mr moderator, or perhaps mrs!

Posted , 7 users are following.

it is truely very heartbreaking that people like myself with various health issues use this site as a means of communication with other "sufferers" getting sound advice on medications, therapy, questions to ask the doctor etc etc, spend ages typing a reply to somebody, only for it to be sent for moderation? grrrr. 

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I think that a lot of the blame lies with the NHS overlords - not necessarily medically qualified.

There is too much concentration - at every level I have encountered - on filling in Qrisk assessment forms.

There are rigid guidelines as to how much time a GP - or other medical professional can 'spent' on a patient during one session.

The booking systems the NHS has devised are so absurd that they are almost funny.

Has everybody else had to do 'Telephone Appointments'?lol

anitquated measures regarding your level of 'normal' like the BMI, are still being used to seperate the lean from the obese.

Basically, GP's are being dictated to what they have to 'offer' to patients - may I mention the Statins controversy?

And, the same rituals are being performed - again, and again.

• Posted

.... I know exactly what you mean David I've had it happened to me when I was trying to offer some as I thought good advice and pointing people in the right direction only to get it refused ....

grrrr indeed!!

Why the powersthat be should be so fussy - i don't know but if you mention any info including a website by name - it is disallowed. 

C'est la vie ..I guess!

• Posted

I don't understand the website ban because it means we all keep searching the net trying to locate the same info when if the exact website were given it'd save a lot of trouble.

Maybe it's an ethics thing, that if they allow mention of a website they could be seen to be endorsing it and they couldn't possibly check them all?  Just a theory ....

I've had people on here email me directly & I've responded with info probably not allowed on here, but I don't know how to do it the other way round yet

• Posted

Do the moderators on this site let posters know why posts are sent for moderation?  I guess I'll find out if this post falls into that category eh?

I'm only guessing, but I'd assume that anything with dangerous or illegal info would resjult in moderation?   I've had one post deleted a while ago and I later realised why

• Posted

Replying to my own post - now that's a sign I haven't been awake long and the brainj was still a bit sleepy.

I'm fairly sure the mods didn't tell me why they deleted my post, but I worked it out myself

• Posted

No links until approved. No product names. No argumentative or abusive posts is basically it.
    • Posted

HA HA.. Join the clan - I often feel like that at some point ...indeed I nearly repied to my own post earlier today and I didn't have your excuse of not being awake long.....LOL

I didn't got told either exactly why I had part of my post disallowed.. But like you jude - I figured it out for myself and it was because I had been too specific when I gave actual websites and they don't like that presumably because it appears to be disloyal to this one - or because if a website is mentioned on this forum - it APPEARS that the mods here are giving it credence !

I agree that it is a silly rule really because like you say we have then "to hunt for the hint"  that we have given - instead of going straight to it....grrr!!

• Posted

Maybe it's a legal thing about endorsing/criticising products or other websites?  That'd make sense I guess.

I wonder if it's ok to say we have info on a website and then get private messages?  Except I don't know how you do that, I've received them but haven't worked out how to send them.  Help anyone?

• Posted

I can't figure out how to work private messages either .... I've hunted around the site but still don't know how to send them or receive them! I keep getting told I don't have any...LOL 

So if you ever find out how to do it Jude  - do you let me know will you !!

• Posted

To send someone a pm you will see an envelope under their avatar beside their name. Click on that and you can write a post just like posting anywhere else but which only that person will see.

If you have had a message, it will show up on the top right corner of this page - where your avatar, name, and "my groups" and "my discussions" appear against a silver grey background box. If you have email notifications you will also get an email telling you someone loves you and has sent a message ;-)

• Posted

AND I LOVE YOU TOO EILEEN..... YOU'VE  SOLVED MY PROBLEM.... BLESS YOU..LOL

Seriously...I am very grateful... And have to admit to have never noticed the little envelopes before.... Perhaps I should've gone to 'Spec-savers"...ha ha

• Posted

I aim to please ;-)

Maybe you should change your name...

• Posted

I know I was told the reason my post was held up was because there are links in it.  so here's the info I was trying to get to all of you:

There's another thread here on this site re. Simvistatin 40mg and memory issues.  That should be enough info for you to get to it.  When I didn't have any links in my post, it was put up pretty quickly, all things considered.  It's in that thread.

I also referred to an article on the FDA's website with new warnings about statins and the damage they can do.  Rather than put a link up here to that, it's easy enough to have you just go directly there.  A nurse at my cardiologist's office did yesterday, while I was on the phone with her.

Of course another thread here by David25160 is the one I answered yesterday with the links, which probably has not appeared because of those links.  Let's all try to provide precise search data to use to find these things we are banned from sharing on this site, if they happen to contain links.    

I understand their thinking, they don't want any data on their site that is not valid and helpful, but if they hold posts up for scrutineering, surely they would see that those links are actual, efficacious and not damaging to the site at all.  In which case they would be posted on the second day after arrival, like such posts are on other sites.  

• Posted

There are hundreds of threads on this site and only a small number of moderators at best (often only 1). Certain things are caught by automatic screening which catches any links, certain words or combinatios of letters or words that are repeated a lot of times - it is to catch spam, especially ads or the other word for gender posts. You would be amazed how often they appear! Moderators have days off too so sometimes it takes a bit longer for things to be approved. 

If you have particular set of links you want to use regularly make up a post and ask the moderator to approve them - then you can provide a link to that post - he usually puts them on the front page of the forum where all the threads are listed. That's what I have done for my "go to"links in PMR/GCA.

If you have specific ones - put the title/subject but not the actual links and if anyone asks for it send it by private message.I know it's annoying - but given the size of this site it is necessary. Any link WITHIN patient.info is allowed.

• Posted

Hi all,

There is an FAQ section here

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/topics/59133-discussion-forums

which is linked to at the bottom of every page in the forums which will answer all of your queries in this thread. If you have any questions feel free to send me a Private Message. I would have replied earlier but was off last week so there may have been delays in posts getting approved and spent this week catching up.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you Alan for explaining the situation.  I certainly felt somewhat aggrieved that my post had been removed as I only repeated somebody else's link....eek!

yours aye,,,old alz!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.