Did Your Bunions Grow Back?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, just curious if there's anyone on this forum whose bunions grew back. After how many years, main causes, etc etc

Thanks!

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Owl369,

ive given you a heart as that's a good question. 😀  I'd like to know how people fared long term but perhaps they won't have a reason to come back on this forum! Let's hope so! 

• Posted

Hi Mumbles, my surgeon said I have a malunion caused by a post op fracture which I knew nothing about. The surgeon was recommended to me by a friend.
    • Posted

Hi Mumbles, my niece her bunion grew back after a couple of years. She underwent surgery 20+ years ago and she's scaring our whole family since we have a couple of family members who are prone to developing bunions :0
    • Posted

That's bad luck and it must be frustrating too but I assume that was found after the post op scan I've heard about, after bunion surgery.  Let us know how you get on and hoping friends and family will cheer you up! 
    • Posted

Hi Owl, did your Niece take care of her feet after surgery?  I did hear that bunions can grow back and 20+ years ago  perhaps they didn't have the MIS surgery you can have now.  I've heard such good results with that op, although it's not possible for everyone.  I haven't had surgery yet but am looking into it. 😁
    • Posted

I suspect that she was wearing high heels (4") daily but didn't share that part with us smile 

-I am planned for MIS in April and if all goes well I will advice her to try that method as well. I have moderate bunions (not mild at all) and my surgeon approved MIS. He only performs MIS surgeries. If your bunions hurt a lot I think you should really consider it. I'm 38 and have bunions since a very young age but I've only taken the plunge now since I'm on a career break. I'm excited to hear if and when you will take this step smile

• Posted

Mumbles indeed she didn't had MIS. It was an invasive one. I know she was in a lot of pain for months and had a lot of scars as well.
  • Posted

Hi, I started having problems about 12 months ago which was nearly 3yrs post op from a scarf/akin osteotomy on my right foot. I am due to have revision surgery on the 9th April. Hope this is of some help.
    • Posted

Hi Susan, Did the consultant give you a reason why it has not worked?  

How did you choose this surgeon for revision surgery?  

It's good of you to share this information and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks Susan, I hope you'll keep us updated. Just wondering..did you wear high heels very often like daily? I love to wear high heels (3" or lower) but not every day.
    • Posted

Hi Susan. Sorry that you have to have revision surgery. What sort of problems are you having with your foot? Do you know what will happen during the revision surgery and what will the recovery be like? 
    • Posted

Hi Susan, I recently had a Scarf Osteotomy and broke my toe by falling two weeks after the operation.. I am gutted to say in the least, it has been suggested that I wait 5 months for recovery and have an operation to sort out my second toe by fusing it after a tendon was also accidently cut during the same operation, plus re do the bungion .. At the moment my foot is is still very swollen so I do not know what my foot looks like. I do know it seems wider than before the operation. Has the doctor told you what to expect and how they will do your operation...? 
    • Posted

Hi Sue, sorry to hear about your broken toe.  When I had my op 31/2 years ago I sailed through it and was walking in normal shoes at 8 weeks when I had the other foot done.  I really couldn't understand why people seem to make such a fuss about the op.  In fact 5 months after my right foot and 3 months after my left foot we went on holiday to Rome for 5 days and I walked miles every day wearing normal shoes without any problem whatsoever. About 6 weeks after my trip to Rome I started with pain in the ball of my right foot which turned out to be a problem with one of the screws in my foot and I had further surgery to remove the screw.  I did notice however in a letter from my Consultant to my GP that there was a malunion at the site of my bunion op. This didn't cause me any problems until about 12 months ago.  At that time I developed a Mortons neuroma and a hammertoe and had the neuroma removed and a tendon transfer on my hammertoe and at the same time an injection in my big toe joint.  I am having an op tomorrow to correct the malunion and fuse my second toe as it didn't straighten and an injection for bursitis in the inter metatarsal joint, 3/4 and injections in both talonavicular joints where I have developed arthritis. All in all I have had nothing but problems with my right foot over the last 12 months.  I will let you know after tomorrow exactly what the surgeon has done.  I am sorry this is such a long post.  Here's hoping this is the last op I will ever need on this foot. 
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that things did not go as well as you thought.. Yes please let me know how you get on.. Good Luck x
    • Posted

Thanks I will.  In the last letter the consultant sent to my GP he said it was probably caused by a post operative fracture but I am not convinced. Who knows.  I have had probably about 8 X-rays on that foot and an MRI scan so surely a fracture would have shown up.  Hope your foot starts feeling better soon and you manage to get something sorted sooner rather than later. x
    • Posted

My post op break/ fracture was not seen by the registrar. However it showed up after that xray when it shifted a bit more. I think yours would have been seen at some point though.. But who knows.. I had and still have clots of swelling..x
    • Posted

Hi Sue, I had my op yesterday.  Feeling fine today no pain at all because of meds. He intended doing another scarf/akin for the bunion but told me after the op he really struggled getting it back into alignment.  When the anaethetist came to see me after the op he also said the surgeon had a real struggle.  Reading my discharge papers I can't quite make out the name of the op he did and tried to look it up on web but can't find it. I have had my second toe fused and luckily didn't need a k wire.  My main problem is bleeding from the wound in the second toe. Surgeon said it was because he had opened up an old wound. I have no choice but to keep it elevated because if I don't it bleeds.  The worst part of the whole experience was the injections in talonavicular joints.  I had these done prior to my op consequently I was fully awake. Quite an uncomfortable experience.  Hope you are feeling better x
    • Posted

Went to see my consultant today 1 week post op.  He took off the dressing and I was amazed how little bruising there is.  He seems to have done a brilliant job there is no swelling at all.  He redressed my foot and showed me how to to do it myself when I start showering it again in 2 weeks time.  Told me I could totally remove the dressing in 5 weeks time and that he will see me again in 6 weeks. Hope you are feeling a lot better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.