can anyone help I have arthritis in my toe getting more painful

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my big toe a few years ago I'd not had much trouble with it until the last year or so it's really starting to hurt I find it hard to wear heels now but still need to wear them now and again to stop my toe locking can anyone help please 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Are you sure you haven't got Gout.

Gout is also Arthritis and is treated with Naproxen and Allopurinal Tablets.

I have both Gout in my feet and joints as well as Arthritis in my Knee's and now fingers.

Gout can be detected by the amount of Uric Acid in your Urine and with Blood Tests.

Speak with your GP again and request they do both Urine and Blood Tests for you.

Hope this helps you. Angie C

• Posted

Definitely arthritis test's done at both GP and Hospital. But I think I still need to go back to GP for different treatment 
    • Posted

Hi Twixxxo; it sounds good to know that it is only in your Toe.....my suggestion would be to get  a referral to a Rhuematologist and ask for a  Steroid Injection into the joint, as this Really helps in the healing process ,and decreases the impact of Arthrites.............I had about 3 (with intervals of 3 months apart), into All of my affected joints (and there were many), but this was at least 5 years+ ago, and have Very little pain in joints now (am able to control any discomfort by taking Osteopanadal and some Voltaren when they do become annoying, such as when cold).....I am certain that the injections made all the difference.....the Cortisone stops the inflammation progressing  (you will read how Prednisone is also used for treating many Inflammatory conditions....and Cortisone and Prednisone are the same medication....and by using these few injections, you will not have any of the common side affects that others get from  Prednisone !!  Hopefully you will trial and see how you go....it is well worth it..........winkBron
    • Posted

Hi again,Yes definitly go back to your GP, all to often people are told they have Arthritis but there are different types which can be treated in different ways. It is unlikely that it can ever be cured but the pain can becontrolled if you get the right diagnoses. Cold and Damp makes mine more painful though its not proven the weather inpacts on Arthritis (they need to listen to the sufferers) 

I wish you luck but do keep asking for moresupport from your GP.

PS. I started with pains in the toes before suffering excruciating pain in the feet,only then did they check for gout which as said before is controlled by medication.  

• Posted

Hi Angela;   Twixxo has said that both the GP and the hospital have diagnosed Arthrites.....presumably by x-ray (for Osteoarthrites)....if other types of Arthrites (such as Rhuematoid/psoriatic/gout etc ) they would have been tested, and results confirmed by bloods.....which again, I think if suspicious by redness/swelling , or if already suffered from Psorias before this, they would have ordered blooods.......Bron
    • Posted

Twixxo doesn't say so to any of that if you read what she has written. Its not for me to presume that her local NHS is any better than any other, I have replyed to her question to the best of my knowledge so it is up to Twixxo to either take or ignore.
    • Posted

Angela; please do read what Twixxo has said.............her reply to you states that she has been to GP and hospital and definately diagnosed with Arthrites...................

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.