Boot advice - Getting clothes on ETC

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, Its great finding this forum after my injury. Glad to see i am not alone, not that i wish it on anyone.

I ruptured my achilles a month ago playng squash, so gutted and they found both a tear, just below the muscle and another one that was a complete rupture at the heal.(this was found during operation stage) I know its not for everyone as the natural route was offered to me, but I was lucky enough to get a quick operation 2 weeks ago. Today i had an appointent at the clinic and they took my stiches out which was so painful and took the heavy cast off and put me in a boot, foot pointing down with wedges.

I was wondering how one copes with the boot? how do i get trousers on ? I have an office job and wouldnt mind putting some on. The boot is massive! does anyone know of any online info? Can i un zip the felcro straps and slip my trousers on and have the strap part positioned on the outside of the trousers?  I would appreciate any help.

Best wishes

Dom

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Craghoppers do a stretchy material wlaking trouser that fits over my cast for a ruptured anteriror tibialis tendon. They are a reasonable price, not too many zips and pockets and look okay.
  • Posted

Hi Dom,

Yes that's the biggest problem with the boot.  I bought oversized tracksuit bottoms which have a zip at the lower leg end so that you can get them over the boot.  However I tend to put them on first then pull them over the boot when fitted.

I am due finish wearing the boot on Saturday but will not be disappointed to see it go.  Its done its job (hopefully) and now its time to up the exercise regime and hopefully get my calf muscle back.  Long time to go I know but at least am headed in the right direction.  However, at 65 years of age I think that squash and table tennis are out of the equation now. Shame but at least am better off than a lot of people.

Best of luck anyway

Chris L

• Posted

Good luck chris; 65 here too and out of the boot in December last year. Tendon is fine, but that calf muscle is still only about 70% and still not normal walking yet. Gym 2 or 3 times a week, but still not able to walk more than 4 or 5 miles
    • Posted

Hi Chris. Wow get the champaigne out, saturday! good on you.

Is it okay to take boot off for a small bit of time then? to get dressed? i am really unsure. nurse wasnt very helpful today.

Many thanks

• Posted

My boot experience; (conservative treament, no op) was boot on 24/7 and no weight for 5 weeks. During that time I took the boot off lying on the bed and washed the leg and changed sock every other day. VERY careful not to move the ankle. After that, I could take the boot off in the evenings  ( minimum weight bearing) and start exercising with bungee stretches...
  • Posted

I bought large stretchy track suit bottoms and indoors I wore a skirt I got from the charity shop! Was surprisingly comfortable, and I'm seriously thinking of getting a kilt now :-)

The other product i found really useful was a "Limbo Boot" (google it) protects the boot or a cast so you can shower a bit more easily. Tell them you have an air boot and they can make it a bit bigger to fit over the boot. VERY helpful company

• Posted

Thank you. I have bought a limbo bag but not tried it on the boot. fiited cast well. hope it fits? failing that i will buy a bigger one as you said. Thanks again
    • Posted

I ordered a limbo bag, and it arrived the folloing day... didnt fit over the boot, and following an email exchange, I gave them the dimensions and a custom made one popped through the door, no extra charges... brilliant service.

• Posted

Not my usual style I admit, but it was very comfy and only cost a quid!

• Posted

I think their sizes only cope well, at least the large one, witha plaster cast. When I explained I had an air boot they got me to measure a few key points on the leg and made me a custom one for free..Faultless service, 10/10
  • Posted

Sooo glad I'm not the only one who thought having the stitches out was painful ,I'd rather give birth than go through that again lol

Dom did you have to have anchors put in during surgery,I'm finding that is where I get most pain when wearing the boot ,I've been in the boot for about a month now and still feel tender in some spots

• Posted

Mary having those stitches out will stay with me forever. but its done now. Another tick crossed off. Sorry Mary what are anchors ? not sure what they are? 
    • Posted

It Seems I was rather fortunate, I had staples in my leg after reconstruction, they were a little stingy when the nurse removed the especially the first one and one whch was buried in a fold of skiin but apart from that it was relatively painless, I was a little aprehensive after reading some of the stories on this forum but either I have a high pain threshold or I was lucky, the main problem I have now is a pain betweenmy shoulder blades from weight bearing on the crutches, it is giving me severe discomfort especially when sitting and turning.
    • Posted

I had the same problem when I tried the no operation route (which didn't go well) crutches literally crippled me I was in agony so ended up using a frame around the house it was much easier ,second time round after op I must have built some upper body strength finding it much easier This time

• Posted

I thought my upper body strength was OK because I was doing archery regularly before my injury and sojourn to Thailand, My bow is 45 lb draw weight but 6 months away proved me wrong, I am trying to get back to shooting fitness using weights and bungee straps, the pain is starting to ease and is helped  by partial weight bearing, I am now in my 3rd cast with a reduction in the equus, another week to go before the next cast and angle reduction, the plaster tech had me raise my foot untill it was painful held it in that position until the f/glass went off, a little uncomfortable at first but now OK.
    • Posted

All the casts ect are the worst bit ,once they all come come off and you start with a boot ,first week was agony then there after every day things get stronger and I've seen myself progress far quicker now ,so hang in there ,it get easier x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.