Anyone had a floppy toe after surgery?!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've had surgery on 3 toes and my bunion but whilst slow I'm regaining movement in 3 toes and big toe but one toe remains 'dead'.

It's like I've solved a few issues through surgery but gained another. The toe gets caught on the ground. It's painful and annoying.

Has anyone experienced this and if so does the movement eventually return? Help!

I can tell the doctor isn't expecting much more from this toe which is depressing. I'm 10 weeks post op. X

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Fiona

10 weeks is still a very short time. I'm 7 months on and still have major swelling over the 'wound' on both feet, the right worst than the left. I'm bilateral lapidus and Atkins with hammer toe release. The 'hammer' toes lost all sensation and it's only recently that it's come back.

have you been to a physiotherapist? They might be able to sort you out a few exercises?

have you ask the doctor what can be done to rectify Mr floppy?

caroline

• Posted

Hmm, surgeon has told me he will not fix mr floppy if function does not return, preferring to put it down to a 'it was meant be' ethos. Highly medical, but this is Dubai..😁..

I'm on my 4 th week of physio and the therapists are staying positive which I'm grateful for and as you say, it's still early. I would never have believed your feet would still be swollen at 7 months but as my own foot is continually puffy and sausage toes I am now accepting it!!

So I looked up the procedures you had and still can't get a decent description, what did you have done? I'm ashamed to admit I don't exactly know what I had done, all I know is a k wire, 4 screws and staple later I'm trying to make sense of it all!!

What can I expect in the months to come? X

• Posted

Fiona

Dubai -wow, the weather must be great, make sure your tootsies get in the sun, it's amazing what it can do!

lapidus, virtually they break the first metatarsal twist it around and screw it to the second one, shave the major joint both sides and hope that everything fuses together and you can walk afterwards. 

Cut the tendons for the 2nd toes, and break and realigned the first toes.

had both done at the same time. Minimum recovery period is 12 months.

keep taking pictures of you feet, and when you look back you'll be amazed how far you've come on, that's what I've done -they're not beautifully straight, but I was born with large joints and my eldest daughter (24) has got perfect feet and her joints are promenant, always had been.

these procedures are major surgery, 10 weeks is nothing, keep on with the physio.  I keep surprising myself by increasing movement in the feet week by week.

hang on in there!

caroline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.