Diltiazam cream,Nifedipine Suppositories, Wheat bags ? Anyone got info on these for fissure & pain ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My daughter has tried the Diltiazam cream again recently - but this time she has come out in a very itchy rash so had to stop this. I spoke to the pharmacist & they have changed the brand of Diltiazam tablets they use - so I am wondering whether she is allergic to a different ingredient that the different brand is made from ? Again if anyone has had this issue - please reply. She has been getting some relief (after painful bowel movements) with a warm wheat bag (it is long with 3 sections - so can be moved to fit the painful area) I have just been reading about Nifedipine suppositories - does anyone have any experiences with these ? Thanks for any info - in fact it is so helpful to read anyones stories of what works/doesn't work smile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I found the best result was having Sitz Baths several times aday - and always after opening my bowels - you can get the little tubs on Amazon, and it was a LIFEsaver for me - and I meant that in the most literal way.  Fissure pain is unbearable.  

The best resut I had was using Coconut Oil in the Sitz bath a couple of times a day - I just melted a marble size ball of coconut oil in the hot water - as hot as can comfortably stand it - and soaked my bottom for about 20 minutes.  It soothed and I am convinced it helped heal it.

No pharmaceuticals did me any good.  

I don't now how old your daughter is, but I did find a shot of Scoth helped as well - and I mean that seriously - it relaxed the muscles and me and made the whole ordeal much easier to cope - once or twice a day, when the pain was at its worst I would have a little nip of Scotch and I am convinced there are indeed medicinal qualities to it.

Probably  not reccomended by any NHS Doctors - but it is what worked for me when nothing else would - those three things are what got me through in the ned, when I often thought I would never make it.

Good luck!

• Posted

I agree with what PenceJ said, I usede coconut oil and also you may wnat to try Calmoseptine Cream. It has menthol in it and soothes the area. I still use it today. 
  • Posted

Hi dee09196,

I am so sorry that you have to go through something as horrendous as this. I went through what you are going through now last summer for about 50 days. I tried to wait it out, and after waiting a long time, I gave up and had the surgery. First of all though, as far as the laxatives you are taking, make sure you are not taking too much of them becuase diarreah can actually do worse on your fissure (becuase of its acidity) than a semi soft poop will do. As far as the surgery, I would definately go for it. I had the surgery done last summer, and I do not regret it at all. I will not tell you that the pain went away instantly after the surgery, because it didn't and then you have to deal with the pain of the surgery itself, but the surgery was one of the best decisions of my life. You are probably like I was, laying in bed, maybe with a wash cloth in your teeth to try to prevent yourself from screaming from the tremendous amount of pain from the fissure (which the wash cloth helps too because the tension in your body in going into your jaw, rather than your butt. I feel really bad for you and can recommend some other things to do besides just the surgery that can help make you feel a bit better.

1. Try calmoseptine cream. It has menthol in it and may numb the area. I use it almost every day now as it prevents sweat from builidng up in your butt that can make you feel even worse around that area. You can buy it at a local drugstore or on amazon. 

2. Instead of sitting when pooping, try to squat. If you look up on google images: squatting to poop, you will see an image of a guy pooping that is not only healthier for you, but does not have you strain at all when you are trying to go poop at all. I do this everyday now as it helps make pooping less strainful.

3. Try to watch a movie or a really long tv show right after pooping to distract yourself from the pain.

Again, I am really sorry you have to go through this Nicole. It really does suck and people who have never had one have no idea how painful it really is. However, I want to leave off this comment by saying that you should get the surgery. Getting botox or doing the diltazem cream for a chronic fissure will not help. If it is chronic, which your doctor said it was, I would get the surgery. The percentage of inconstinence is very low and to be honest, from my surgery, the only thing that changed is it is a little bit harder to hold in farts in public. But frankly, I think I will let other people smell my farts a bit in exchange for getting out of a hellful of pain in my butt.

I hope this advice helps and I would like to know how you are doing later to see if you did the surgery and if there is anything I can do to help you.

Good Luck and Stay Strong!!! 

Myles

• Posted

Hi Dee. I used the same cream as u had tablets and I too had a reaction similar to hives. Then I had to have anti histamine and other cream to calm it down. I've had a chronic tear and another small tear. The chronic tear ive lived with for 9 years. I've tried it all. I did find that using the shower directly after bowel movement down there really helped. I've cried, screamed through it. Been through 3 lots of failed botox. I also found when my skin felt unbearable inside that the anusol suppositories really helped to calm down the area. Well for a little while. I had the surgery a month ago. I got an infection after which was awful. A month after now I do get a little stinging but its minimal and sometimes I don't get pain at all. I do however sometimes let wind go! I couldn't stand that chronic pain any longer and went for internal spincterectomy. I'm really glad I did now and I'm still healing. This experience of 9 years has really changed my life. I still take 2 laxido and two lactulose before bed so I have no strain at all the following morning. I've given up alcohol and drink 5 pints of water daily and eat as healthy as I can. When I had hives I used ice as this was the only way I could sleep. I really hope this helps xxxx I suffered so long and I'm still on the mend.
    • Posted

Good lord - how on earth did you cope for 9 years???  sad sad sad  
    • Posted

It was awful in every which way. Sometimes the suppositries helped and pain killers. Some days were worse than others and with 3 kids one very young I had no choice. Xx I'm now almost pain free. I do get a bit of stinging but wanted to thank u guys as I've just bought that cream as I do get sore bum sometimes!! When I had the infection in the wound after surgery the pain was so chronic o told my go I wanted to die! I've had enough. Now I'm really glad I did have the op. A bit of stinging here occasionally and to be able to poop with no pain is heaven to me xx how u doing now x
    • Posted

I am just about over it - occassionally some stinging - still the occassional need for a sitz - but I "only" had to endure this since Jan/February - and just that - that amont of time and the severe pain made ME question if I would want to live through it - there were days where I would literally climb the walls with pain and just wanted to die.  I cannnot imagine your strength and endurance.  I suppose our children were a huge driving force - but wow -  I really really do feel for you and am so happy for you that you have a marked improvement on the situation now.  I hope you continue to feel better and better and better.  Such an awful condition - no one could imagine it until they experience it.  
    • Posted

Completely changed my life. I couldn't just go to bed etc and rest because I have little ones. I tried that rectogestic too but the head aches were too severe to cope with. I've heard this op is 90% chance of healing for woman. I have to hang on to that hope. Hope I never have another chronic tear again. Completely changed my life. My tear happened after csection. All the pills etc. I kept telling the midwives and I did get lactulose but it was so stuck it caused the tear. Have a good evening and keep in touch. Tell me how your doing x
  • Posted

I had the same problem with Diltiazam cream and broke out with a blistering rash.  Aquafor ointment has helped with skin irritation immensely.  It lets oxygen flow freely but keeps moisture barrier so that skin keeps it's moisture but does not get affected by outside moisture.  Did you try the Nifedipine suppositories?  I want to know if they work.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the contributions. Sorry we have not had any further info on anyone using Nifedipine. My daughter gets slight relief with Rectogesic - but it causes intense headaches for her. She tried sitz baths - but the position of sitting in them was too painful (as she can only bear to lay on her side after a bowel movement) The warm wheatbag helps with the pain. She is due to have her 4th operation in a few months time as previous 3 have not worked (e 3 fissurectomies with botox) She is having the advancement flap - as the surgeon does not want her to have the LIS - as she is a young woman & not had children. Unfortunately I cannot find any real success stories with the flap sad 

Still interested to hear any updates etc from other peoples experiences with chronic fissure (s) .....hope there are some good results for you all smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.