Hair products (pomade, etc) that won't aggravate dermatitis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and face and my current hair product seems to make it worse. Any products out there that I should look into?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Walterw, I have been washing my hair with Epaderm ointment for about 2 years now. Basically, it emulsifies on contact with water and becomes milky. I rub it on first (both hair and skin), and then massage in and rinse off in the shower. It's great with short hair - could be more of a challenge with long hair. It is also great as a substitute for hair gels or waxes. Might be worth a try? Good luck

Anthea

• Posted

Thanks. Do you mean that it can be used after the shower in place of a hair gel? Or that if you shampoo with it, your hair becomes of a consistency that you don't need a hair gel?
  • Posted

Hi Walterw, if you rinse well, most of the epaderm disappears. It can then be re-applied in very small amounts to your hair (perhaps just after you've massaged it into your hands, so it's a very thin layer).

Best wishes, Anthea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.