Withdrawing from Tramadol lasts..

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffer with Rhumatoid Arthritis and so have been on all sorts of pain killers and medicines, opiate based seem to be the only ones that genuinely work. I have struggled with addiction until finally learning my tolerances and tapering etc. etc. so I can take them safely without doing myself in.

I tried Tramadol, they stopped me sleeping and effected my mood. I am also on an SSRI, they interacted and caused wierd symptoms so I have stopped them and gone back to Dihydrocodeine so physical symptoms are pretty mild.

I am however suffering severe mood swings still; depression, insomnia, RLS, muscle pain...

It has been exactly a week, does anyone know how long these issues might last? As I am struggling at the moment, struggling to keep up with work and responsibilties. I know it will end, I am positive about this, just looking for a time frame!

(I have a Dr. app on the 28th)

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you had a case of serotonin toxicity. (Tramadol should not be given to patients on SSRIs.) If that's the case, it could take a while to get back in balance. Everyone is different, but I would guess about 2 weeks. When starting SSRI therapy it typically takes 1 to 4 weeks for changes to stabilize, so I would think that reversal would be much the same. Sometimes it can take even longer, but about 2 weeks is typical.

How long were you on the tramadol?

• Posted

greetings - i was taking tramadol at the same time as an SNRI + codiene - the WD's ( mainly mental) took over 3 weeks to disapate - though it vary's for each individual Tramadol WD's seem to linger for longer than opiate WD's in general - this is generally related to how long you have been taking them and what amount - it will get better, just takes time, i found the effects wore off very gradually - all the best -
  • Posted

Ask your doctor for medication that helps with restless legs syndrome so you can get some sleep at night. I was prescribed Pramipexole here in the USA and Clonodine to help with the withdrawal from Tramadol. I was also prescribed Xanax for the anxiety it caused. But after my wean from Tramadol I had to wean from Xanax. It helped but it was a long tormented wean for me. The names of medications varies from country to country. Hope this helps. USAngel
  • Posted

Good morning friend,

I took Tramadol for 2 years for chronic lower back pain. I too struggle with over medicating. When I stopped (cold turkey) the process was absolutely agonizing. But to answer your question, two weeks was about the time frame. As others have mentioned, it is determined by ones metabolism. The good news is that you're half way there and it could possibly take less time. Let me be absolutely clear, however long it takes you will thank yourself for the effort. Hang in there because if I could do it anyone can; trust me!

• Posted

I also struggle with severe withdrawal from Tramadol. I have not lasted one day without giving in to take another pill.

I suffer severe paratheasia, weakness, anxiety, pain in my legs, and suicide thoughts. I am also on Nuzak anti-depressants.

\

Is there any other medication that can be taken for Tramadol withdrawal?

• Posted

I just wish to make an observation as well. I am a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, and the withdrawal from Tramadol is not very different to that of GHB and heroin, and just as addictive! I know this from personal experience.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.