I have reciently been diagnosed sjogrens & polmyalgia rheumatica. In flare up. Need advice.

Posted , 3 users are following.

In my 4th week of first really bad flare up. All new to me. Wonder which symptoms are Sjogrens and which are polymalgia rheumatica. Polymalgia is cureable but sjogerns is not. Been really bad. Sinsus badly swollen, salvia glands swollen so can't hear well. Severe joint pain and severe fatigue. 10 mg of prednisone helped pain and fatigure. Then came tounge swelling and raw, glands under jaw badly swelling. Thought I would choke to death. Scarey. Next shortness of breath, if tried to talk would gasp for each breath of air. Pain inesophagus center chest (not acid reflux) Are these all symptoms of the sjogrens? In 4th week how long do flare up last? How often can I expect bad flares to occur?(Please tell me a long time between.)   My rheumatologist is out of town and expects my local family doctor to help me with this. He obviously does not really understand this problem and got upset wanting me to have all kind of test on esophagus, heart and so on. I said no! Would appreciate anyone elses experiences with this. Just don't know what is what. Hope I am on the upside of this flare. Thanks everyone..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I am Pam from the FB group British Sjogren's are you a member of the BSSA? We are a FB group for BSSA members and those with Sjogren's Syndrome so are quite knowledgeable about it. You really should be getting proper treatment as if you don't it will only get worse. Your problems all sound very typical as Sjogren's is a very close cousin to Lupus and is a connective tissue disease so it can attack almost anywhere and everywhere in your body. What are your medicines? You really do need to take your health seriously, I know it's very frightening but you must explain to your GP how worried you are. I am sure he will understand. You do need help as the sicca symptoms can be reversed. The reflux is common as is IBS. Has your GP checked you for Coeliac? I'm negative so as my bloods a seronegative my Sjogren's comes down the seronegative line from either or both parents as my dad was Hypermobile and my mum had Psoriasis! You do need to look after your eyes too. I think my IBS is colitis related and Sulfasalazine has cured a lifetime of mouth ulcers! Have you had an ANA test if so what was the titre? If you haven't your GP can do bloods for both and see if your low on any vitamins and other problems also check your inflamitory markers. I hope this helps. If you wish to join British Sjogren's you are most welcome just ask to join, I am Pam Newman and am an admin, just mention tou found me on Patient and I will let you in xxx Good luck
    • Posted

Pam, Thank you so much. I am just learning about these diseases. It appears that if you want to help yourself, you must learn all about it to confer with a doctor that is not up todate on it. My family has had none of the problems you discussed. I became a diabetic 15 years ago and this also happened about the same time(undiagnosed). They are currently testing for vitamins and minerals. He is going to check inflamitory markers as well. I would like to join British Sjogren's? Is that what I type in to get there?Thank you for you advice. I need it.
    • Posted

Hi yes it's a FB group for members of the BSSA and all with Sjogren's I am Pam Newman so if you have FB the app is free you need to join FB then look for groups. Failing that you can befriend me and say you are Susan from Patient so I will know who you are and let you in. If that fails I will give you my FB ID in a message
  • Posted

Hi Susan. Im so sorry you are going through a flare.I have Sjogrens and Hashimotos. Sounds bad! I have the same symptoms as you...just went to emergency last week...thought I was having a heart attack....It was some kind of spasm or prednisone complication. I'm good now. my flares have been 10 days to 6 weeks. Many years I have gone through everyday symptoms to bad flares. OK - This is what I have found works for me: I take plaquenil and pilocarpine. I get up and move and stretch and either walk a mile (more if I'm having a good day) or some kind of lower cardio activity. I put a glob of coconut oil in my mouth everyday and swish for 10 to 20 minutes then spit. Moisturizes my mouth and is an antibacterial and antimicrobial which may help with secondary symptoms due to dry mouth, sinuses, esophagus. sip water all day. Hard part: I don't eat sugar, gluten or dairy. First 2 weeks felt like I had the flu, then I woke up one day and felt like a real, healthy person! Symptoms 80% better. I tested negative for celiac but the no gluten makes a world of difference - for me. no sugar - use monkfruit sweetener, fruits to sweeten, agave -  I know they all have sugar, but the refined sugar, sugar cane, fake sugars, - make my legs, fingers and stomach swell up.It is very difficult to find doctors to deal with this - after years I have a wonderful Rheumatologist and PMD. May when your rheum gets back, there could be some type of communication initiated by you between rheum and pmd. good luck, meditate, drink water, walk, and hopefully have a better day!!! Monika wink
    • Posted

HI Sunsetstuff - good advice. hope your feeling better.

I'm going to try the coconut oil. 

• Posted

p.s - I've also found that drinking tea with 1 tsp of coconut oil (20 calories) coats your throat and esophagus and moisturizes them. I get a big vat of it (on sale!) for my tea (or any warm drink, because it has to melt -  even warm water or almond milk). I use coconut oil right after the shower on my whole body (except face) and my dry lizard sjogrens skin is 90% better!  I also use restasis for eyes and flonase for sinuses - and saline cleanse my nose.
  • Posted

Hi Susan - I have similar symptoms. Sunsetstuff is right, try a paleo diet. Many of the foods we eat cause inflammation. I've been on Paleo for 2 weeks and feel much better. Still have the symptoms but not as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.