for good. Most of the bad effects subsided. I can now eat foods that I had to discontinue while taking it. I'm now focusing on healing my intestinal system.  Thanks again!

• Posted

Thank you for giving your experience with the drug. Ive been having the same issues but couldn't figure out why. I suggested to my Dr that it could be the drug but he shrugged it off and said that wasn't possible. Could you please tell me what drug you witched to for your high blood pressure and also if you experience any of the same issues?

thank you.

• Posted

Sorry to say I am still on it - had a scan to see if any of my problems could be diagnosed and they told me I had gall stones - I have now had my gall bladder removed but still experience problems - mainly with heart burn. I need to be tested for Hpylori and gerd etc but with the pandemic coronavirus I don't like to go to the GP at the moment. When measures are lifted a bit more I shall have to go -I'm wondering whether to come off amlodopine for at least a week to see if there are any improvements.

• Posted

I will say, call your GP and discuss it again. At least, you are armed with some more information regarding possible amlodipine side effects.

• Posted

I can identify with everything you've mentioned in the gastric problems. especially embarrasing for me is the late night flatulence which is more than just wind, the bloating ( I've had to buy loose tops and can't wear dresses any more) 

It isn't just you, I'm so grateful for your post, I have so many problems with amlodipine that it never occured to me before that the bowel/digestive problems might also be attributed to amlodipine. I'm working at coming off them altogether, doctors are so busy they barely have time to consider that so many health issues can result from one very small pill. I've been very sensitive to presciption meds all of my life and look for natural remedies to manage most complaints, HBP is such a worry which is why I've stuck with the meds Still looking for more natural ways to control it.

• Posted

Doctors may be busy but it does not give them the right to be incompetent. (and in my case for so long) If they have to many patients on their books they need to reduce the amount of patients or get more doctors in to the practise instead of worrying about profit.
  • Posted

No, you aren't alone.   I have gerd and take issues with finding a PPI that continues to work without side effects after awhile.   Just started trying to take the amlodopine again and don't think it's going to work!   I took 1/2 a dose about an hour or two, and I am having bad pains, heartburn (even after taking 2 tums), bad face flushing and chest pains felling like built up gas.  I also get the stomach grumbling, gas and other stomach issues.  It really sucks!  I give up trying to take any medicine anymore!!  It seems like all generics really cause problems too!!  :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.