Pred - best taken Morning or Night ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

My Doctor said it must be taken in the morning. I have read quite a bit about taking it at night.Which do you prefer and why ?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi Flutterbie57

Have taken mine AM, PM and split half AM and half PM and am still undecided as to what is best. Some on the forum wake themselves up at 2AM so as to take their preds with a sandwich or something similar but as I find it hard to sleep anyway be dammed if I am going to wake myself up. I tend to prefer all in the AM with breakfast so that I don't forget. Not everyone is the same so really its trial and error and down to the individual. Good luck.

• Posted

If you follow this link http://www.patient.co.uk/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316 it will take you to the pinned section. 

There are different theories and that what works for one does not always work for another.  But it is worth knowing why we are advised to take it in the morning.  

Extract from BSR Guidelines.

commended Time and Why.

The recommended time for taking steroids is normally as a single dose first thing in the morning as this is the closest mimic of the body's normal production of cortisol. 

By taking it like this there is the least suppression of the HPA axis which is the posh name for the hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal glands which produce a whole range of chemicals which together make a lot of the rest of our body operate normally (thyroid etc).  

It has been shown in studies that taking a dose of less than 15 mg* in the morning has no suppressive effect whilst 5mg in the evening does suppress the early morning activation of the HPA axis.  *Guidelines referred to are British Society of Rheumatologists June 2009)

One thing more, golden rule pred for breakfast, calcium for lunch, the two don't like to be taken together

• Posted

i take mine with yougurt, low fat and a banana and i done seem to have any problems. Have thought about splitting at the moment on nine, hopefully after hols going to reduce to eight, any thoughts about this .
    • Posted

Hi Lodger,

i have been taking mine at night (11:00) because it seemed I wasn't getting up in the middle of the night (awake and up for about 2hrs).  I want to do everything I can to make taking prednisone less taxing on my body so will try going back to morning (6:00am).  Thanks for the info.

Diana🌸

• Posted

Yes totally agree up to individual.I personally have taken always in am after breakfast.Seems to work ok
  • Posted

Flutterbie, I took my complete steroid dose first thing in the morning with breakfast throughout my years on treatment which was simple and uncomplicated.  The earier the better to be in line with our natural cortisol production that takes place in the very early hours - but a bit too early for me to disturb my sleep!  There are a few people who have problems with being unable to function properly during the day due to the steroids taking many hours to take effect in their bodies to reduce their early morning stiffness.  For them, it can help to split their dose, taking two-thirds in the early morning and the remaining third in the evening, the latter dose supposedly enabling them to get going more easily in the morning.  A personal choice - what suits one may not suit another.
  • Posted

Lodger has explained the time to take pred very well from the BSR guidelines. I suppose the time they take to work may vary a bit on whether you take the coated version which takes longer to be absorbed by the body rather than the uncoated variety. I now have some pred which it says must be taken at 10pm in the evening, which is totally different to when I had the coated ones which I was told to take in the morning.
  • Posted

I started taking my pred at midnight when I go to bed due to the fact that it makes me very light headed. Made me very worried about driving so I switched and I have been fine ever since. Really trust your own body and not the doctors advice. Best to you, Flutterbie57
  • Posted

I take mine in late afternoon my dr never suggested a time of day. I tried taking it at 8 am but It gave me fuzzy brain really bad ruined the day,so I went to 6 pm because any later and sleep problems.I am now  at 4pm trying to slowly move it back to am what a pain! I tried other methods such as taking the dose at 6 and then another at 8 am but that made me feel awful so I am back to my slow plan but I am very sensitive to any change.I started at 10 mg I am now at 9mg but everyone is different and responds as such.I think of this as one long experiment.You will find this site will give you great advice gleaned from a wealth of experience.Good luck
    • Posted

Carol

If you wake, say an hour before you usually get up, drink something and perhaps eat a slice of bread you have wrapped up the night before, (I used to eat two digestive biscuits and took a flask of hot water and a tea bag to bed), take your pred and snuggle down for a couple of hours.  This gives the tablets time to work. 

• Posted

Thank you Lodger I might try that but every time I make a major change it takes so llong to ajust and I just can't tolerate the the foggy headed feeiing as it goes on most of the day.I am finally feeling better after my last experiment,one week of feeling bad hope it is over today was a very good day.Thank you so much for your response sometimes this illness makes you feel like the lone ranger nobody has ever heard of it let alone understands it.
    • Posted

Carol

Foggy Brain is actually not listed on the long list of side effects - but it should be.   We call it 'steroid brain fog' or 'treacle brain'. 

It does lessen but it can come and go, don't be downhearted you will get better abeit slowly.  

On the upside, you can get away with all sorts of things by blaming the 'fog'. wink

• Posted

A study showed that taking pred in the morning had less effect on the adrenal glands producing its own corticosteroid, cortisol, in the early morning. However, that is not the problem in PMR, you are looking for the best result for the lowest dose to reduce the incidence of side effects.

If taking it at midnight means your side effects are masked by being asleep - that's better than taking it early morning and spending a lot of the morning feeling bleugh. Or whatever time/split works best for you.

• Posted

Eileen, is 2 am in the morning the otimum time to take the uncoated tablets....regardless of the dose you are on..
    • Posted

Yes, probably.

It is meant to achieve the best relief of morning stiffness so often you can get away with a lower dose - proven in a study.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen.  Could you possibly point me to the study?
    • Posted

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm in China and have had no internet access for the last 10 days. No I can't point you to the study - it was one done for a German pharmaceutical company to provide information for drug development and I don't know if it was published or if so where.
    • Posted

OK thanks Eileen.  

Hope you're enjoying China.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.