Another endoscopy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I had an endoscopy in February to assess why I had a lump sensation in the throat and some stomach pain. Prior to the procedure I had no chest pain whatsoever. 

After the endoscopy, I was diagnosed with silent reflux and Barretts Oesophagus and have had chest pain ever since.

I told the consultant about this a few days ago and he wants to perform another endoscopy to find out why I have had chest pain since the initial procedure. I'm a bit hesitant as I'm not 100% sure that he didn't cause the problem in the first place. Would anyone else go ahead or get another consultant to have a look?

cheers

S

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi that's a difficult decision.

Just a thought but is there anyway the chest pains could be down to anxiety over finding out about the Barretts? etc.. Also is it easy to swap consultants?

• Posted

Yea, there are a few consultants around. I'm with Bupa I'd just call them to see who they have on their list. When I had the first endoscopy one of the theatre nurses was talking about the air not coming through properly via the endoscope (I.e. to blow the air in to enlarge everything so they can look). Then they said it was ok again. I always have that in the back of my mind whether or not the equipment was ok. I'm going to get sedated this time as previously I gagged a few times so that could have lead to chest pains. Just fed up with every day annoying pain. I was thinking about having LINX done if this is not sorted out soon.

cheers

s

• Posted

From what you have said, I personally wud change consultants. Otherwise you may regret it, if you get pains again after. Not sure if they are keen to do lynx if you have got Barretts.

Clare

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.