Paracetamol / Alcohol

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Last week I was under the weather so started taking Paracetamol. The problem is that I was a) A bit loose with the guidelines (i.e. 4-6 hours, more like every 2-3) and b) I was taking Lemsip and Sudafed when obviously you are not supposed to take different types of paracetamol.

On Friday I went out for a few drinks (lager & vodka). Since Saturday I have been feeling incredibly anxious (not a normal character trait) and on Sunday had what I can only describe as my first ever panic attack. Since then I have been feeling anxious, sometimes light-headed and heart racing.

Sunday was the lowpoint and it was starting to improve and by Thursday I felt back to normal…so I went to the gym. 30 mins into what was not an overly strenuous routine, I was back to feeling light headed, anxious etc – just sometimes coming over me in waves.

Could this be linked to the over-use of paracetamol combined with the booze or have I maybe something more serious to worry about?

**Please can we avoid slaps on the wrist for the reckless Paracetamol use, I’m feeling dreadful as it is.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sounds to me like the combination of feeling under the weather, slightly too much medication and alcohol made you feel physically quite different from usual... sometimes if you're in a vulnerable state your brain will go into alert if it feels your body is not behaving normally. This sounds like nonsense now I've written it down! – sorry, but I have been there and know what it feels like. Panic attacks can easily be triggered by physical unease. Mine were started by menopause combined with a nasty attack of flu. Don't blame yourself, tell yourself firmly that you'll settle down soon, don't do anything challenging for a few weeks, just take it easy, be calm, and above all don't let the occasional panic attack take over your life – just carry on through it. It won't hurt you, it's just a nuisance. Of course if you get any other symptoms it might be just as well to get checked out by your GP, but hopefully it's just a temporary blip.
  • Posted

Thanks for replying Sue, feel a bit more at ease just from reading that!

I'm hoping it's just the combination of things as outlined above, as I am 25 and have never felt this way previously and since it is such an uncomfortable, disorientating experience I don't want to have to deal with it long term.

Hopefully will settle down soon.

• Posted

Hi @DLiT. I know this post is from a year ago but I am expriencing the symtoms as you have described. However mine started from a near car accident. I've been feeling this way for a good 3 weeks. I've had three ECGs and blood tests and everything was normal but obviously I can't help but thinking I'm going to die because it also happens when I wake up and the doctors and nurses have said it's due to anxiety. Anyway I just wanted to ask if you're alright now, and have you manage to get rid of the symptoms? Please do reply thanks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.