Had my myomectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi me again!

So I had my myomectomy last weds evening. I was nervous as hell and cried in whilst the anesthetist was tending to me. They gave me an epidural to make me more comfortable and which meant I would need less 'hard' drugs after surgery lol as they didn't want me to take too much morphine Etc.

When I came round they told me my consultant had removed 13 fibroids. I had 14 so I was immediately in my drunken state questioning them as to what she had done with number 14 smile turns out she left maybe 1-1.5 behind as they were small and she didn't want to risk damaging my uterus.

The next day I felt surprisingly good and wasnt really in any discomfort. I found out this was cos of the epi. I was itching though which is a side effect.

I had some off days generally with trapped wind and a feeling that my tummy was very very tight and being pulled in all directions which wasn't pleasant but it's now day seven after surgery and I'm managing to control the pain with just paracetamol. I refused ibuprofen two days ago as they were giving me gastric pain.

I can't get comfortable that much in bed as my back hurts quite a bit which might be a side effect of the epidural not sure but all in all I'm not too bad. My consultant has been amazing. She was coming to see me most nights in hospital even around 10pm to check on me. She is pleased with all and how it looks and I'm finally back home since last night and am to go back to her in 5 weeks. They told me its a very slowly healing process and I had a BIG op but slowly slowly I'll get there smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

sounds as though you are doing really well.  dont rush things though!

• Posted

Hi Michelle. Yes I must not rush but can't help it. Feel like I want to do something. Will try a little walk in park later though I still feel quite light headed!
  • Posted

Hey Miss. Burbs, I am glad to hear you are recovering well. I had my myeomectomy last August and want to give you some advice. Please, whatever you do take everything slowly. You need time to heal. It can be frustrating when you think you are ok and then set yourself backwards by overdoing it. 

I was off work for 12 weeks, went back and actually went back to early, but felt I needed to go back. Please give ourself the right time to recover, it's a much bigger op then people realise. 

Look after yourself and take it steady. As for the back pain, I had something similar (no epidural though). It is a lot of pokig and prodding, so probably a combination of your epidural and bruising. I hope you are feeling better soon, but make sure you rest too smile

• Posted

Hi Bek

Thank you so much. Yes, I was in hospital thinking to myself I can't believe women voluntarily have c-sections if this is what they go through but the nurse said to me what i had done was much bigger and that it will take longer for me to heal. I keep think one week has passed maybe I should be pushing myself a little more. Trying to be more active. At the moment I'm managing to go up and down stairs a few times a day and doing a couple of laps of hallway or garden then I go back to bed to rest. I've only been signed off work for 8 weeks so hoping I will be ok by then. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond smile I hope you are all better now!

• Posted

Hey, you sound like you are doing fine. Around similar exercise to me after a week. The risk is that you could do more damage in the long run.  I have to say I was only initially signed off for 6 weeks, but needed longer and the doctor actually asked me not to go back to work.

My story was a little different, as because of my fibroids I had been unable to eat solid food for 5 months and lived off of smoothies and soup, so someof the issue was my weight and energy levels. That said it is a much bigger op than a cesarean. I can't tell you how many people said to me they had a cesarean and still had to look after children  and couldn't understand why recovery was so long. It is a totally different op, so don't compare your recovery to theirs. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope that helps smile

• Posted

Gosh!! My only symptoms really were daily tummy pains, frequency of passing water, back pain leg pain and slightly heavier periods.

I will go a bit easier then. Just that the nurses have been telling me I need to stay active but am very tired. Thanks Bek.

• Posted

you did have a big op.

your surgeon had a fair old time removing all those beasties.

well done and thanks for sharing.

some sites make a myomectomy sound like a bloodbath.!

one thing i would like to ask is how was the epidural.?

i was scared to have it for my polypectomy cos of a bad experience

when i was a kid having a lumbar puncture.

i had a general instead.

so is the actual needle no big deal?

anyway you were very brave. well done.

• Posted

Hi Chica

Thanks for replying. To be honest I was a little nervous so they gave me a slight sedative before giving me anesthetic etc however I'm not really afraid of needles and I don't remember it hurting at all. I was actually quite surprised. I think it helped a lot as I was relatively pain free for the first two days after the op. I'm suffering with some back pain now and I'm not sure If that's cos of the epidural but all in all it did help.

• Posted

Also ladies be careful what you eat. I am feeling pain after every meal. My tummy feels real tight and diarrhoea is PAINFUL!! sad

Tummy cramps with a myomectomy scar is no fun!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.