Prednisone and kidney stones

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone ever had problems with kidney stones while on prednisone?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi carol, no I can't say that I have well I've not been diagnosed with them anyway and I am aware of the symptoms as my husband  had them last year followed by an operation to remove them

if I could just make everyone aware that if you are taking large (over 500mgs) amounts of vit c it is very important to also take the RDA of magnesium to help prevent kidney stones. All the best, regards, christina 

• Posted

Thank you Christina I went to the gp about a month ago about this pain in my right flank felt like abladder infection could not find evidence of it .Started again yesterday.Not excruciating just uncomfortable. better this am Several of my family members have had stones.If it continues I will go back.I read that pred can cause this mainly in women
  • Posted

Ask for your Clacium levels to be checked.  Excess can cause stones and crystals.
    • Posted

Carol,

Yes about a month ago I had that same issue. I have had PMR for about 1 year and been on predict the same time frame. I am at 8 mg at the present. My urologist did not seem to think there was any connection but I will be curious to see how many "yes's" you get.

I was told it was most likely my salt intake. I was not taking calcium supplements but was taking vitamin d at the time

Best of luck

Dave

• Posted

For the first time in my life I got a kidney stone about a month ago.  I am 67 and have had PMR for about 2 years now.  As with all the other side effects, I guess I am not suprised that this is one of them.  Don't know if it has passed or not but had one pain incident about 2 weeks ago, took pain medicine, went back to sleep in 1/2 hour and that is it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.