4 years and counting

Posted , 8 users are following.

Don't want to depress everyone but I've had PF on and off (mainly on) for 4 years now.  Like most others on this forum I've tried a lot of the stretches, insoles, ice etc.  I've also had acupunture, rested, not rested but not much seems to make a difference. One thing I wanted to compare is that as well as the normal symptoms I get intense burning in my heels, and even when the PF eases up a bit, this burning remains and I can't stand anything touching my heels, which as you can imagine makes life a bit complicated. Is this the same for you?

Thanks for reading and any replies.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Oh heck. No get pain 24/7 but not really burning....in fact I massage mine every night as also have Tendonitis in the Achilles. I am a shepher so on my feet all day at the mo it's a nightmare. No more wellies though, wear fell boots. Cx
  • Posted

Hi Debs

I too have had PF for 4 years, on and off, but no heel burning.  I have been told that it is 'degenerative' which is one of the worst words in the English language!  I get good days and bad days.  Will not have injections at any price, but have had shock wave therapy which did ease things off for three months, then everything slipped back  again.  It might be worth you trying shock wave therapy, as it does work for some people.  It's a horrid thing to live with so I know how you feel.

• Posted

Hiya, did you pay for the shock wave therapy yourself?
    • Posted

Hello Carly, 

I had it on the NHS, but it took 10 months to get an appointment!  My advice is if you want it and can afford it then splash the cash.  As said. Encore it eased things off for three months, then came back, but it does seem to work for some people.

• Posted

Thanks Soxy - my GP has said it isn't available on NHS in our area (Hampshire), which is gutting as I'm potentially going to lose my job as a Midwife for the NHS!  
  • Posted

Hi ! I can sympathise completely.I first had it about 13 years ago when I wore stupid flat flip fliop type shoes on holiday!I had insoles from nhs,rubbish,physio,useless,injections,no good!In desperation I went to London and had a pair of orthotics made to measure.These actually worked!I i was relatively pain free for 10 years!!Then it hit a gain badly.I had to give up my job, as I was constantly on my feet and was in tears at the end of the day!I found another podiatrist recently who immediatetly taped my feet,which gave me some releif, and put ice on them and i did stretches he recommended.I now have some new orthotics and fingers crossed they will work again.I can feel a little bit of relief after just a few days,so will let you know how it goes.So there is hope!All the best Tina.
  • Posted

Hi I'm the same as you I've had this ugly condition for three years like you tried every stretch advised I use ice bottle daily and also get burning at the end of the day in my heels arches and under my toes.I use night braces to aid this burning feeling at first it hurts using them but after 15 mins my feet star feeling better. I wear all night and it does help a little. Plus have you used mueller arch supports they stop that burning sensation sometimes. I think the burning sensation is the blood flow not getting into the plantar or that's what I've been told. I've had cortisone gastrocnemius release shock waves and now waiting for prp injections and truly it is a depressing vile condition. It does make life really challenging and I so sympathise with you. The mueller arch supports somehow help the heels !! My doctor gave me amotriptolene pills but the problem with that is you can't feel when you are overdoing activity on your feet and I think I've made my feet worse than ever !!!! Good luck
    • Posted

Hi, the mueller ankle straps are very similar to the ones I am trying - but different from the arch supports you suggest.  They do help but make my feet very hot and feel very claustrophobic. However I shall perservere. Do yours just fit around the arch only. You sound as though you have tried many medications and other remidies. Are the prp injections private only?
  • Posted

Hi well I have had it on and off for 5 years now. have had three injections but it only plays up when I over walk.  sometimes my feet are sore or numb.  I have just ordered some socks for pf so watch this space.
    • Posted

Oh I do hope they work for you

I hate to say I had socks that pulled up your toe they looked like compression socks recommended highly by professionals but they hurt my heel/toe badly and I gave up quickly. But each case of PF so different.

Let me know how they work for you and I'm keeping fingers crossed for positive outcome for you. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I have ordered some straps which may work in a similar way as taping your feet so I'll let you know how I get on. I'm really reluctant to try injections as some of you are, but I can see this has been effective in some cases. My friend swears wearing high heels cured hers but this will just cause problems elsewhere for me.  Good luck everyone!
  • Posted

Yes I love wearing heels it's such a relief but agony for my knees!! Aaaaaah really fed up with it but keep on trying. Xx
  • Posted

Hi, I get the burning in my heels too, quite regularly.  I've had PF for coming up to 2 years now, had most treatment going including injections except shockwave.  I'm a midwife and my duties have been altered to allow for the condition but not for much longer - I might lose my job soon. So depressing.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your job - that must be awlful.  My job is mainly sitting down so even though my feet bother me all day I won't have to give up work. So the injections didn't work for you then?
    • Posted

Have had several over the last 2 years, initial one worked for about 6 weeks, second and third ones didn't work at all, then a gap in time and fourth didn't work, but fifth worked for again about 6 weeks and since October it's been getting worse again.  Saw consultant again yesterday and he's recommending surgery now eeek, not happy about it but don't know where else to go with it.  
    • Posted

God you poor thing  - you have really been through it.  I can't bear the thought of even one injection but I would have them if I thought they would give me long term relief. Has anybody recommended prp injections to you?  It does seem as though this is now thought of as an alternative to surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.