My husband has been diagnosed with TIA

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am really worried.  My husband suffered a TIA on Saturday afternoon but did not go to the hospital till Sunday evening after my insistence because of the loss of use in his left hand.  He had tests and scans which apparently showed there had been no bleed on the brain but they were not sure what had happened.  He went back this morning and it turns out that an artery in the right side of his neck had a thrombosis, part of which had moved into the brain and damaged a very small area.  The doctor told him that this artery was narrowing and would eventually close altogether but the blood to his brain was finding other channels.  He said they could not operate on this type of condition as it was more risky than leaving it.  He has upped his Atorvastatin to 40mg and prescribed Clopidrogrel as well.  I am scared stiff that he is going to suffer another stroke possible a full blown one next time. Can any one give me any reassurance.  (I am just three weeks post hip replacement op so am feeling very helpless and emotional cry )

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That second smily face wasn't meant to be there! That's not how I'm feeling 
    • Posted

Take heart, the body is quite wonderful the way it can work things out. The blood is getting to his brain and the medication he is on is a blood thinner too. I suffered 2 major strokes due to a massive blood clot. I was on warfarin for 5 years and now only on clopidogrel and I have not had any more strokes. He should make a good recovery on the medication. No one can give you a definite assurance he won't have TIAs or minor strokes. All I can tell you is that my massive stroke on my left side happened 6 years ago and I am fine. So it follows to reason your husband should, with rest make a good recovery. I wish you both the very best and hope you both make a good recovery
    • Posted

Thank you Loretta, your comment is very reassuring.  I hope you continue to enjoy good health.  
    • Posted

Thank you Jill. I am planning a caravan trip and yes I drive and tow the caravan. I do hope your husband makes a great recovery
  • Posted

Always remember FAST, and call an Ambulance straight away :-(

I really hope your husband recovers well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.