Sjogren's and exercises?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have sjogren's and systemic sclerodermatitis. I have been told to do some exercises as these may help stretch connective tissues and alleviate some stiffness in scleroderma. With sjogren's, i just feel exhausted most of the time and I wonder if doing some exercises could help or aggravate my exhaustion. Is there anyone out there who could point out to me what exercises best suit me? Thank you and hope to hear back from you...

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have had  Srogrens for 23 years and Fibromyalgia for 22 yrs...many of the symptoms are the same.  The only excercising I can do is warm swimming pool walking etc...I also have a sauna with infrared lights and ionic...would love to get in the spa but I just can't bathe or spa..only showers......can't get in...the pool is very different..I use the local resorts pool..very easy to get into..hope you find out what you need Eva..be blessed and have a lovely day..:-) xxx
    • Posted

Hi Christine, definitely swimming!!! thanks! I'd go back to it regularly from now on. I'm also thinking about hiring a private physiotherapist next year so I can do the appropriate core exercieses etc. as my posture is sort of affected recently being so tired all the time. Thank you thank you for your encouraging note. God bless you! xxx
    • Posted

I also had some physio to learn what I needed to do in the pool...it was

really good...it was there hydrotherapy pool...like a big stainless steel bath with a chair lift to get you In and out.....I was lowered into the hospitals pool and showed my excersises...one day a week for a  about a month..then viola I knew what I had to do...They actually gave me a copy of the excercises onlaminated so I could take them with me until I got to know them...hope you enjoy,,be blessed..:-) xx

• Posted

Hello,

I highly recommend something low impact like cycling.

• Posted

Hi Roadcan, I tried cycling for about a couple of minutes and I felt beat up, perhaps the tropical weather didn't help at all. But also my knees were hurting afterwards. But thanks anyway...wink
  • Posted

Hi EvaPingoy,

I have the same and I feel really tired all the time, but I have been told to start going swimming again and light excersie like walking etc.  I tried going back to my Zumba but it left me really dry in the mouth and I struggled to keep up.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mandy

• Posted

Yeah, activities such as martial arts and cycling which I used to do are put on a stop because I'd end up feeling beat up the rest of the week. But swimming is definitely going to help. I live in the Philippines so walking isn't a very good idea here as it can be really really hot. Thanks Mandy!
  • Posted

Hi Eva!

My husband coaxed me in to trying to take a 30 to 20 min. walk each day. He and I both noticed I seem to have more energy and feel better overall. I noticed hills cause pain so I try to stay on a level area. I also try to breathe deep and enjoy my surroundings doing this seems to add to my sense of well being. I walk at a comfortable pace and try to relax. I also try to go when the weather is cool so I don't get overheated then have a piece of fruit and glass of water when I'm done to recharge a little.

Feel better,

Sally

• Posted

Hi Sally, I live in the Philippines so walking is quite an ardous task given the hot weather we have here. However, I love swimming so might try going back to it regularly. I remember feeling extremely relaxed being in the pool and doing a freestyle the whole time felt like a wonderful breather. I was a martial artist and a cyclist before but all these things I can't do anymore...so I get so depressed for feeling useless and everything but I suppose it's a stage that everybody who has sjogren's can get to at one point in time. 
  • Posted

Hello. I have Sjogrens and have been referred to a physiotherapist at the local hospital. On finishing with them have visited  a private physiotherapist and carry out exercises. Many are isometric and easy to do. I have found much pain reduction, increased flexibility well worth the cost and effort involved. I also think that walking is a good exercise. Wish you well Howard
    • Posted

Thanks Rider. I have been thinking about hiring a private physio as well. Just couldn't afford just yet but I'm working on it so I could have one next year. I just feel that my posture has also been affected with me being so tired all the time...motivation is another thing to get me to do some core exercises but I believe that once I have a private physio, things can get better.
  • Posted

Hello again. The NHS. Rheumatologist referred me to a NHS. Physiotherapist I think this was to deal with painful joints, lack of mobility, loss of strength. I lost a lot of weight before diagnosis, much of the weight loss was muscle. The exercises and manipulation increased the muscle, helping with the weight. Some of the problems related to ligaments and tendons, again the exercises helped. The physiotherapy also helped with the psychological side of Sjogrens. I also had a posture problem, once again the physiotherapy helped. Best wishes
  • Posted

I don't have systemic sclerodermatitis, but I do have SS, asthma, high blood pressure and dodgy knees (damaged cartilage).  I was told my both my consultant and GP to exercise when I can and don't when I can't (eg in pain).  I current do Tang Soo Do (Karate), swimming and light weights.  I also do the exercises that the physio gave me a couple of years ago for my knees.

I will say that when I'm not experiencing a flareup the exercises that I do really help me, I have so much more energy.  However during a flareup period, I really do not do anything.

As for which exercises best suits you, really only you and your medical personal can advise smile

• Posted

I have Sjogren's, fibromayalgia, POTS, anxiety, hashimoto's thyroiditis (and hypothyroidism), and asthma, some days my muscles feel weak, some days they do not, but what helps me the most is exercise. Nearly everyday I get out and do something even if it is a mild work out. I run because I enjoy it and it keeps my body strong in all aspects (I love to run with my dogs) I truly believe it has been the staple keeping me healthy and keeping away many of my symptoms. My doctors are amazed that I have been running for years with POTS alone and I am proud to say I can ran hard, fast and my muscles are in good shape. I also enjoy Yoga (though i am not very good at it) and I like to lift weights. My advice would be to listen to your body (I can't exercise in the morning b/c of POTS but i can push myself to do it in the evening after work so that is when I set aside time) and find exercise that makes you feel good and will strengthen your body. If you can do that you might be surprised how well and empowered you feel. I also took hydroxchloroquine prescribed by my doctor and it helped with fatigue but I went off of it after a month because I feel good enough that I do not need meds. Despite these illnesses I am on very few medications.
  • Posted

I'm afraid I have no advice, but if anyone knows of anything I would welcome it also, this feeling tired is very draining and I'm feeling a bit grumpy at times, so any advice please ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.