Full tear supraspinatis, just diagnosed FS.Dance teacher and mom to 8 month/breastfeeding.HELP?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am so glad I found this thread! I teach dance for a living and after a shoulder injury 6 months ago an MRI showed a full tear in the rotater cuff. Because I'm so commited to breastfeeding, bed sharing and my baby is so little I can not get surgery right now. I went to PT for over 2 months and can barely Choreograph, hold or nurse my baby on the left and no reaching. I went to an OS for cortisone 2 months ago and it has helped but NO ONE MENTIONED FS! Just went to another OS yesterday and was diagnosed with FS in minutes. Has anyone heard of Triogenics by Dr. Oolo Austin? Is this acute pain in the front of my deltoid from this? It sharp, like something is tearing if it get pulled the wrong way and then I have sharp stinging pain down my arm. My baby loves to curl up under my left injured arm and put her head and 20lb body in the nook and sleep and nurse. Her head rests right on the front of my shoulder. I can barely change her diaper because she wiggles and is strong and turns and poop goes every where because I can't use both arms, I can't put her in the car seat, get her in and out of anything; height chair swing, I can't even pick her up or put her on the ground. Baths are very difficult. She is very active and very powerful and curious about everything! I have to get on my knees and use my good arm which is getting exhausted and starting to hurt from over use. Choreographing and teaching like this without my bosses or clients knowing is causing so much anxiety not to mention living in chronic pain but I'm afraid I'll get fired and obviously people won't hire me if the word gets out I'm injured. I also have an entrapped ulnar nerve on the same side which causes burning and radiating sharp pain into my forearm, wrist and fingers and I'm on gabapentin for that. This doc yesterday put me on prednisone and mobic but I don't want to take any more meds while exclusively breastfeeding. He said he was going to treat me as if I don't have a baby. I wanted to smack him!!! Any guidance on how to fix this is appreciated. What has worked for you? Massage? Chiro? Aggressive PT? Pls don't tell me to stop breastfeeding and bed sharing. After 6 pregnancies this is my first and last baby and We LOVE breastfeeding and bed sharing and I don't want my shoulder to rob us of this once in a lifetime chance to bond like this. It is going so fast already! Thank you for your time and willingness to share! 🙏🙌

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bless you, and well done for being so devoted x 

i have similar problem to you without the baby but I look after children for a living , so know what you mean.

i have only had a ct scan at the moment , ...it's been eight months so far, two cortisone shots and physio.

i have to wait another eight weeks to see if any change as I have a frozen shoulder and my tendons are swollen so they are trapped in between my shoulder bones, very painful. 

I would love an MRI as I'm not convinced that I haven't ripped anything as like you the shooting pains etc, and God forbit a jerky movement its hundred times worse than stabbing a toe.

im sorry I can't offer you any help, just to let you know you are not alone in this situation. Xxx although it does get desperate at times . 

• Posted

Hi there, oh you poor poor thing I really feel for you, I found it hard having FS with a 10 year old, but having a baby reliant on you for everything and a job is nigh on impossible!

I had straight FS on left side, started with pain in arm, thought it was torn muscle, then usual progression more pain, spasms, couldnt drive, work, even shuffling from one room to another hurt like hell, cortisone helped a little but not for long, then it started to happen in the other shoulder.  After 5 months of hell I went for the surgery, arthroscopic release, was terrified, but it was worth it.  I was off the heavy meds in a few days and then just when needed for another week, then fine.  Your case is of course more complex and I dont know if the recovery is different for a cuff tear, but I would say, don't be afraid of the op, I know it is hard when you are a new mum, but I felt so much better, even the next morning after the op, the pain was nowhere near as bad, movement was still restricted, but I felt great!  From what I have learned aggressive physio does more harm than good while you are in the freezing/frozen stage and all the 'natural' remedies dont do much either, I tried acupuncture, bowen therapy and Neil asher technique.  Some people have benefitted from Hydrodilitation where they break up the adhesions with water via an injection, my shoulder was too stuck to get the needle in so I went for the surgery, but others on here will be able to tell more about that.

This is a horrible condition which unfortunately can take years to resolve, my advice is dont rule out the op, it is not as bad as you fear, they numb the arm and give you only a very light anaesthetic.  Recovery takes time with lots of physio and home exercises, but at least you are moving forward and able to get on with life.  After 5 months of misery I was able to go back to zumba class 3 weeks after the op, couldnt do all the moves by any means, but I was ok.

Hopefully someone on here will have more or less the same shoulder issue as you and will be able to give you more guidance.  But remember, this horrible thing will end one way or another and you will be free of it and able to run around with your daughter.  Chin up love, you will get through it.  Gentle hugs to you and your baby Xxx

• Posted

Hello there ....I wish there was good news. Here take this pill and do these exercises and walla, but unfortunately this is a process of three phases and where some have success with certain things others have warned not to go. So, I've opted for a conservative approach called 'waiting'. I've been waiting for almost 10 months and although painful, things are definitely changing inside my arm. I can feel a tightening and the pain has gone from sharp pains to throbbing to dull aching. Sometimes there is a sharp pain, but they are definitely getting fewer. Even the sharpness part is slightly less sharp if that makes sense. I feel like I'm reaching the mid to end point of the second phase, but that's really an uneducated guess at best. In just a couple of hours this could change and I'm back to square one, but truly...I'm getting better I think. It's slow...almost undetectable. I don't know how you've managed thus far with a baby. You are honestly amazing. You know, I've been thinking..why? Why now and why this and why something unexplained? At first I thought that this was like some bad spell. Like I'm being punished for something, but...I never thought that I'd be saying this, but this is what I'm getting from all of this. My whole life I've never had to deal with myself. I have always found something to distract me from myself. But this shoulder thing keeps bringing me back to me. I had to take care of me. I've been taking care of everything except me, but with FS I can't ignore myself anymore. The pain really puts you in your place..slows you down...makes you take stock of you. What how where ...you you you. It's been the worse thing and it's also become the best thing. I know this is sounding crazy and I promise I'm on no meds..so this isn't an opiate talking. I don't expect anyone to understand where I'm coming from, but truly my journey through this pain has made me so much stronger and has also taught me how resilient I am...how tough I am. I'm an empathetic soul, but I've become more empathetic towards others in pain or strife. Take care lovely lady and stay strong. One arm hug xxx
  • Posted

The doc told me to keep my arm in a sling resting position for a few weeks. During the day slowly do exercises that physio has given me. I wear a spring splint during the day. It really took the pressure of the weight off my shoulder.

No lifting or use. It must be difficultt with a new baby. Maybe it's time to ask the doc for medication as well as a good spring splint to support the weight of your arm to wear during the day. 

Both the my shoulders have issues and rest helps. Eventually I need surgery. So far just screws are in both. I have been putting off replacement for years. 

Take it slow and talk with your employer, ask if you can take another position to rest your arm. Sometimes resting the shoulder will help it heal, rather than cause permanent damage down the line.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.