Saratonin

Posted , 7 users are following.

I don't know if you know this but one reason to be aware about taking Tramadol,especially if you are on other depression meds,  Tramadol containjs Saratonin uptake and too much Saratonon in your brain could cause Seratonon syndrome which is not pretty.

For this reaso I got off of the med. I t was not doing me much good anyway.

Excuse m but I think I might have spellideaed Seratnon wrong

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Really makes me feel great about the doctor who says take more, take it every 5 hours on the nose, even though I told him ugh I don't want to kill my liver. His reply, They give this to paitents with liver issues. Oh, when I first started the medicine , I was taking Flexril too , the nurse called me 3 days later telling me not to take the FLexril.
    • Posted

Tramadol is frequently give to liver patiensts simply because it doesn't contain acetominophen (paracetamol), and because they think it is safer than opiates.
  • Posted

This is what I've been warning about. And even if you aren't on other SSRI drugs, why take an SSRI if all you need is pain relief?
  • Posted

But that kind of "situational" depression is not caused by an imbalance of serotonin, and so does not require serotonin manipulation. This kind of patient would be better served by taking benzodiazapines, or just bear with it as it resolves itself naturally.

In cases where both pain remediation and serotonin manipulation is required, it is still best to take two drugs separately. This allows the patient to deal with cessation one drug at a time, making withdrawal easier (in theory).

• Posted

So true..I guess I am mainly talking about clinical depression. I wonder though; if situational depression could become clinical or chemical depression result by mixing it up. Is this what you are talking about? If so, point well taken.
  • Posted

Right.

It's just my personal opinion, but I believe that serotonin manipulation is taken much too lightly, by both doctors and patients, and should only be done as a last resort.

• Posted

We certainly agree here. It took me alot of interdialouge and years to arrive at this same conclusion.
  • Posted

Tramadol been on it over a year now was on 8 per day down too 4 also on amitriptyline 30-40 mg for nerve pain 
    • Posted

Hopefully you are not any takeing Seritonian uptake filled meds.....like for depressions....as you have enough of that. I just hope you don't have Seratonin Syndrome..........look it up.

If it take that many pills it is the wrong med for you.

• Posted

Amatriptyline isn't an SSRI or SSUI, so it doesn't directly affect serotonin levels. But its use for nerve pain is strictly an "off label" indication. That's the kind of thing a doctor will throw at you when he doesn't know what else to do, just so it looks like he's done something

• Posted

Hi David! Have been looking for info online about tramadol and SSRI and cant find anything about how long a very small amount stays in the system! Would really be glad if anyone knows about this!

Two years ago I was on holiday in Indonesia and the pharmacy there sold me some tramadol for a painful injury. (Now it makes sense why felt so great on that stuff!) I took it on holidays and switched to panadine when back in Australia.

A couple of months later I was prescibed Paroxetine (Paxil) for Depression and anxiety. My GP at the time (and the pharmacist) asked if I was on any other meds at the time. I had taken only a couple of the tramadol within the previous two weeks because had run out of panadine, but it was a whole four days between the last tramadol and starting the Paxil. They said no worries it would be fine.

Three days on Paxil and I woke up at 2am to experience the scariest few hours of my life. Severe sweating, shaking, fast heart rate, hullucinations, out of control suicidal thoughts - I wanted to jump off my 10 story apartment complex. A family member came around and we were going to go to emergency but I was able to calm down. Couldnt sleep at all that night but calmed down abit.

The GP the next day said it was impossible for it to have been seratonin syndrome, but i am not convinced. 

Two years later I have been diagnosed with bipolar II but the idea of taking medication scares me SO SO MUCH that I have panic attacks when starting anything new because Im so scared of a repeat of that night. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.