11 weeks post op.. water tabs for swelling ??

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi there, i am now 11 weeks post op, double bunion hammer toe, swelling still there and on ankles... still very sore and still, my GP has given me anibiotics and water tablets ??? i dont really want to take them and cant really understand why i should have to take these... for swelling ?? worried !!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

It does sound odd as you would think antibiotics would only be to fight an infection? I don't know re the water tablets either as I would be thought the swelling is normal if you are on your feet a lot?? Are you off somewhere hot? Maybe that has seething to do with the water tablets but I don't know what?

Poor you!!

• Posted

hi michelle, thanks for getting back, yes thats what i thought infection, but my wounds have healed nicely, its just the swelling, i am seeing my surgeon on 4th ill seek advice from him, as for the water tablets i am off to spain on 11th, but i really dont need to be running to the loo as running is off the menu at the moment with the feet !!! lol x
  • Posted

I have no idea about this sorry. Best thing to do would be to ask your doctor why.
    • Posted

thank you carole for replying, yes i will be having a word with the surgeon on the 4th August, take care x
    • Posted

In response to other posts,have you tried dry body brushing? This is meant to help with circulation  and swelling. It's good for cellulite too! Google it it might help.
  • Posted

Hi Gillee, hope you ok. Did the GP not offer any advice as to his decision. I am 12 weeks with the first foot  this week and. My foot still swells. I still try to elevate it when sitting. I had a one off visit with the physio and she advised me to massage the foot quite hard and to pull the big toe up and down several times a day. She also said to massage the scars very hard, which I have done with bio oil. It has helped the swelling. If there are no signs of infection I wouldnt want to take antibiotics. Did the GP think you had water retention. Diuretics are a bit extreme. Maybe you could consider seeing one of the other GP's at your practice. Good luck and have a great holiday, Denise
    • Posted

hi denise, he only said ill give you water tabs for swelling, and antibiotics incase you have an infection inside !! i have not got them from chemist as i dont want to take them, to be honest with you he is an old doctor lol.... so i am seeing the surgeon on 4th, i only went to see the doctor to ask advice about flying with the swelling.. even with that just said yes your be fine !!! came out totally confused, thanks for reply denise much appreciated x
    • Posted

Well at least you will see the consultant before your holiday and that gives you another week before flying. Good luck, let us know what he says. Denise x
  • Posted

Hi gillie, at about 2 months I took water tablets from health shop because my feet were so swollen and I didn't know what else to do.  But when I mentioned this to the surgeon he said water tablets won't make a difference, poo pood them!  I found they worked in the first week but after that no difference, so stopped.  Then I read here about massaging the foot, as Den mentioned, also the lymph gland gets blocked so I massaged along each side of my calf and under the knee, which is where the drainage point is for your leg.   There is a marked difference now, but I do still get swollen ankles on bad days or when I've sat at a chair for too long.  I'm now 4 months, and so pleased I learnt about the toe movement and deep massage of scar because it does ease the stiffness and prob the swelling.  

I wish these surgeons would give advice on recovery, so pleased we have this forum.

• Posted

hi barbara, thanks for getting back to me x yes i have heard so much about the massage effect, so i will be starting that tomorrow for sure, i have been a bit reluctant to do it before now because of the numbness and sensitivity but even though touching my turns still hurts i am going to give it a go tomorrow, ohoooo i am just so fed up with the whole thing at the moment barbara i have so tried to get back to some normality but just feel so tired and when the feet hurt i just sort of think ohooo whats the point, i guess  its just a low week this week, i will not be taking the tablets i think the healing just has to take its course... this site has been a god send to me... because so many people dont understand how you feel or what your going through, some stupid family member had the cheek to say to me blimey a broken toe dont take the time your feet are taking.... honestly good job my feet hurt because i wanted to put it right in his mouth lol !!! i am just looking forward to some real positive days, thank you barbara x
    • Posted

Oh gillie you made me chuckle when I read about your rely, maybe need to send them the YouTube showing the actual operation.  

I forgot to mention that I've been drinking detox tea for a couple of weeks and that helps. Just one a day.  Also green tea is good.  I just take the detox for a few weeks every now and then, always done and it does help with water retention.

Though I get the ideas and info from this forum I then go on YouTube to find out more.  There are a few that show you how to manipulate your toe.  I found them helpful. They are

Exercise for big toe following bunion operation (Shelton Nadal) and

Post-op bunion surgery exercises: Range of Motion (Emily).

i only do this once day in morning.  Sometimes not at all if I don't feel like it.  I do have a lovely straight tie, but I didnt know I'd lose so much movement in it, I wonder if it will ever com back.  I'm seeing the surgeon on 5th next week about my middle toe, it was hammer toe and hasn't really healed properly.  I'll let you know how it goes.  

• Posted

I too was recommended water tablets for the swelling because you have excess fluid building in your ankles and feet.  At 11 weeks this is to be expected so perhaps you could try and see if it helps if not don't take.
  • Posted

He most likey thinks your retaining fluid which can cause swelling in the ankles
  • Posted

Hi Gilleegreen

I'm 4 weeks post op, I took Serrapeptase for swelling as family in Germany had op and was given it to speed up healing. Apparently it's standard for foot and knee ops where she is and I've had minimal swelling so happy with it. As one of other comments said wiggling toes and massaging area, raising foot as much as possible will help reduce swelling and improve circulation. Drinking good water regularly will help flush body of any toxins it's trying to deal with rather than them recirculating. Wishing you well on your holidays

• Posted

hi julie, thank you for getting back to me, i will certainly try all what has been advised, and i am starting the massaging too, funny enough i have been drinking lots of water today and for some reason i have had a better day, infact its been one of the best days since having it done, its only a little bit of improvement but i am grateful for that, thank you so much julie for your help i so appreciate this site and the people who help, dont know what i would do without it, wishing you well too and hope your soon be up and running again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.