Neck head pain advice appreciated

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, around 5 weeks ago I started with severe left sided neck pain, I think it was an injury brought on by repeated vomiting caused by morning sickness. But I'm not sure? It was just the left side, very intense and prevented me from turning my neck in any direction without being in agony. I had an xray which showed my neck was very straight most likely because the muscles had tensed.

3 weeks later the intense pain subsided and I'm now able to turn my neck however for the past 2 weeks my neck hurts constantly, it's not intense pain, it feels deep and aches, it feels like it's in my cervical spine and is very stiff. More worrying the pain spreads up into the base of my skull and I feel quite bad pressure there. It's like I'm struggling to hold my head up. Like my head is a bowling ball.

lying down helps a lot but as soon as I stand and walk about the neck pain returns and so does the head pain/pressure. Iv started physio and seen a chiropractor but it hasn't helped. I take codeine which does slightly help but not with the head pressure. 

Any advice ice would be great as I'm a full time carer to my disabled child and I can't get out of bed due to the weird feeling in my head. Thank you. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I developed a similar thing after I had a spell of vertigo and had to sit up in bed for several weeks to sleep. I'm afraid I've still not got to the bottom of it but I've been told it's muscular. I've had mine for quite a long time now. I would go to the Dr and rule out any other stuff going on. I also now get the stiffness in my upper spine and neck. My pain is in the side of my neck and travels through my face to my jaw and temple too. I think the sternocleidomastoid muscle is completely locked up but I can't seem to release it despite numerous physio sessions. I wish you lots of luck in getting it sorted. Xx
    • Posted

Hi mooma thank you for your reply, sorry you experience this too. I will look into the muscle stiffness, it does feel muscular, I took a clonazepan and it didn't help, I think it's meant to be a continued treatment but I'm unable to do that until the baby comes sad it's very annoyng isn't it, it makes me anxious. Have you tried any muscle relaxers? Iv got an emergency mri in the morning so I'll let you know if it shows anything xx
    • Posted

THe MRI is a good idea.  That should determine if there's any degenerative or nerve issues with the neck.  Your symptoms do sound like early stage cervical spondylosis,  but best to see MRI results first.
    • Posted

Yes I use amitriptyline which helped greatly for a while, but is less effective now. I had an MRI too but nothing showed up on there. The physio no thinks it's muscular. Good luck with the MRI. Let me know how you get on. Xx
  • Posted

Thank you both, had the mri today and should have the results in a about a week, I fly to Spain next week, I was wondering if I should cancel? Do you think the aircraft pressure will affect the neck? Would it help if I bought a cervical collar to wear in general? Thanks again x
    • Posted

Not really sure about that. You could ask your Dr I guess. I haven't really flown because mine makes me feel dizzy so can't help on that , sorry. Xx
    • Posted

Flight shouldn't really affect neck,  except maybe a little more tension.  You might get ear decompression sensations,  but many others do too.  I'd advise against a cervical collar because they reduce flexibility,  and can cause stiffness.  Maybe one of those little curved flight pillows to help rest the neck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.