Any advise

Posted , 7 users are following.

ive had FS for about 6 months now in my left shoulder.

im hoping I'm going into the second stage or " frozen stage" 

can anyone tell me if my range of motion will get worse or will it stay the same. Also will the pain start to decrease or will it also stay the same.

my doctor told me there was no treatment to just try to keep moving and I'm trying. The pain in the day is not quiet as bad as it was a few months ago. But it has good and bad times. The night is still the worst. Nothing helps. 

Any ideas on what the next few months have I store for me?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What I found very helpful was to work with a physiotherapist and massage therapist to help improve my range of motion. They can also suggest exercises you can do at home. It will help you get better much more quickly. Otherwise it is a slow process.
    • Posted

I have a friend who is also suffering from FS she started on PT and I started on anti inflammatory meds. Hers is much more Frozen than mine and more painful. My doctor said no PT at this stage as it tends to make the inflammation worse. I've read all I can on this condition and it's all rather vague. What helps one doesn't help the other. I just wish someone could tell us all how to fix it as quickly and as painlessly as possible. I am still taking anti inflammatorys pain killers and I do gentle excercise. I limit what I do and don't push my good arm as it to has a few of the same pains. Fingers crossed for that one. 

Im at a loss to get anything out of doctors. I'm in Australia and it seems not very much is known about the condition here. We just tend to put up with it and not go and get medical advise.

• Posted

I have had this vile condition since dec last year still have pain but since last Sunday have had  guided cortisone injection and the difference is immense I can sleep better but my range of movement is worse and will continue to get worse in second stage. If they offer you a scan with a guided injection try it  am also taking tramadol 3 times a day. I think from what my consultant says the movement in second stage will get worse before third stage ( unfreezing) I hope you feel better very soon x
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I've had one injection a few months ago. No improvement. I hope you are wrong about the ROM getting worse. I'm on my own and no help available. Have managed so far, but not sure if I loose more movement.

all the best.

• Posted

Well many people have said its different for everyone.

i have just come back from the doctors today and she has given me anti inflammatory tablets as well as tramadol doesn't want to see me again unless it gets worse then I have to have an op to manoeuvre it under anisthetic to loosen it up she says little is know about this condition and not. A lot of help .It take about 2 yrs and then it goes away on its own.

my physio said the best excersise is to stand next to a wall sideways and with your bad are use your finger s to walk up the wall try and get it as high as you can then every get your fingers a little higher x hope this helps

• Posted

Ihave had FS  sice OCT2012. Opertaions, MUA, steroids injections, Xrays,MRI's and Ultrasounds. My last visit to consultant with a view to my last ultrasound, showed the shoulder is still catchin and inflammationis quite bad. He decided to inject steroids again straight away and if no improvement in two months then another op. There is treatment for sure, but what works for one does not another. The pain is the worse to deal with. When I first  got diagnosed the physi told me I just had pain and it will go, as I could manage to do everything she asked me. 10 weeks later pain beyond belief I paid to see a private consultant and osteo. FS has a mind of its own. I have taken so many steps forward, then other days have set me back. Hang onto the fact it can't last for ever. 
  • Posted

I am pretty much exactly where you are Gayle, 6 months in,left shoulder, had injections, didn't help sad I have not had the "zingers" ( sharp shooting pains) in a while, but am still in a lot of pain every day ( and night). I am thinking I will probably end up doing the capsule release surgery, I can not continue to function like this for another year +!! Make sure you check out the FB group "Frozen shoulder friends". There is a ton of great people and a lot of support on there!
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice and support. We are all trying to deal with this awful thing as best we can. I'm hoping it will not come to an operation and hoping it will not get any worse or go into my other arm. 

Pill keep in touch and let you all know if my doctor comes up with anything. He doesn't want to see me until September or if I think I need him. It takes such a long time to get to see anyone here and by the time you do things have progressed. 

Im glad I found this site only by talking to people with the same problem can you sometimes find answers.

• Posted

Hi Gayle,  sorry to hear of another sufferer, we all know the dilemmas you face and it is true that what works for one doesnt another however my advice is this:

1.  Ensure correct diagnosis before any treatment.  FS may be one cause of the problem.  I had two causes and the first injury caused the FS.  Symptoms of first stage FS can also be caused by other conditions or with even a minor injury.  This could ONLY be diagnosed through an MRI to at least rule out other/additional problems, so insist on getting one, took me 14 months of battles with NHS to get one.  Advice without results of MRI caused me more problems when told to keep moving it - consultant advised this was wrong.

2.  Consider the neck in any implications of a cause, if a link then ask for a referral to a neurologist/spine consultant.

3.  If referred to physio for any shoulder injury or problem they must understand FS - many don't know more than the basics.  sometimes rest is the best medicine.

I know of 5 people personally all presenting with the same symptoms bizarrely - 1 was a rotator cuff injury, not diagnosed for months and became FS too,  2  saw a neurologist had surgery on neck C5 cured the shoulder problems in both, 1 injury to bone causing overgrowth and impingment had MUA and shaving and  was instantly cured.  My daughter in her twenties left with a FS after car accident but no pain with it ever - she had one session of radial shockwave therapy after 3 years of it being stuck and it immediately got it moving!

and of course me with an impingment from overgrowth of bone because of injury and FS awaiting MUA and shaving of the bone.  I am waiting to find out if the FS graduallly improves by itself but will the impingement symptoms also improve in an attempt to avoid surgery. Asking the hospital today.  I understand the pain subsides naturally and then it can take a further 12 to 18 months to recover full movement but may never be back to what it once was.

Mine started to ease in the day and was still bad at night, then began easing in the night too.  If I overuse it in any way it sets me back so self massage it and gentle moves only.  

sorry, I always seem to send long replies to people !

wishing you all the best x 

Some people do not improve after surgery and trigger the FS all over again and I am worried about having it because the pain has reduced significantly in the last few weeks I amactually  feeling vaguely human again but with a stuck arm.

• Posted

hi, I tried physio, deep tissue massage, stretching with some relief. One day I woke up with my shoulder completely frozen and in so much throbbing pain. I contacted an osteopath who tried stretching my arm out.  she refered me to a well reknown chiropractor in Canada who specializes in shock wave therapy.  I was desperate so I went. He has a three point program- yes, expensive and not covered- but you are an important investment. he was willing to give %10 off if paying for two sessions at a time. I'm on session 6 after the past 3 weeks.  $75 a time otherwise.  

Sessions last about 15 minutes.  time breakdown consists of- 10 minutes of acupuncture, 5 minutes of intense shock wave therapy which is suppose to break down the scar tissue and encourage the area to start healing again- do not take an anti-inflamatory- and then manipulation and stretching.  First few appointments I was in so much pain.  I declined pain killers bc of the type of work I am in.  I found extra strength tylonel thank goodness worked and the topical Bell roll on pepper cream joint relief worked at night with heat.  I had to practice hanging my arm and swinging it and creeping my hand up a wall.  I could not do either as my arm felt stuck in several places.  Throbbing pain stopped and mild aching only.  Third and fourth session started to be able to reach my arm up and out.  Now on 6th, still some aching bc of some postural issues- almost full movement in arm.  Was recommended to take some joint lubricant - one type has shellfish so I couldn't take it bc of an allergy- I will start taking it tomorrow.  I was told to avoid a cortesone shot as it just masks problem and does not treat actual problem.  I am hoping that this therapy continues to be successful and is not as frequent. I would recommend the investment as it apparently cuts the recovery time in half and helps with the ability to unfreeze shoulder much sooner. I wanted to share bc I did not see much on this.  All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.