I'm making it through FS with targeted massage

Posted , 1 user is following.

I first began to notice something amiss last October after some overuse of my shoulder. By December I was seeking help from my massage therapist. During the exceedingly painful freezing stage and also the less painful frozen stage I went for a 30 minute target massage on my shoulder once a week. That gave me a few days of less pain and better sleep before the surrounding muscles and ligaments started tightening up again. By the time the week was drawing to a close I was definitely ready for my next massage fix. Now that I'm in the defrost stage I go for an hour every three weeks and do some serious and a little painful shoulder work with stretching and some adhesion breaking. I am on the mend and range of motion increases at least weekly. Massage really helped me cope with the depression and hopeless feelings I would get from dealing with chronic pain. Prayer helped as well.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'd like to know how you break adhesions? As I'm suffering my 2nd FS in 2 years...I've posted the story so far..however 9+ months later I'm still feeling it dragging on & on...I have a consultant appointment 23rd & it can't come fast enough...this is pure torture. The night & sleeping is quite unbearablesad so I'd very very keen to know your adhesion breaking techniques ASAP please! 

Louise 

• Posted

FS truly is a miserable disease. I think the massage just helped me cope with it better by increasing the blood flow to the area and working on tight muscles in the arm in particular. More recently the therapist has been able to stretch the shoulder more because although it is still tight I am having less pain and can tolerate it better. She uses some passive resistance techniques. I'm not a massage therapist myself so I'm not sure how I would describe the techniques she used. I just know in the defrosting stage it has been quite effective in restoring range of motion. Good luck on your FS and I hope you are able to find some relief soon.
  • Posted

Oh ok I'll ask a massage therapist for some adhesion breaking therapy...thanks for that wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.