Chronic Tension Headache

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi one and all. I must start by saying that of many websites about matters to do with headaches and in particular chronic tension type headaches, this site is one of the best, if not the best I have come across. What comforted me (if that is an acceptable word for what people like me are going through?) is that there are many points on this site that have not been clearly stated elsewhere. And I found myself fitting into many of the symptoms the articles were describing. As a deep thinker, it made my mind relax just that wee bit more. I didn't want to think I had a tumour or ruptured blood clot, etc. Or maybe I still need to have a CT scan to rue this out, I don't know? My chronic headache started in mid- December 2014 and has continued daily ever since through to mid-May 2015 now! 5 months of a dull ache/pressure in the head with associated feelings of fatigue with possible eye strain (?) and every so often a period of anxiety with much stress, is by no means a pleasant experience. My GP described one person having a similar condition to mine but took one year to come out of it! In mid-December when things started for me, it was a really stressful period of being made suddenly redundant from my job and having my wife about to go in for a moderately serious operation in hospital and with a sudden death of a friend my age and having to find and move into another rental house because of being made redundant and our one dog becoming lame and needing a very expensive operation and other stuff I won't bore you with. I think my blood pressure and anxiety levels hit the roof and I am wondering just what 'damage' has been done. My head dull ache started fairly suddenly with what I would describe as a tension band around the back and sides of my head which left after about 3 weeks then what remained is what I have now, and I don't like it. I would say I'm about 30% less productive, feel lethargic often and wondering if this is also affecting my eyes due to me having prescription reading glasses about a year ago. Any thoughts or comments or helpful suggestions about what to do about all this and how to get through it? My GP just says to wait another few months to see how things go!

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take amitriptyline for my cth. I also use this for another condition i have so its dual effect, my headaches starts up from my neck, it feels though like somebodys fist is driven upwards and the pain then takes hold of my skull, i cant tell you the shortest time i've had one, as they seem to last for very long periods of time, it does sound from your summary that yours has come into effect from stress. Keep note when the headaches occur. Also be firm on the the CAT scan, you need answers, whether it rules out things or doesn't, use every tool you can. Really logical they should've done cat scan before diagnosing cth. Nick.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments Nick. I really appreciate your quick response. Yes, the headache is there when I get up and when I go to bed. Thankfully, sleep seems to be the only place where I don't get to 'feel' this! And, yes, I'll make inquiries about the CT scan to rule out things.
    • Posted

Hi Nick. Thanks for asking. I've been attending a work conference these last 3 days, so I'm up early and back late. Surprisingly, feeling easier, certainly in the mornings...not sure if it's the adrenalin and the many distractions kicking in?
    • Posted

Pretty certain its the adrenalin and other thoughts proppelling you towards being kept motivated, keep a diary, work out the stress factors that oush your headache forwards, then set about how to try and come up with a way to either cope or ammend them, i can't say this has worked for me, clearing them, but thank science for medicine and also i have to learn to calm down. Hope work continues on a good road for you, Nick.
    • Posted

Hi nick ive been having really bad headache which sometimes feel like some one as put my head in a vise but my also starts from the back of my neck. Just wondering what other symptoms ypu get and how long they go on for?

My started just over 2 weeks ago where it came on very sudden while i was out shopping and felt really strange & dizzy also been feeling really out of it since it happenend

• Posted

Hi Anita, sorry to read that, mine can literally last past two weeks, i've got one today (day five without a break) sitting in drs office other day was nightmare, some woman yelling her head off and a group of people insulting the drs then being nice as pie as they went in. Sometimes the headaches floor me, like theres not a chance i can attend appointments, get up at all, the pain is very much always there, i have my eyes tested, done ct scan, blood pressure etc so followed that route, the amtrip is the only thing that 'dies' down the pain, there feels like a constant pressure in my skull (which it isnt, i know that it's the muscles from the neck and around the skull) but that is what it feels like, washing my hair also makes me want to scream, i could say i get very short tempered, irritable, but i suffer with other things that could attribute to that. Have you had your blood pressure taken? You mention dizziness? And your eyes? You should see your gp and get these checked in my view, take some information with you to the gp about cth, also check you ren't having a reaction to any medication you might be on already or just started.
  • Posted

Hey Simon, You've basically described symptoms and how exactly how I feel, I got to the point where I wanted to have a brain tumour as I could not cope with the pain anymore, I am now on 10mg amitriptyline a night which has lessened the pain and the things that were stressing me out are also ending, Don't worry it won't last forever and ask the GP to try amitriptyline, it will take a week or two to kick in

Thanks

• Posted

Hi. My GP has been in the game for a good while and he's very good. He has known me as a patient for several years. If I told you his name how might that help?
    • Posted

It's just that you mentioned the GP had a patient like you, anyway just forget I ever asked 👍🏻
    • Posted

Hi how r u getting on, I have tension headaches, it's been about four weeks gp just told me it can last six weeks once they kick in, clearly ppl are having them longer than that, how long was it before the gp gave you amitriptyline? Currently going to chiropractor not helping at the moment, things seem to be getting worse again at the moment
    • Posted

Was using ami for 2 months l, no made effect at all l. Now using pizotifen which lessen the pain other than that I am living on false hope, hoping to see a new doctor soon, it's been 1 and a half year, everyday I'm in pain, just working now to save up for private healthcare now.
  • Posted

You wrote a beautiful post, deep thinker. I am also one of those, and that often makes me tense up my shoulders and neck. Sometimes I realize that my shoulders are almost up to my ears! So I have to do a "body check" throughout the day to see if I'm holding myself tense or even rigid. Then I roll my shoulders around, take a couple of deep breaths and mentally connect with my body and tell it to relax. Stress and tension can do so much harm to the body, and it sounds like you've had plenty of both with the problems with your job and what your wife went through. Perhaps a look to the East for some answers might help: meditation, yoga, or a good massage. The mind and body are very connected, so try to relax, and maybe your maladies might relent. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi foxyloxy. Thanks for your reply. And for your thoughtful suggestion. Much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.