I have a question about sleeping !

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all

I have had trouble falling asleep lately , and always wake up around 3 am,  not to be  able to go back to sleep again .

It is not that I am so much in pain at night (evening is the worst ) , so I am wondering if my trouble with sleep is related to the frozen shoulder or something else ? I have a hard time fonctionning at work with the sleep deprivation and I am thinking if maybe a sleeping pill will help ?

Is there anyone that used sleeping pills and does it work ? Does people have a hard time sleeping because of the pain ?

Thanks for sharing your experiences .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have a lot of trouble sleeping. Have been getting between 1-3 hours a night for months and months mainly due to pain.

I'm sure when the time comes one lovely day and I'm pain free I may have trouble sleeping as you get into the habit of disturbed sleep.

I don't like the idea of taking sleeping tablets myself but have just started to take night time Kalms. Unfortunately due to pain these don't work either but may work for you!

• Posted

Hello Ann

Wow... 1-3 hours sleep at night for months must be just horrible.I am sorry to hear that .I don't like the idea of sleeping tablets either...it is just sometimes you just want to fall asleep !!!

Hope you get more sleep soon .

• Posted

Here I am again at 3.12am still awake. Don't know what to do with myself. So so tired! Covered shoulder in gel and taken another Kalm. Hoping it will work soon! 😞
    • Posted

Feeling your pain .... Try to concentrate on deep breathing ,maybe it will help a bit . Wishing you some peaceful rest .
    • Posted

Will try. Couple of friends treated me to a reflexology and reiki session today to see if that would help sleep.

Not worked yet. Getting desperate now! 😔

• Posted

I was unable to sleep mostly because my shoulder would start to throb in the middle of the night (always around 3AM).  Sleeping pills helped but not always.  I found I was just so uncomfortable and once I woke up the throbing was enough to keep me up for an hour or two (or the rest of the night).  I started keeping ibuprofen next to my bed for that reason.

That all being said, I would not recommend taking sleeping pills every night.  It is important to understand where you are in the process and Ambien would knock me out.

I started taking ibuprofen and Calm (which is just magnesium) at night and that would really help me sleep well for at least 4-5 hours and then in the middle of the night I would take more ibuprofen to get through until morning.  I did start running in the early morning too which helped wear me out and make me go to bed earlier in the evening etc... 

Regardless, I also love the Badger Sore Joint Balm.  They have a warm and a cool and both worked great to relax my shoulder at night.  

I am doing much better now (after 7 months of sleepless nights).  I got a Cortisone shot that helped although it has been 3 weeks and every now and again I feel a little pain and know it is coming back.  I may just do another shot in 3-4 weeks and see if I can manage it.  If not, the I am going to try MUA.  

So I would knock myself out early twice a week with Ambien.  The other nights I would take Calm (Magnesium powder) and ibuprofen.  There were times when I would just cry because I was so worn down with the constant pain and sleepless nights.  But you will find a way to manage it.  If you are in the UK maybe try Calm (not Kalm) and Nurofen Plus.  Those use to work well for me when I lived over there (we can not get them here in the US).  

• Posted

Hello April

Thanks for your reply.I will check out the magnesium powder.Lack of sleep is so hard to deal with !!

• Posted

I found that, once I had FS, I didn't move around naturally while sleeping. As a consequence I used to wake up frozen solid (always 3am!). Not cold, just rigid, often with calf cramps. Once the FS pain was under control, I slept better, for longer (regular Bowen therapy & massage worked for me... continues to work).

I hope you find a solution that works for you, but sleeping tablets always left me thirsty and dull-headed. And I didn't feel rested, just stiff!

• Posted

Hello Claire 

Thanks for your reply.I have slept better lately so I think I am gonna keep the  sleeping pills for  cases of extreme exhaustion .I will check out Bowen therapy too.All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.