Achilles Rupture: Rehab and physio - advice needed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I ruptured my Achilles playing football in May and will be out of my aircast boot after 8 weeks conservative treatment. Can anyone provide good advice and set my expectations of rehab, getting back to walking, stairs, cycling, shoes/ trainer/ barefoot, tightness of Achilles, pain? , length of time to walk a decent distance etc etc. I want to get back to playing golf, gentle exercise as I coach my sons football team.  Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephen. I share your problem and what a bloody roller coaster ride it is.

I ruptured mine on 24th April playing squash and I am in my last week with a boot after an operation. I have nearly gone mad a few times but see the light now. I plan on hearing what docs advice is this Thursday (boot off time & massive mile stone).

I believe the hospital offer physio but will probably speed the recovery further by going private as I hear it is the best route. I can't offer too much advice but going private for physio can be the key to the best way forward. I have been told it can take a few weeks of post boot physio to get walking & running. It all depends how much exercise and specific working outs you put in.

All the best

Dom

• Posted

Similar conservative treatment here, 65 yrs old, popped back in September. My NHS physio was great gettting me back on my feet again, suggesting exercises etc which YOU MUST DO!! 10 months down, and the tendon is fine, but my calf muscle is still weak, and can nearly (not quite) do a toe stand. I got gel supports prescribed by the podiatry guys at NHS and that helped walking a lot. Still got a bit of numbness on the ball of the heel, and the ankle is a bit stiff still. However, did 6 miles of fottpath yesterday, no problems (apart from insects). Had a couple of private physio sessions, but they keep saying do the exercises! No pain though.
    • Posted

PS My GP got me a gym refferal (some time ago, for something completely different) but I'm still going 3 or 4 times a week; nothing too heavy, but it keeps things mobile. Not sure if thats universal in the NHS but I got 12 weeks at a much reduced rate. And the sauna and steam room is good!
  • Posted

Hi Stephen, take alook at my discussion i recreated goes over my whole experiance.
  • Posted

I am now 11 weeks post rupture. I was non op, in a boot for 7 weeks and weight bearing and walking in the boot after 3 weeks. Since the boot came off, I have been very careful as a friend of mine re-ruptured after 14 weeks. I had 2/3 weeks of significant swelling of entire lower leg, but kept on walking and doing my basic physio. I still have tightness of the achilles and an aching heel when I walk, but that is getting less each day. Last week I played 9 holes of golf, walking the course and will continue to be careful about what I do and for how long. My sense is that this will still be a long process, but I remain positive and hope that my progress continues. For all those out there that are in the midst of a boot and uncertainty, there is hope and a path to normality. I am now on Stage 2 of learning g to walk and building calf muscle back and looking forward to stage 3 of no limping and more physio.
    • Posted

That calf muscle takes forever to get back to strength. 10 moths and mine is still weak, unable to toe stand without taking some weight off. I'm trying Electro Muscle Stimulation, recomended by a friend; not sure if its doing any good yet, but it does tickle!

• Posted

Hi Stephen, i am nearly 15 weeks post op. I am now finally walking with a limp and my knee is really achy, probably due to the heavy boot that we had to endure. hopefully shke the knee problem away!! btw how did your friend re-rupture their leg again?.shocker

all the best

• Posted

Hi Dom

I was just walking along the flat when it reruptured

guess it never really healed properly as gap was quite big

this was only found out when I insisted on a scan second time round

Im now back walking with a limp after nearly 5 weeks in plaster and eight weeks in boot 

Happy days Andy

• Posted

Hi Andy. Must have been a terrible experience. I am so sorry to hear. 

Did you originally have the op & did you have a second one?

all the best

• Posted

No none Op first time but wish I'd pushed for a scan first time round

I would urge every one starting off with achillies rupture to push for scan to see what damage has been done and how large the gap is

Then make the decision of Op or not 

They found a 4cm gap when they did scan and said that it would not heal very well without an Op

Im getting there now thank goodness but was on a bit o a downer when it when again :-)

• Posted

Hi I'm so glad that I read your update. I injured my achilles as well, and I'm 9 weeks non-op. I wear a CAM walker boot to get around. I can walk without it, but there will be a noticeable limp. I can't stand on my toes yet which is frustrating because I really want to do the eccentric heel drop exercises. Furthermore, I can barely flex my calf muscle. But enough about me. I was wondering how you were doing, and if you could keep me updated with your recovery process. Are you feeling better yet, and are you able to do rehab exercises? If so, which ones can you do? I would totally appreciate your response, for it will be of great help to me.
    • Posted

I passed the one year aniversary last friday; conservative treatment, 65 yr old. Calf is still not fully functional and i still can't toe stand, but its slowly getting there. Tendon is fine, still nervous going down stairs, but i can do 6 miles walking on rough ground. Guessing another 3 months?
    • Posted

Congrats, if that is the right response from this horrible injury. Thanks for all your advice and help since mine in May. Stephen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.